Rebuilding Haiti

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I liked this article from today's NYTimes:

"To Heal Haiti, Look to History, Not Nature":
Op-Ed Contributor - To Heal Haiti, Look to History, Not Nature - NYTimes.com

"..the United States and other donors could make a formal undertaking to ensure that the vast amounts that will soon pour into the country for reconstruction go not to foreigners but to Haitians — and not only to Haitian contractors and builders but to Haitian workers, at reasonable wages. This would put real money in the hands of many Haitians, not just a few, and begin to shift power away from both the rapacious government and the well-meaning and too often ineffectual charities that seek to circumvent it."

Reactions: mike l

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Preparatory Conference in Montreal

The Preparatory Conference of the Group of Friends of Haiti will be meeting today in Montreal. This is in preparation of the International conference that will take place in the Dominican Republic in April and where hopefully a good stategic plan for rebuilding will be hammered out.

Groups such as the Red Cross will have a chance to make presentations in Montreal at the Ministerial Preparatory Conference, but the talks would primarily serve as an overview of what's happening on the ground and reconstruction needs in the long term.

Participants will include foreign ministers and delegates from the following countries and organizations:
• Haiti.
• Group of Friends of Haiti: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, France, Mexico, Peru, United States, Uruguay.
• Other major donors and key regional and multilateral partners engaged in Haiti: Japan, Spain, European Union.
• Neighbouring Caribbean country: Dominican Republic.
• International organizations: United Nations, World Bank, International Monetary Fund, Caribbean Development Bank, Organization of American States, CARICOM, International Monetary Fund, Inter-American Development Bank
Source:
CBC News - Canada - Haiti talks in Montreal focus on rebuilding

CTV News | Leaders to gather in Montreal for Haiti rebuilding talks

Reactions: mike l

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I don't know about thinking out of the box when the writer says.
Leftist lies be damned, it was never better governed than during the US interventions in the early 20th century

Another occupation perhaps?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Have you been inside a container when the temperature goes up to the 40 C. degrees???
Do you have an idea of how much $$$ you need to insulated one of those???

JJ

I was thinking that too. The radiant sun here in the caribbean will literally cook anybody in a metal structure. Been there done that. These container might be good for Canada or something but doubt you will get anybody to live in one here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Before they even think about rebuilding, they still need to put in potable water systems and sewage. So many times they dig one trench for both which leads to the water system being contaminated by the sewage. There are plenty of places in Sosua where you can see the municipal water leaking. When it loses pressure the sewage can leak into it through the breaks.

Realize that PaP is about the size of Chicago. It is not going to be a small project. I'm with Wyclef in saying about 2 million need to move back to the countryside.

Equally and possibly of greater importance is the trash situation in the capital. For anyone who has been there, even if you have lived in the DR, it is staggering and without proportion.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He is right about that, however you look at it. And, while we are at it, the same thing could be said for the UN intervention in the DR....Certainly not PC here, but look at the facts..and forget blaming the US for Trujillo...

Haiti will need massive assistance. Will it come from the DR? It d@mn well should. The DR should take the forefront of the rebuilding efforts. We have the know-how, the equipment and the people to do it with (Haitians, as I said about two weeks ago and everyone else seems to agree!).

Who will pay? The international community. Maybe France and Quebec whose gay communities were responsible for the enormous increase in HIV/AIDS in Haiti in the 80s and 90s....Nobody seems to remember that......

In any event, the DR should lead...and, truth be said, profit enormously, from this event.

HB

Reactions: Chip and cobraboy

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Dear HB,

You've just opened a whole new can of worms. Do you know how many people will say... "DR has profited enough from the misery of Haiti." Who is to say that Haiti will take advise/direction from us? I bet you there will be a rumor that we are doing things the wrong way because we want them wiped out.

I think your suggestion is ideal and based on common sense. Unfortunately there are so many people who think of DR as the villain. So many people who think Haiti DESERVES to be better off than DR. There is very little chance these people will let DR help for a profit.

I hope that Haitians who've worked construction in DR are allowed (by Haiti) to go back and help rebuild. Further, I hope that DR is allowed to help anyway we could.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Haiti, please just say no!!! The CDEEE (Dominican Electrical Corporation)announced they are headed to Haiti to help with that country's electrical system. They've finished the job on this side of the island. Todo bajo control. That was my first reaction. Actually, I hope they can help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nothing wrong with the CDEEE technicians. What's wrong is gov't policy that allows 43% of the people to pay for the other 57% of the population that use electricity and do not pay for it, or are "subsidized." ...DR has very capable technicians...One issue might be to keep the gangsters like the guy that owns some of the smaller EDM generators [LAESA(?)] that are used to boost electricdity in outlaying areas...Pimentel for example...he gets 15? a kw/h, plus fuel plus parts (purchased from him as only supplier)...such a sweet deal....

However telephone service, electricity service will be a piece of cake compared to water and sewers....that's a big task...

However, the biggest task of all is, as has been mentioned here a lot, the change in culture of "gimme, gimme, gimme" ....

NOTE: Above I said "...UN intervention, when it should have said "...US intervention..." ..sorry.

HB

May 12, 2005
I would think with PaP leveled, putting in a sewer and sanitary service would be easy to accomplish when rebuilding begins. It should be the first thing that gets built. Then the roads, then the electrical grid, then the buildings.

Dj_iET

Sep 8, 2008
www.myspace.com
I pray That Haiti gets it right this time and the build it correctly.. though a great tragedy it is not time to move forward and come back stronger. I am an american of Haitian descent and though i have been to D.R. i never went to Haiti ( though my family is well off) it seemed like everytime i wanted to go things were going bad over there.. so with all the help and money that the world has given to Haiti i hope this time they get it right..

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
There is no doubt that for Haiti to truly progress it cannot be saddled with its international debts. Trying to get a leg up while the other is tripping is not the way to go. Debts need to canceled. Haiti will need grants for the next 5 to 10 years.

Oxfam Canada said it would urge the international community to cancel Haiti?s international debts, which, according to its estimate, total $890 million.

Haiti to Ask for $3 Billion at Donors Conference - NYTimes.com

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Chavez has ordered that the oil debts of Haiti in the framework of Petrocaribe be pardoned. Haiti does not need to pay for oil it will receive from Venezuela through the ALBA group.

Caracas, 25 ene (PL) El presidente venezolano, Hugo Ch?vez, orden? hoy condonar la deuda de Hait? con PETROCARIBE, una alianza en materia petrolera entre algunos pa?ses caribe?os con Venezuela.

Ch?vez ordena condonar deuda de Hait? con Petrocaribe :: Internacionales :: DiarioDigitalRD.com - Noticias Republica Dominicana

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
In any event, the DR should lead...and, truth be said, profit enormously, from this event.

HB

There are other people that have "profit enormously" in mind. After my return from the DR this past Sat. I caught up on my reading and saw that MR. Clinton is mentioned as a prime candidate to lead, and play an important role in the reconstruction of Haiti.

Now, that's not to say he will "profit" buuut, stanger things have happen in his career, have they not? :>

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I guess he could use the money, LOL...

But, seriously, the DR will probably be the conduit for most of what goes to Haiti. The airport at Barahona, the little place in Pedernales, the road into Haiti will all get big upgrades. Dominican rebar, cement, blocks, tiles, bath fixtures, and furnishings will all go into Haiti. And the conduit will provide trucks, drivers and stevedores for the freight that will be coming in for Haiti.

Dominican farmers will have incentives to increase production of mainstays like rice, beans, poultry and eggs and cheese, as well as plantains and other staples needed to feed that hungry population...And Haiti will/should benefit with reforestation programs, water conservation programs and infrastructure programs that will be long range...

For me: Schools and hospitals/education and health are the keystone. I once told a CNN interviewer that Haiti needed a school system the size of NYC's, and they need it yesterday!! He did not understand...They also need a health care system the size of NYCity...and yes, they need it yesterday, and now more than ever. All these little "do good" projects are nice to write blogs about and for sending missionaries to preach this and that, but they really do Jack with regard to the massive need for education...

This is the time to go in and DO IT....like Nike...swoosh!~

Gee, HB you have any ideas on Haiti...??

Well, now that you mention it......

HB

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I was thinking today that there might be a role for Michaelle Jean our Governor General. The Governor General of Canada Her term is coming to an end (5 years), it could be extended to seven but who knows maybe she could play a role there. She's held French citizenship, Canadian, why not return to Haiti?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In this article, the author has some interesting proposals for aid for Haiti.

He proposes that Royal Caribbean, which struck a great deal with the Haitian government for the area known as Labadee, come up with US$50 for every US$50 a cruise ship passenger can contribute. This is taking into consideration port taxes there are only US$6. Royal Caribbean for sure could oversee programs to increase the productivity of the north coast so that people from Port au Prince could locate there and find jobs.

Let them eat mudcake: Cruise ship docks at its trademarked private fantasy island of Labadee? in Haiti -- Signs of the Times News