reconstruction of the Fisherman's Village in Las Terrenas (Pueblo de los Pescadores)

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I have a $100.00 bet with a local Frenchie that Fisherman's Village would not be rebuilt by Christmas 2023. I think I'll be able to collect it soon enough. This video is about a month old. Hopefully, it'll be completed by Spring Break 2024. Just in time for another fire.

The reported cost to rebuild was $5Million. Not sure if bribes were included.

DRONE

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Video says it will be concrete and not wood construction. If find it hard to believe they would not build it a third time in wood.

Little chance it will be done for Xmas.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Video says it will be concrete and not wood construction. If find it hard to believe they would not build it a third time in wood.

Little chance it will be done for Xmas.

- maybe concrete blocks with wood roofs?

If this is the case, it might be easier to rebuild the next time the whole place burns down.

I suppose automatic fire sprinklers are not practical or feasible

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

If this is the case, it might be easier to rebuild the next time the whole place burns down.

Right. Requires a steady stream of high-pressure water. Not happening.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Right. Requires a steady stream of high-pressure water. Not happening.

Perhaps the new Fisherman's Village should have been rebuilt around a fire hydrant in the middle of the project. The firemen ran out of water the last time around!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

You don't see that a lot in the DR, though that is universal in Florida. What wouldn't surprise me is if they put thatch on the roofs like they do in Punta Cana.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Perhaps the new Fisherman's Village should have been rebuilt around a fire hydrant in the middle of the project. The firemen ran out of water the last time around!
Running out of water for a burning building next to the sea. Is salt water flammable?