Refrigerator Shelves - Where to find

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So I bought a fridge a few years ago for my house in The DR. Being the typical Dominicans that my caretaker (my grandpa) and the lady that cooks for him, etc are they have managed to break every single one of the shelves the fridge came with. Granted they weren't the best quality (The fridge is one of those they sell at La Sirena) to begin with, but still...They are just putting the food on the "floor" of the fridge (The most ridiculous thing I've seen) and haven't even bothered to try to look anywhere of course.

In the US if something like this happened you could contact the manufacturer and get replacements, albeit at a high cost most likely. In The DR I have no idea where would you even go to try to find these. I know the brand is 'Cetron' and the interior looks like this.

nevera-cetron-2-puertas_MRD-F-3727106145_012013.jpg

Some direction as to where to start if anyone knows would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about you make wood shelves? that would be a true dominican ingenuity spirit! :)
more seriously, what's the brand? did you check online? how about a place that fixes fridges, i have seen them and they look like graveyard for old machines used for parts only, maybe one of those dead fridges has shelves that fit?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
how about you make wood shelves? that would be a true dominican ingenuity spirit! :)
more seriously, what's the brand? did you check online? how about a place that fixes fridges, i have seen them and they look like graveyard for old machines used for parts only, maybe one of those dead fridges has shelves that fit?

That's the best place to go!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The brand is Cetron or something like that. I guess a place that fixes them is a good start...will have to ask around and see. I was thinking of having one of those guys who makes wrought iron "hierros" for windows and stuff to make me some out of metal...hopefully those will last.

Pollo: Grandpa is actually a very mellow fellow nowadays (sowed all his wild oats when he was young). 88 years old and strong as an ox, but a typical Dominican nonetheless where things just don't last...remember that thread from a few months back?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Ask in the store where it was bought. Our fridge is from Corippio and any missing or broken part they can provide.

May 29, 2006
I'd look for large nylon cutting boards, which are easy to cut and thick enough to hold the weight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have had refrigerator shelves repaired using fiber glass.

If you are making new shelves, perhaps you could get some thick glass, as is used in coffee tables, to fit.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Forget it! When it comes to some Dominicans, shelves made of metal is better than fiber glass, for fear of breaking again.:tired:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
The brand is Cetron or something like that. I guess a place that fixes them is a good start...will have to ask around and see. I was thinking of having one of those guys who makes wrought iron "hierros" for windows and stuff to make me some out of metal...hopefully those will last.

Pollo: Grandpa is actually a very mellow fellow nowadays (sowed all his wild oats when he was young). 88 years old and strong as an ox, but a typical Dominican nonetheless where things just don't last...remember that thread from a few months back?

You got it Suarezn, making the shelves out of metal is the way to go, will last you a lifetime.:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
WOOD, will get dirty, moldy,stinky,(Sounds Like My Wife!).
METAL will rust.(Stainless Steel costs too much, and you can't see what's on the next shelf)
Get a "Glass Guy" to cut you some heavy duty glass shelves to size.
He can round the edges, it will look great.
Then when "Papi" breaks them again, just be like "Doritos", "Crunch All You want, We'll Make MORE"!
I have a "Guy" if you are in SD.
It is always nice to see that I'm not the "Only One" who is the victim of too many "Dumb Dominican tricks"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Distribuidora Gonzalez just up the road from casa Nelson, they have 2 stores, the 2nd store has a repair centre upstairs.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans are amazing people. Did they deny breaking them too, or deny seeing someone else break them? When they broke mine I
left the damn thing that way. Refrigerators never lasted me more than a few years anyway so by the time I fixed them some
thing else was broken or the machine was dying. Even had a door rust off. The glass is a good idea but fragile. Be tough on
those Doms and find the most durable repair then sit back and see how long it takes them to destroy that too. They break all the glasses and plates so we had to go to all plastic which they manage to crack from time to time. Stainless steel plates and
glasses finally solved the breakage but not the disappearing problem. Took me a while but its now the norm and I have given
up even trying to find anyone responsible for anything. We blame everything on the dog and laugh but I still refuse to fix
anything.