Refugee Boat to Puerto Rico

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
???

and sharks. i understand that straight between DR and PR is infested with sharks. the sharks have found a constant food source there unfortunately which is why they seem to hang around in that area now.

btw can someone tell me why waters btwn DR and PR are infested with sharks but there are no sharks on the ocean off the north coast?
not that i want sharks.... just curious...

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
I don't think there are any more sharks in the Mona Passage than are in the Windward Passage at the other end of the island. And even though Las Galeras is located at the northern end of the passage, we don't have any more sharks than normal, and in fact, they are a somewhat rare catch. I seriously doubt that the Dominicans that are lost in the passage contribute to an increase in the shark population much less an infestation. I've seen (and caught) a heck of a lot more sharks in Florida and Bahamian waters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
??? !!!

still, i don't know, how come there is no sharks in DR waters?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Sharks and other predatory fish are found where there is a supply of food fish. Dr waters have been so fished out that there is no longer the abundance of fish that there once was. Fishermen take EVERYTHING (even sharks) in their plight to try and feed a hungry population. Once abundant reefs and grounds are now almost barren. And the divers walking the bottom using airhoses are now working over 100' deep and spear anything that moves. When I had my sportfisherman here, using my fishfinder I saw some of the prettiest bottom structure around this end of the peninsula that should have been full of fish but wasn't. Even out to 200' deep showed nary a fish. I gave up bottom fishing and concentrated on trolling for surface fish which is still OK, not great, but passable.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
That is just absolutely frighting - whether it was 30 or 300 in that little boat, sharks or no sharks.

Blah!

Nov 7, 2006
hmm yes this is a sad experience for these people. BUT as a Puerto Rican I can tell you this- not one of these people are wanted in PR. The only welcome they get from us is jail cell and a ticket back home. I hope that the authorities combined with a lil bit of mother nature will deter as many Dominicans from illegaly coming into Puerto Rico. You guys should work on the problems within your own country before starting problems in others.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I gave up bottom fishing and concentrated on trolling for surface fish which is still OK, not great, but passable.

Many foreigners living in the DR do nothing but bottom fishing in their romantic activities.

hmm yes this is a sad experience for these people. BUT as a Puerto Rican I can tell you this- not one of these people are wanted in PR. The only welcome they get from us is jail cell and a ticket back home.

The economy here in the DR remains a disaster for most of the people. Expect more visitors on yolas.