renewing a British passport

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I regularly use DHL in Santiago. Documents with a weight of less than 1 kilo cost $(RD)1300 and the package takes 4 working days to reach a UK address. They provide you with a tracking number to utilise their web tracking service.

Hope this maybe of use.

John

Excellent - thanks.

Also, Lambada, sounds sensible.
I think a plan is hatching.

JR - thanks for reminding me to get on with this.

I can stuff the return DHL package with tea....
Which is nice.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Given Matilda's warning about new stringency over photos, would it be helpful for those who have renewed here in DR recently to post where they had their photos done? i.e. which photographers here take passport pics acceptable to the Embassy?

It could help those renewing now to eliminate the photgraphic places which produce substandard photos.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
[QUOTE Every one]
One of the reasons the British Embassy is here is to support British nationals abroad
BE WARNED. Make sure the photos are perfect.
If you do need someone to validate passport pics are acceptable Which is the best company to use :bunny: the Embassy

The fact is is that the consulate is there to provide you with this service
ONE trip to Puerto Plata and see Mendez to validate passport pics
maybe he could ship something like a passport to the UK?
with the mail he has to send to UK.

What living address should you put on your new passport,
! Could it be sent to Mendez the British Consulate in Puerto Plata.
That all Expats

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Dominican Joe, I know you're trying to help but it is just possible that your post might confuse some people :cheeky:. If you take your passport to Mendez he will forward it to Embassy in Santo Domingo & they send it to Mexico. That's the route it takes, which is fine if you want to renew this way. Mendez would not be shipping a passport to UK via the diplomatic bag - I doubt he would be allowed to. Everything is done out of SD. So, either people go the Mendez/SD route or, if they want to do it via UK, they do so under their own steam using their own workarounds. Both are doable, so choices can be made.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Any Jobs in the Consulate

Dominican Joe, I know you're trying to help but it is just possible that your post might confuse some people :cheeky:.

If you do need someone to validate passport pics are acceptable Could you use Mendez in the Embassy

One of the reasons the British Embassy is here is to support British nationals abroad.

maybe he could ship something like a passport to the UK?
with the mail he has to send to UK.

If you take your passport to Mendez he will forward it to Embassy in Santo Domingo & they send it to Mexico. That's the route it takes, .

Lambada So does that mean it don't come to the UK to be renewed ? or is it validated in Mexico ?

In theory, you shouldn't have to send your passport all the way to the UK to renew it when your entitlement here as a UK citizen abroad means that the British Consulate should aid you with this important process. Effectively, when you walk through the consulate doors you are 'on UK soil', therefore in theory you are back in the UK.

I think you should only send off for a passport when you have tried to obtain one here. The fact is is that the consulate is there to provide you with this service and all the necessary information and if you have any problems with this then someone is not doing their job properly. Good luck with everything!

is the consulate there to provide you with A service
someone is not doing their job properly.
I WANT A JOB LIKE Mendez
ATT00011.gif

eaglenodding.gif
That all Lambada Time to take the
pj.gif
out
donaldduck.gif

loobyloo

Aug 3, 2008
jrhartley

If you are thinking of having your passport sent to a UK address and then forwarded on to you. There is one thing you should bare in mind. The passport office has begun to do random checks and you can now be called in for a face to face interview. I know of one person this has happened to.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
While we're waiting for loobyloo to respond, people might like to know that I was in the Puerto Plata Fedex office yesterday (65 mins for them to locate the Isle of Man :cheeky:) & the young lady in front of me was trying to Fedex a passport to Turcs & Caicos. They won't Fedex passports OUT of here but you can have them Fedexed IN to here, I learned. Just posting in case anyone on this thread needs to go workaround hunting ;).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I believe you cant send unsigned credit cards from the uk to here by courrier - is that another question ?