Rent deposit

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If the foreign renter does not have a guarantor, is this acceptable and if so does this mean more than the typical 1 rent plus 2 deposits up front?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I don't get it. Last year I rented a big house (still renting it)... I met with the owner, a Dominican who has several houses and buildings.

We agreed on the conditions, monthly rent and deposits. He wanted 3 months deposit. I told him NO, 2 months is enough. He accepted.
Then he had his lawyer prepare the rental contract and we signed it. He didn't ask me to pay anything for the lawyer. So I guess I found a "good" guy...

My point being, why enter into a contract or business relationship with someone when everything looks "fishy" ??? It's not like there is a shortage of rentals...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I don't get it. Last year I rented a big house (still renting it)... I met with the owner, a Dominican who has several houses and buildings.

We agreed on the conditions, monthly rent and deposits. He wanted 3 months deposit. I told him NO, 2 months is enough. He accepted.
Then he had his lawyer prepare the rental contract and we signed it. He didn't ask me to pay anything for the lawyer. So I guess I found a "good" guy...

My point being, why enter into a contract or business relationship with someone when everything looks "fishy" ??? It's not like there is a shortage of rentals...

No shortage of rentals but a HUGE shortage of reasonable landlords with common sense. In my experience wht they like to lawyer up with these contracts is so they can try to get you to pay to modernize the place once you leave. They will say you scratched the tiles, walls etc. and if there are appliances or furniture, HOLY **** lookout!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Is it common for a tenant to pay the home owner's lawyer 1 month of the 3 month rent deposit as a fee?

Depends on where you are living. If Santo Domingo or Santiago you can expect
to pay 3 months up front (one month goes to lawyer who's renting the apartment
and collecting rent)
If you are in an area like Sosua, you can probably get by with just first and last month.
If in the campo, you can just pay a month and tell them you will get the rest
of it to them later.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
As I rent out apartments professional (thats my business) I follow the common rules in Santiago:
Contract 1500 Peso
Deposit 2 month rent
Commission 1 month rent ( mostly the renter pay this direct to the agent he used.
I done it for 10 years and have about 60 rentals.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
"Now the lawyer wants $350US to review the contract. I only pay 5000 pesos per month so not worth getting the contract reviewed."

god damn. you really seems like a person that always looks for the troubles. I guess that even if someone would show you the easiest way from A to B you would chose way through C that would be 3 times more expensive, 3 times more time consuming and 5 times riskier.

I rented apartment in condominium, some other cheap apartment, some rooms, some long term motels... and nobody ever asked me for a) deposit b) contract
i just spoke with the owner, payed for the first month upfront, later payed for the next month (if I wanted)...and that's it.
and basically I never ever have problem with any Dominican landlords (except one time when I was living in the rented big room in Dominican big house. They were basically making too much noise, so I moved out before the date and the owner gave me my money back for the days that were left)