Replacement Key Fob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That is correct. Newer cars like the Murano from 2007 have an immobilizer key which "talks" to a receiver just behind the dash plastic near the kry. This receiver sends a signal code and waits for a combination code back from the key. The code is relayed to the car's computer and if the key doesn't have the correct combination code it will spin the starter but never dtart. They can not be programmed by a door switch and ke on/off sequence method. You either must have someone who can clone an existing immobilizer key for the car or the dealer can program one from the VIN number with your title.
But like everything in the DR someone probably has a way to get it done.
But if it's an immobilizer fob and slotted key you need plan on a minimum of $300 and up.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
I bought blanks for our Explorer and found a small ket/computer shop in Santiago that programmed the key. I think it cost RD$1000 each key.

Jan 9, 2004
The remote is easy. The real challenge is programming a new key with embedded chip.

And therein lies part of the problem. The OP has not indicated the year and make of the vehicle....or a photo (like Beeza provided) as to whether it is a separate fob or one with a newer integrated imbedded chip in the key...and thus it is hard to give advice on a solution.

But, I think the OP has sufficient responses as to where to look for an answer locally.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I bought blanks for our Explorer and found a small ket/computer shop in Santiago that programmed the key. I think it cost RD$1000 each key.
How did he program them? Did you have a working immobilizer fob?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How did he program them? Did you have a working immobilizer fob?

She would not show us. She took the keys and went to a back tech room.

Yes, we had a working key (not fob) she also took.

Jan 9, 2004
She would not show us. She took the keys and went to a back tech room.

Yes, we had a working key (not fob) she also took.

FYI.

Believe it or not you could have done it yourself using your Explorer.

If you have two working Ford chip keys, merely purchase a third Ford chip key from wherever you can find the best deal....and then.....I am not making this up.....put your first original key into the ignition and turn on.....but do not start......wait for some of the dash lights to go out. Turn off the ignition take that key out and do the same with your second working key. Then, in a moment of...you gotta be kidding me....insert the new not yet programmed chip key, turn on but do not start....wait for some of the lights to go out....turn off.....then turn back on and start your explorer with the new programmed chip key.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
FYI.

Believe it or not you could have done it yourself using your Explorer.

If you have two working Ford chip keys, merely purchase a third Ford chip key from wherever you can find the best deal....and then.....I am not making this up.....put your first original key into the ignition and turn on.....but do not start......wait for some of the dash lights to go out. Turn off the ignition take that key out and do the same with your second working key. Then, in a moment of...you gotta be kidding me....insert the new not yet programmed chip key, turn on but do not start....wait for some of the lights to go out....turn off.....then turn back on and start your explorer with the new programmed chip key.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Wow. No kidding!

I copied your post and catalogued it on my computer.

I forget whether I had one or two keys when we bought the car...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Each Manufacturer is different but trying to start a car with a mobilizer key not programmed to your car it will shut down the computer and you can reset it with some combinations of steps which can include some odd things and require a Shaman or a trip to a Dealer

Jan 9, 2004
Wow. No kidding!

I copied your post and catalogued it on my computer.

I forget whether I had one or two keys when we bought the car...

Most of the Ford Products that have an embedded chip key can be programmed like this, Explorers, Expedition, Trucks, etc.

For the readers, this does not work on all makes and models of cars/trucks. But it will work on CB's vehicle.

Respectfully,
Payacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Recently,after an oil change, the changer forgot to reset the computer for the next cycle.
Forgot to reset the warning.
 When I took it back , the mechanic said... It's easy, do this

He proceeded to go through a couple of man oeuvres and then tap the brakes twice or three times...

There, says he .... done

Not one bit easy ... for me .... tap the brakes a few times ????
After tricky adjustments????

Love my mechanic 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Recently,after an oil change, the changer forgot to reset the computer for the next cycle.
Forgot to reset the warning.
 When I took it back , the mechanic said... It's easy, do this

He proceeded to go through a couple of man oeuvres and then tap the brakes twice or three times...

There, says he .... done

Not one bit easy ... for me .... tap the brakes a few times ????
After tricky adjustments????

Love my mechanic 
It is easy to check or remove displayed codes from your newer cars with an OCB ll code reader. They can be purchased in the US for about $40 for a cheapy or $200 for a Snap-on brand.

Harder to find and pricier in the DR. Found one for 4000 pesos in Santiago.
They are as essential as a Phillips head screwdriver in today's toolboxes.
And if you are a tech nerd they have them that plug in and stay in place and interact with your smartphone screen.

Glad I grew up rebuilding engines and carburetors and learned some car skills before the current state of complicated cars.
But make no mistake cars are better than my 1st car the what now would be 60-year old 57 Chevy (pre seat belts and smog).
But rebuilding engines yourself now. Fugetaboutit