Residencia definitiva - renewal process

Feb 7, 2007
Was the general helping you?

Not at that part of process... I thought I would advance the things myself as I considered this request something easy to do and according to previous DR1 reports even quite fast (2-3 weeks)... basically wanted to have all the paperwork ready-to-file before going to the lawyer. I retained her for the rest of the process though. Now waiting through my 90 business days wait.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't hurt to have the embassies here aware of a residency process problem affecting their citizens. This specific hurdle is a DGM created problem, and those who have successfully renewed since the data loss should not be penalized and have to restart the process from the beginning. If anything, it should be easier, quicker and at very little cost.

Not sure how many people are affected by this and until there is a critical mass of inquiries coming from several countries, don't think much will change, but it's always helpful to have this type of concern raised at the end of meetings with the Presidente or when aid to the DR is being discussed.

I still think press coverage of this injustice can bring about swift changes and I know a summons to court to answer for what is essentially disregarding the residency laws will cause a panic at DGM. The last thing DGM wants is anyone looking in detail at how things worked there over the past 15 years or so.

Oh well, hope Windy gets it sorted by whatever means is acceptable to him. I hope that as time goes on, others so affected might have an easier time getting squared away. I understand the reluctance to make waves, either at a checkpoint, traffic stop or while embroiled in a govt process, but until "we" do, it remains easy to get away with malfeasance and there is no reason to change their behavior.

After speaking with several lawyers, all of them told me I have no choice but to do what I am told. With all of my documents submitted this week for my "Permanent Residency Regularization" , I may have a new one year temporary residency in May of 2019. No card until then. In 2020, I could apply for a 10 year Residency Definitiva card. That is with my having residency from 2003 when the process was then one temporary residency and subsequent 4 year permanent residency renewals which were found to be lacking this year. Lacking because of incompetence and corruption at DGM for me and quite a few others.

Is this satisfactory to me? No it is not satisfactory to me. It is what I have to do if I want to continue to be legal here.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I think this is good news for anyone starting out in the process of applying for Residencia Definativa. I can understand it, but maybe one of the native Spanish speakers would be kind enough to translate it for the non-Spanish speakers. Basically, you no longer need to get the agreement to apply for the definativa before you submit your application online, you do both at the same time, if I understand correctly. From the government website:

CAMBIO DE CATEGORÍA MIGRATORIA
La DGM en aras de agilizar procesos, informa que a partir del 13 de noviembre, los usuarios con estatus migratorio de Residencia Temporal y Resistencia Permanente que tengan la intención de cambiar su condición migratoria a Residencia Permanente y Definitiva, respectivamente, podrán depositar su carta de solicitud de cambio conjuntamente con el expediente, es decir, al momento de escanear los documentos en el Portal Web, sin necesidad de formalizar el requerimiento previo.

AVISO SOBRE ACOMPAÑANTES
La DGM en procura de garantizar un mejor servicio a sus usuarios, informa que a partir del 13 de noviembre, restringirá el acceso de acompañantes a la institución. Se permitirá el acompañamiento de personas en riesgo de salud, envejecientes y el acompañamiento por parte de abogados cuando estén debidamente apoderados. Se recuerda a los usuarios y visitantes de la DGM, que deben acudir a la institución con vestimenta apropiada (no pantalones cortos, calipsos, gorras, lentes oscuros....).

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I promised to update on my change of migratory category from Permanent to Definitive. I was given an appointment for the day my residency and cedula expired on 5th December and got the express Caribe Tours from Sosua to SD at 5.20 a.m. I arrived at around 9.45 a.m. and was met by my contact who had managed to get a ticket organized in the queue for the photos when migration opened. We took a public bus to migration and I waited about two hours to get the residency card. It may have been almost twice as long without getting my ticket earlier. The place was packed, as always. It is very difficult to hear your name called and the lawyers and assistants, for the most part, are no longer allowed to enter the hall with you, so you have to be on the ball. Although there are screens that are supposed to show who is being called by ticket number, it seemed that only about one in ten was actually posted.

We then went on to Junta Central for the cedula and that was almost as chaotic as migration and took only a little less time. We held a taxi while we were there and I then got the Metro back to Sosua, which took about 5 hours, with a lot of road works between Santiago and Imbert. The only benefit was that it was a little less freezing than Caribe Tours and you don't have to run the gauntlet of moto conchos when you get off the coach in El Batey, as you do in Los Charamicos with Caribe Tours. I was finally home by publico about 15 hours after I set out, tired but greatly relieved not to have to go through this again for another 10 years.....unless they move the goal posts again.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy
Good for you for getting things back on track..

You'll get the 10 yr soon enough.
And consider citizenship... might be easier (less hassle) for you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy
Good for you for getting things back on track..

You'll get the 10 yr soon enough.
And consider citizenship... might be easier (less hassle) for you

While my paperwork has been accepted as sufficient to get residency back by Migracion in Santo Domingo, I will only know after the 6 month period (which will be the beginning of May in 2019) if there are any further issues. In May I should get a one year "temporary residency". After one year, I can renew that for either a 4 year permanent residency or a 10 year residency definitiva based upon all I have been told in Santo Domingo.

If I wanted to become a citizen, which in retrospect I should have done years ago during the 14 years where I had permanent residency, I will have to wait at least a year and a half to do so. One can only apply for citizenship with permanent residency and these idiots are forcing a one year temporary residency back on me if all goes in the best possible way for me and my own form of "regularization".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Linda Stapleton, you were fortunate that you were not forced into what I have to do. If don't expect you would have any problems from this point on.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If I wanted to become a citizen, which in retrospect I should have done years ago during the 14 years where I had permanent residency, I will have to wait at least a year and a half to do so. One can only apply for citizenship with permanent residency and these idiots are forcing a one year temporary residency back on me if all goes in the best possible way for me and my own form of "regularization".

Not true. You can apply with temporary residency. "Certificación para fines de Naturalización emitida por la Dirección General de Migración donde conste el estatus del solicitante y que tiene más de 2 años con residencia temporal

http://www.mip.gob.do/images/naturalizacion/Requisitos/requisitos matrimonio.pdf

Matilda