Residency/Citizenship & Canadian Police Report

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Interesting thing to note, when you get your Dominican birth certificate and Cedula your last names will be the same as all Latinos. Mothers last name first then fathers I became Saunders McGinnis instead of just Saunders.

Bob, father's last name comes first, then mother's.:)

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bob, father's last name comes first, then mother's.:)

How does it work for a married female?

I don't like the USA system. Lately a lot more married women are going the hyphenated route and keeping their maiden last name hyphenated with the husband's last name. me likes that..........

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
How does it work for a married female?

I don't like the USA system. Lately a lot more married women are going the hyphenated route and keeping their maiden last name hyphenated with the husband's last name. me likes that..........

First comes the father's last name then the mother's last name and then DE (meaning of) and husband's last name.

Example: Maria Fernandez Lopez de Rivera. The DE lets you know she is married.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
First comes the father's last name then the mother's last name and then DE (meaning of) and husband's last name.

Example: Maria Fernandez Lopez de Rivera. The DE let's you know she is married.

thanks bronzie, before I always wondered why Latinos had all these names. Once I understood the meaning it made a whole lot of sense to me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting thing to note, when you get your Dominican birth certificate and Cedula your last names will be the same as all Latinos. Mothers last name first then fathers I became Saunders McGinnis instead of just Saunders.

I am William Baxter Webster ( Baxter is my mother's maiden name)
That's the English way of naming the first child....
father's Mother's maiden name goes to #2

They call me William Baxter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ignore the above post. All documentation necessary re citizenship appears to have disappeared. Probably coming up with some cunning new plan.

Matilda

And exactly when I was going to start the procedure. The game is afoot while the clowns have temporarily left the circus.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It hasn't stopped me Windy....

I'm still on deck.
The Embassy may something to say when I go in the couple of weeks.

Feb 7, 2007
My friend is doing the citizenship thing and he thinks the lawyer may be aksing for government fees that are more than government fees. Can someone provide me a summary of the fees and mounts involved (true fees only that DIYer would pay, excluding any lawyer's fees).

Feb 7, 2007

Example: Maria Fernandez Lopez de Rivera. The DE lets you know she is married.

Not always. Mrs. De la Cruz is not married to Mr. La Cruz and Mr. De la Cruz is not gay.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My friend is doing the citizenship thing and he thinks the lawyer may be aksing for government fees that are more than government fees. Can someone provide me a summary of the fees and mounts involved (true fees only that DIYer would pay, excluding any lawyer's fees).

As per website before it disappeared, RD$1,500 when you file papers then RD$5,000 when you swear in. They could have gone up though, but peanuts compared to residency. Obviously docs need to be apostilled or translated but that is usually done in home country.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Definitely home country... and yes, cheaper

Another reason for my applying...
if it can be cheaper and easier.... I'm in !!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

1500 DOP when you apply ( and test), 5000 when they pass on your paperwork and give you a date for the swearing in. 1500 for transcription of your birth certificate in to the birth certificate format. Another 1000 for your Cedula. Obviously there are going to other expenses like the legalization of documents and the tax for the government...etc. I paid Matilda's friend 4000 to translate, take to the two government ministries and get everything stamped and taxes paid plus returning the documents to me to take to the Ministry.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
1500 DOP when you apply ( and test), 5000 when they pass on your paperwork and give you a date for the swearing in. 1500 for transcription of your birth certificate in to the birth certificate format. Another 1000 for your Cedula. Obviously there are going to other expenses like the legalization of documents and the tax for the government...etc. I paid Matilda's friend 4000 to translate, take to the two government ministries and get everything stamped and taxes paid plus returning the documents to me to take to the Ministry.

I have flown out and back using my Dominican Cedula and my Canadian passport. No issues.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Not always. Mrs. De la Cruz is not married to Mr. La Cruz and Mr. De la Cruz is not gay.

I also know a few people with the last name de la cruz.

The entire last name is "de la cruz." But it's different when just using DE. It is added on when the woman is married.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly the way I travel and the way all non-citizen residents do...

The passport of your country and the residency or cedula card.

I'll still do that I expect.

What appeals to me about citizenship is no residency renewal... 
and cedula renewal is done locally.
Much less government interface 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just returned form the Toronto Consulate...

$100USD each certification.... done as you stand there...
no time at all.

no line, very easy.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just returned form the Toronto Consulate...

$100USD each certification.... done as you stand there...
no time at all.

no line, very easy.

Certifying what? Apostille, translation, canadian legalization??? Useful to know for people going through the process.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Apostille...
She suggested a translation in SD

She also agreed that a Cdn police report won't be necessary.... since I am a resident since 2008.

However, Buster Gringo suggested it and given the changing nature of Immigration....
I decided to double down on security....
$70CAD for the fingerprints and $100USD for the Consulate

THey stamped the back of my birth certif and the RCMP report....