Restaurants : price for resident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky it was at the Britannia Pub, and we eat and drink there alot. But like I said we would get our tab and look at the total and just pay with a big tip. The 3 of us would always get a bagel with our meal, not knowing we were being charge 390 pesos for 3 bagels. So I learn the hard way, even if you know the owners still look at your check on what your paying for. Still killing me that he was doing that to us.
As a Sosua restaurant owner, I think it would be out of line to express any opinion, other than it does seem a bit steep a price for a bagel, but I really don't know what a bagel should cost.
It could be that they are very hard to get, or maybe they are imported.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
bagel bonanza!!!!!!!!

You're right. Most tourists wouldn't have a clue about it, and why would they?

Anytime.

Where? At La Roca?
I doubt that they would charge that much for a bagel. Are you sure?
there is a "special"being run at la rocca the last few weeks.cafe con leche(milk coffee)and a hot bagele with chocolate sauce poured over it,or one of the same with a sugary white powder(forget what its called).for the princly sum of 55rd NO TAX NO IT/B.S............T.
now thats a deal and a half.but keep it under yer hat,dont want john down there jacking the price up due to its popularity;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that reminds me, we went to hemingways in playa dorada the other night, i looked up drinks menu, saw 200 pesos for a fancy cocktail i liked and 140 for ron plus soft drink.
minovio was the one ordering drinks and when it came to paying i saw on a bill my fancy drink for 140 pesos and ron plus for 80 pesos, all the bill came to 500 pesos.
so did we pay "local" price?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
there is a "special"being run at la rocca the last few weeks.cafe con leche(milk coffee)and a hot bagele with chocolate sauce poured over it,or one of the same with a sugary white powder(forget what its called).for the princly sum of 55rd NO TAX NO IT/B.S............T.
now thats a deal and a half.but keep it under yer hat,dont want john down there jacking the price up due to its popularity;)

I believe we call that a donut!

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
well for some.........

I'm familiar with this Bar.

In their defence, I'm not sure the practice of charging RD$ 500 Pesos for a discount card is wrong, this card is available to anyone, Tourist or Expat.

In fact I think its good business for a Bar to encourage the Expat community to to return when the low season kicks in and be awarded with a discount as well.
its still a two tier policy.what if you just want to drop in say once or twice for a couple of beers while on vacation?is it a club they are running or a straight forward bar/rest.
:confused: who's the real winner in the end?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
its still a two tier policy.what if you just want to drop in say once or twice for a couple of beers while on vacation?
There are some places with tiered pricing but this is totally different.

If everybody without a card pays the same price and everybody with a card pays the same, it is not two-tiered pricing.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
its still a two tier policy.what if you just want to drop in say once or twice for a couple of beers while on vacation?is it a club they are running or a straight forward bar/rest.
:confused: who's the real winner in the end?

Actually I think its more like a three tier policy, just to complicate things yesterday I was in town and stopped by for a drink it was 5:10 PM.
Guess what? yep happy hour, in this case a beer RD 80 Pesos now 50 Pesos.

I understand they apply a policy in Santiago, "Price Mart".
Buy membership card and shop for discounts inside store.
No card no entry.

Back to the Bar/Restaurant

So we have regular menu price.

Special discount price for card carrying members.

Happy hour price at a specific time.

I don't see anything under handed here?

We have a word for this back home "Capitalism"

Last edited:

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
all greek to me.

Actually I think its more like a three tier policy, just to complicate things yesterday I was in town and stopped by for a drink it was 5:10 PM.
Guess what? yep happy hour, in this case a beer RD 80 Pesos now 50 Pesos.

I understand they apply a policy in Santiago, "Price Mart".
Buy membership card and shop for discounts inside store.
No card no entry.

Back to the Bar/Restaurant

So we have regular menu price.

Special discount price for card carrying members.

Happy hour price at a specific time.

I don't see anything under handed here?

We have a word for this back home "Capitalism"
all this beutifull capitalism and quick buck thinking is all very well for some.
why doesent someone come up wih a novel idea like,charging equal and competitive rates to all comers?
call me old fasioned,but it would eliminate the bad taste left in some peoples mouth when they find the guy-girl next to them is paying less for the same product.
it would stop all this fanning around with memberships and resident versus tourist perks.all of us that live here as residents were tourists once too.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
why doesent someone come up wih a novel idea like,charging equal and competitive rates to all comers?
I think you're being led to believe that it's a widespread practice, and it might be in POP, of that, I'm not sure, but it certainly isn't in Sosua.
Like I said, as best as I know, La Roca is the only restaurant with a two priced menu, and as you can see, there are those who like the idea, and those who don't.
Both points of view, have some valid arguments.

Premier

Aug 8, 2003
La Roca is the only restaurant with a two priced menu

Yes, high and higher.

Sorry, but I?m not a huge fan of the place, or the one across the street.

Btw, doesn?t Baileys? offer a discount for residents or regulars? I seem to remember getting one when I was in there almost every day about a year ago?.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Baileys have discounted...

In the past when I've eaten at Baileys a few times, occasionally, (depending on the waiter it seems) the tax/tip amount of 26% has been added on and then deducted. But, as you say, that was when we first arrived and ate there on a fairly regular basis. Now that we only go there occasionally we don't generally get a discount even though they recognise us as being residents, so it seems like more of a `loyalty' discount than a residents discount. Or as with everything else here, it's a `depends how they're feeling on the day' discount!

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Sams Bar too....

Oh yes, forgot to mention, the waitress in Sam's Bar in POP gave us discount cards the other day because she recognised us, even though it was only the second time we'd eaten there in 6 months!. The menu is actually divided up into two price columns, one column is discounted for people holding the card.

Is this the place people where talking about earlier in the thread?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Oh yes, forgot to mention, the waitress in Sam's Bar in POP gave us discount cards the other day because she recognised us, even though it was only the second time we'd eaten there in 6 months!. The menu is actually divided up into two price columns, one column is discounted for people holding the card.

Is this the place people where talking about earlier in the thread?
Yes.
The problem is that some folks don't like the policy, while others love it.
You can't satisfy everyone.
IMHO, it would depend on the value offered.
If a restaurant sells a good product at a good price, and further discounts it for regular clients, then it seems reasonable to me, but if the food & beverages are already expensive, and they further boost the price for non-regulars, then it sux.

Status
Not open for further replies.