Review of Plaza Ton Ton, La Caleta in Boca Chica

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I've been wanting to check this place out for a year, and we finally got there today. It's a very large, but not Olympic size outdoor pool with food, bar, and billiards. The owner is Swiss and speaks French, Spanish, some English, and German. He built the place up from scratch 2 years ago. It's about 4 km from the airport and costs 100 pesos to enter.

We didn't sample the food because there was none. But the pool was as pristine as you could ask for. Very very pleased with it. It's an L shaped pool which allows for swimming long laps. Regarding the lack of food, the owner took us across the street to a Haitian restaurant where we had lunch for $600 pesos total for both of us.

I was really surprised that there were not more people there. There was a total of 4 people there the entire afternoon. However, given that I wanted to do laps, this worked out well. The owner told us that it only gets busy on weekends, but that tonight they had a private party.

On Instagram, it's plazatonton. By the way, tonton means uncle in Haitian Kreyol, but he told us that was the name of his dog that ran out on the autopista. The dog is buried under their giant mango tree. The tree has about 200 mangoes right now

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I've been wanting to check this place out for a year, and we finally got there today. It's a very large, but not Olympic size outdoor pool with food, bar, and billiards. The owner is Swiss and speaks French, Spanish, some English, and German. He built the place up from scratch 2 years ago. It's about 4 km from the airport and costs 100 pesos to enter.

We didn't sample the food because there was none. But the pool was as pristine as you could ask for. Very very pleased with it. It's an L shaped pool which allows for swimming long laps. Regarding the lack of food, the owner took us across the street to a Haitian restaurant where we had lunch for $600 pesos total for both of us.

I was really surprised that there were not more people there. There was a total of 4 people there the entire afternoon. However, given that I wanted to do laps, this worked out well. The owner told us that it only gets busy on weekends, but that tonight they had a private party.

On Instagram, it's plazatonton. By the way, tonton means uncle in Haitian Kreyol, but he told us that was the name of his dog that ran out on the autopista. The dog is buried under their giant mango tree. The tree has about 200 mangoes right now
“Tonton” is french, children use it when addressing their uncle. Must be a nice place, I miss that from time to time a large quiet pool.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Brief update: We went again today but found out they are not open until 2pm on weekdays. However they opened for us at 130. The Haitian restaurant was closed so they fixed us pork chops, rice, and some fried something. All was good. Gave him 700 pesos.

Much more crowded today, especially after 4PM. Found out there is a small beach in La Caleta that is inundated with sargassum so the locals then come to our friend's pool. He makes money and is happy.

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I just read the name and think it sounds dodgy. Plaza ton ton. I can't see how he will make money if he is only charging RD$ 100 a pop. He needs to be selling food and drinks.

Reactions: NanSanPedro