Roofing Opinions Please

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
About 12 years ago, we built a raised covered (but open) terrazzo off the back of our house. It’s about 35’x20’. Because of the size, Mr AE didn’t want a cement roof, so a welder built a steel frame and we had a Spanish tile look metal roof put on. We’re near the ocean, and one area has rusted through on the side facing the Caribbean.

So….our choice is to replace it with the same thing, or the alternative of plywood sheeting covered with traditional shingles.

We’re waiting for estimates for both, opinions? I’m thinking the shingles might make it cooler under there??

Is plywood treated in DR? Lots of termites where we live and it would be exposed underneath. Does painting it help?

Last edited:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
About 12 years ago, we built a raised covered (but open) terrazzo off the back of our house. It’s about 35’x20’. Because of the size, Mr AE didn’t want a cement roof, so a welder built a steel frame and we had a Spanish tile look metal roof put on. We’re near the ocean, and one area has rusted through on the side facing the Caribbean.

So….our choice is to replace it with the same thing, or the alternative of plywood sheeting covered with traditional shingles.

We’re waiting for estimates for both, opinions? I’m thinking the shingles might make it cooler under there??

Is plywood treated in DR? Lots of termites where we live and it would be exposed underneath. Does painting it help?
Would it be easier and cooler to replace it with the plastic “terra cotta” tiles?

Reactions: bob saunders

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
mak

Make a wood structure and a plastic roof and it will last for ever ! And if you don't like the noise when the rain falls on the plastic roof, make the roof also of wood and put an asphalt coat on it. And if you really want to overdo it: use stainless steel screws from "Jaraba Import"

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Would it be easier and cooler to replace it with the plastic “terra cotta” tiles?
I'm with you. Treated wood, maybe even apply an additional treatment just because, then the plastic terra cotta tiles that are very light.

I wouldn't want to put real shingles on it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Plastic? I’ve never seen those. Maybe you mean what we already have? See photo

I'm with you. Treated wood, maybe even apply an additional treatment just because, then the plastic terra cotta tiles that are very light.

I wouldn't want to put real shingles on it.

Why wouldn’t you want real shingles?

We’ve gotten prices from one guy, both with the plywood base then either the alu-zinc or shingles. Only 20,000 peso difference. Waiting for second guy.
IMG_0372.jpeg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Real shingles would be a lot of weight.

The alu-zinc on playwood would be hot, unless the were mounted on some sort of strips to keep them elevated from the plywood and allow for circulation between.

I use the plastic corrugated on my garage roof and it worked pretty well. IIRC they come in 20' sheets.

roof.jpg

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Can you mount solar panels on the roof? If it faces the right way, that would be worthwhile investigating

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Real shingles would be a lot of weight.

The alu-zinc on playwood would be hot, unless the were mounted on some sort of strips to keep them elevated from the plywood and allow for circulation between.

I use the plastic corrugated on my garage roof and it worked pretty well. IIRC they come in 20' sheets.

View attachment 9022

20’ lengths would be perfect. The big downside would be that there are massive mango trees on our neighbors side that overhang and drop big heavy mangoes all the time. They sound like gunshots when they hit the roof, I’m sure they’d crack plastic quickly. We cut back the lower limbs but we’re talking about a tree that’s probably 50’ or taller.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can you mount solar panels on the roof? If it faces the right way, that would be worthwhile investigating

We actually bought panels and controllers and shipped them down ages ago. I mentioned above about the giant mango tree. Well the kids next door throw rocks up into the tree to knock down the mangoes they can’t reach. Half those rocks end up crashing on that back roof. Mr AE envisioned a lot of cracked solar panels so we ended up never installing them and sold them locally.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You should have cut the tree down, i imagine you have more.

We can’t. It’s not ours, it belongs to the neighbors, and is smack dab against our wall. It’s massive, our maestro actually had to build our wall around the trunk in one area. We did have a couple of the same age and size, they’re long gone, replaced by better mango and avocado trees.

libre.loqui

Apr 20, 2024
Panama City

consider the "point loading" , the weight of the roofing system upon the structural strength. Also, resistance to wind uplifting of the roofing system.

Reactions: AlterEgo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, his latest suggestion is to put down pressure treated plywood, then a torched down rubber roof.
Thoughts as to sustainability, upkeep (if any)??
We’ve kind of dismissed shingles, it’s windy there and they’d probably get loose soon.

Nov 9, 2023
SC
A somewhat flexible top layer would be good with these falling mango’s. Is it real rubber or bitumen? There is also EPDM which is very durable but that is glued on. Downside is these materials are usually black (heat) and less esthetic than shingles. Upside is it is easier to patch up if needed in the future.

I do see a lot of bitumen flat shingle look covering on slightly sloped roofs in the DR. Those have a red or green gravel surface on top and look ok. You put them on in strokes with the upper next layer slightly overlapping the one below. Those could tick all your boxes.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
A somewhat flexible top layer would be good with these falling mango’s. Is it real rubber or bitumen? There is also EPDM which is very durable but that is glued on. Downside is these materials are usually black (heat) and less esthetic than shingles. Upside is it is easier to patch up if needed in the future.

I do see a lot of bitumen flat shingle look covering on slightly sloped roofs in the DR. Those have a red or green gravel surface on top and look ok. You put them on in strokes with the upper next layer slightly overlapping the one below. Those could tick all your boxes.
There is a local school that put that on their roof. In five years it blew off.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Between the price of the rubber and plywood you are going to have at least four or $5000 into materials. You may as well just do concrete and then you will be done.

libre.loqui

Apr 20, 2024
Panama City
Kids, with rocks thrown to improve accuracy at hitting a mango is a factor in determining the roof finish. A fallen rock could damage a Kynar finished panel. Torch down roll roofing is a modified bitumen. The pitch of the roof is a crucial factor limiting what system is applicable. About the tree, imagine your property line extends vertical into space. What if the magnificent mango tree, that over hangs your line, could be properly pruned at the line. Perhaps there is one who would lean a tool, like a picking stick, on the tree? Rather than practicing the skill of pitching rocks the kids could practice catching mango's falling from the tree?