Rottweiler in La Mulata

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
What a great idea Givadogahome. Kudos to you Isobel for all your kind and loving care to these animals that are in need. If some of you can afford to give at least something, then it will take the financial burden off of Isobel who already is doing all she can for suffering animals. Would love to see a blog for Buck`s progress. I suppose if we all can delete a few beers for the month, eat a couple of extra rice and beans meals, then we can help support Isobel. I, for one would be willing to donate what I can to her wonderful cause. Yes, I think Givadogahome is on to something with the paypal thing.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
There is already a paypal account for Project Isobel. You can either press the donate button on our website or go to www.paypal.co.uk and send your donation isobel560793@gmail.com and put Buck as the reference. Unfortunately, no payments can be made in Dominican pesos. If you want to do that, send me a PM and we can do it that way. All the money will go to the boy and I will publish it when he eventually dies, so you needn't worry about putting money into his care after he has gone. I'm not sure how to do a blog for him, but I will look into that.Thanks for your suggestions.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
We are working on a blog for Buck. More to follow. His first message posted here seems to have disappeared! His coming home may be delayed a bit because the builder got held up, but it is imminent. He actually ran to greet his nurse, Jaque, yesterday, still like a drunken soldier, but with great animation, when he saw him arriving with food. That man is SO kind. Buck is back to eating monster amounts of food and he is very partial to biscuit mixed with cat food! I've just bought him some mammouth sized dishes which will hold much more than I ever eat! It's a dog's life.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I am so happy that Buck is doing well and that you are so kind.

I would like to point out however that cat food is generally much higher in calories than dog food and if Buck has limited abilites for exercises due to the nuerological injuries that he has suffered letting him have too much cat food might lead to obesity which can cause a lot of problems not only with heart and liver and kidney function but also if there is any hint of a hip problem which is unfortunately all to common with Rotties.

You have my sincere admiration for all the work you do to help animals in need.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
You can make him satin balls, they are real protein and calorie bombs. Whenever one of my dogs does not seem to digest his/her kibbles good enough or after being ill, I always make a batch of Satin Balls. The weight flies on the dog and skin and coat also benefits from it.

Recipe :
10 pounds of grounded beef
1 large pack of cereals non sugared to smash in little pieces
1 large pack of oat meal which you boil to very soft in water
10 raw eggs (some put in the shell but I don't do it)
1 1/4 of vegetable oil
1 1/4 of non-sulfate melasse
Some add gelatine and let the beef stand overnight to become thicker so that they can easier make the balls. But in my experiences I do not need the gelatine as the batch goes in portions in ziplock bags directly in freezer. They don't have the shape of a golfball then but for the rest its the same.
a bit of salt

Mix all together and make portions and freeze. For a big dog I would suggest a portion of 1 lb/day above its normal food. Thaw a portion and give first kibbles and after that the Satin Balls. I suggest you to do it so because other wise the dog eats the Satin Balls and will sniff at his kibbles...where is the rest of the yummie stuff? ;)

Good luck and good to hear that Buck is doing alright.

Acira

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks for your suggestions. No, I don't usually give dogs cat food, but I guess Dr Bob is doing so to help build him up after his trauma and blood loss. I don't let animals get fat. Rottis in particular are prone to obesity, it seems.
There has been another glitch with Buck's homecoming. I didn't get to see him yesterday because I was running here, there and everywhere. That was the first day I haven't been in to see him. I noticed that the only other time I didn't get to see him when I had promised to call in a second time, he had a bad day the next day. Maybe I am totally crazy in thinking he understands, but today he is not so good and Dr Bob surprised me by telling me he is going to operate this afternoon as he has a pocket of fluid which need draining and resolving below the ear. Of course, it may be that he is feeling glum because he wasn't allowed any food pre-op! Please send him lots of love and positive thoughts for his recovery.
By the way, we just uploaded Project Isobel's website rather hurriedly to a new provider yesterday so I don't have to pay for another year with the previous one. There may be a few glitches, as we are still working on it, but the donate button should now be directing you to paypal now rather than to a dive site as it was doing initially! Please let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Buck survived his surgery though there were serious complications because of his age and he only just made it after reacting badly even to geriatric anaesthesia. The bullet had gone much deeper into his neck than previously imagined so it was not possible to investigate the situation fully. He is sporting a big bandage as evidence of his long sufferance. His projected date of release is now Monday at the earliest. He is so stoic about it all. Please send him lots of love. Thanks to all of you who still take an interest in his progress.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
This poor dog just cannot catch a break. I will see you in June, Isobel... and will bring what we discussed as much as possible at that time. Please tell Buck to keep fighting!

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I hope this photo has uploaded. My computer skills are limited!

Buck would no longer win a beauty contest, but he has been so brave.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I hope this photo has uploaded. My computer skills are limited!

Buck would no longer win a beauty contest, but he has been so brave.

2e5pf2w.jpg

Buck afer surgery

Buck following surgery

Buck with his drain inserted

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
buck is a very beautiful dog. we have two rotties and my heart really breaks to see suffering of an animal. i hope he regains his strength and things work well for him!

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I am very touched that my technical limitations have been resolved so rapidly by one of Buck's supporters! Thank you!

We went for about a 25 metre walk today, off lead. His balance has gone [hardly surprising since he was shot in the ear!] and he has neurological issues from the shooting, so he falls over and walks like a stroke patient, but after a short rest he just picks himself up and carries on. This dog has such spirit and willingness. He is so trusting and obedient. What a teacher! Dr Bob says he will teach me how to deal with his drain so he can come home... now that is something I am very squeamish about, but I will learn... He will never lack love and caring while I am around. I am much better about just giving attention, time and love... but I believe that is essential in helping the recipient to keep on going. Animals always let me know when it is their time and I respect that, but while they want to live, I will support that too, if I can. I have to commend Dr Bob and his assistant, Jaque, for their love, kindness and professional skills in all this.
Buck's blog is now up on the Project Isobel website, though I haven't yet worked out how he can add more comments or how you can communicate with him, but we will get there...

Bless you all for your love and support for him.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Buck is now out of hospital and his walking is improving on a daily basis. He just launched himself when he saw me open the vehicle door. He most definitely knew where he wanted to be! He still wasn't quite up to getting in without help, but there is no lack of determination in this dog. He may no longer have the turn of foot of a guard dog, but what he lacks in physical agility, he makes up for with his size and his almighty bark! He is definitely a miracle to have survived being shot point blank. He has fitted in well so far, but we are still working on doggy relationships. He's not the problem. He just ignores the mouthy ones and lets the fluffy young miss steal his food if she gets the chance. I even caught the very fierce doberman/GSD cross giving him a little kiss! There is another episode of his blog about to be posted on the website.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
2efnmkn.jpg

Buck, Winston and Suzie getting acquainted

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IhLw-vuGODE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buck playing basket ball, day 4

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
buck looks great. i know ears take ages to get better, our rottie mama bit off part of an ear of her daughter, two weeks ago. it's healing very slowly.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
rottweiler in la Mulata

He's a real source of inspiration. He was out playing ball with the lads again this evening and he's managing walks of about 200 yards now before he starts falling over. Dr Bob reckons his ear will take another couple of weeks, but it's hard to know how much of the neurological damage will recover long term. It certainly won't be for lack of spirit on his part. He may no longer win a beauty contest, but he is a wonderful dog, super with children, so affectionate, loyal and good-natured, benign with other dogs... Even the guard dogs are friends with him. As a 'ladron', just his bark would send me to the other end of the island, so what he lacks in agility is compensated for by size and attitude!
Sorry to hear that mama rotti bit off part of her daughter's ear! I guess she was being insubordinate. We are having similar problems with mama rabbit!

Last edited:

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I am very sad to report that at 6.25 this evening Buck had some kind of seizure and died. It was all over in less than five minutes. He went for a short walk with me and the other dogs this morning and wanted to go further than I would let him. This afternoon a neighbour's kid had bought him his own ball and they played together. He then decided that, since I belonged totally to him, Sylvester[the cat who also thinks I belong totally to him,] was going to be put firmly in his place. He came forward enthusiastically for his supper, took two mouthfuls and that was it! At least he died with food in his mouth! What more could a dog want? He won everyone's heart and will be sadly missed even after so short a time with us. He would have been here with us exactly a week tomorrow. At least his last days were full of love and joy. RIP, Buck. Thanks and blessings to all those of you who loved and supported him and pledged to sponsor him for the remainder of his life, which proved to be so short.

EllaTO

Mar 16, 2012
I am absolutely devastated, Isobel. I was so looking forward to meeting Buck and you next week. Just devastated. I will bring along some things and the sponsorship money next week anyway. Thank you so much for taking care of Buck and making his last few days happy and joyous ones.

Ella