Rules For Sosua Beaches

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
if these 'new' rules last a week we will all be suprised. Nothing changes here and thats fine by me.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I am sure it was 100% expected for those polishing of 1.75L of vodka to drive home!
As long as no glass bottles were holding the poison, all was OK.

A$$HOLES, how about save 5-10 lives with a breathalyzer this week instead of worrying about a cut tootsie?

Polishing ? Is that like speaking Polish ? DV8 please help here

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
The term polished when refered to drinking means drank the whole bottle. I believe it an American saying.

drescape24

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
this picture is taken during the day. i have seen tents of the beaches before. people bring them to escape the sun, to have a place to f**k, a place to pass out from drinking or to put kids to sleep.

You have not seen tents at Sosua Beach at any time other than Samana Santa. They are permitted then.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You have not seen tents at Sosua Beach at any time other than Samana Santa. They are permitted then.

i think it must be because people really come to stay all day and with entire family? are the tents still there at night?

that reminds me of the good times when i slept on the beach myself. good times. i was a teenager, had no money but wanted to travel around poland. slept in all sort of weird places.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i think it must be because people really come to stay all day and with entire family? are the tents still there at night?

that reminds me of the good times when i slept on the beach myself. good times. i was a teenager, had no money but wanted to travel around poland. slept in all sort of weird places.

Yes, but only during Semana Santa.

There are huge crowds at the beaches during Semana Santa, especially Friday and Saturday. Santiago, Santo Domingo, La Vega, etc., residents flock to the beaches. Those who can't find or afford a place to stay, camp on the beach. When I lived in Samana, people were camping on Cayo Levantado--but only then.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i came up from santo domingo yesterday, survived the crazy roads to get to sosua......was good to see the red cross on nearly every intersection........scary though at the same time, the guys were out everywhere slowing the traffic down..........do not want to be run over any time not just semana santa, last year was bad enough for me.
one of my favorite pastimes here is free diving to bring up all the broken/discarded bottles in sosua bay.....mind you this time of year the sea is full of "other' things also......might leave it a day or two.......

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Prohibido: todo tipo de armas . . .

Ok. So I leave the Sig Sauer in the apartment, but can I carry my favourite pocket knife?
The blade's only four inches. Would that be OK? Oh Hell. By the time I get back next Feb
someone will have stolen the sign and sold it for scrap anyway.

wbr

Aug 6, 2006
to POLISH OFF in American English means to finish off, to eat or drink the whole thing. The confusing part was that the original poster said to polish of.

The word polish has two pronunciations, pronounced POE- lish and PAH-lish. the former is a noun or adjective that refers to the nationality of people from Warsaw, Cracow and Lodz and sausages; the latter is a verb or a noun that means to buff or shine or a preparation used for buffing or shining.

A sentence is possible that uses both the meanings: Stanislav polished off the Kolbase, a type of Polish sausage.

The Polish sausage is sufficiently shiny: you need not polish it. English requires that nouns and adjectives that refer to nationality have their first letters capitalized.

Spanish has no such requirement, but the words for Polish and polish are different.

A Mexican might say. Stanislav SE ZAMP? le salchicha polaca. I am unsure that Dominican Spanish would use the verb zamparse in this fashion. My dictionary does not have an entry for this verb.

Stanislav se comi? le salchicha polaca. This would be understood by all Spanish speakers, but is less fun to say.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Went to Sosua beach today. They didn't check every single bag but there were checking a lot of bags. We had rum and just put it in a plastic bottle. They did not say anything about the stereo we brought. I saw the usual beach dogs there and another group with their pet dog.

The waiter was pouring the bottle beer then taking the bottle back. I brought my own plastic cup that was large enough to hold the beer. I did not see anyone with glass bottles. There was a group working that was watching everyone swimming. Some were on the beach and a couple were in a small boat. There weren't letting anyone go out to far in the water.

One the way down there we saw a whole flatbed full of motos. So the police were taking anyones motos that didn't have their paperwork.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I can't see that they do much harm as long as they don't hassle people. They are earning an honest living and I buy all mu casual shirts from them!

I didnt have a problem with them either, until the 45th time I was approached to buy something, and then it got really annoying.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Drowning at Sosua Beach is difficult. Nearly always calm as it is a Bay and no step drop offs or rips. I suppose if you drink and or drug to near unconscious its possible but it's not easy. Cabarete beach on the other hand had some very dangerous rips even without big surf. When the surfs up its dangerous if you are not a good swimmer. Drunks drown at Cabarete on a regular basis.