Salsa dancing in Santo Domingo?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
they know the words to many Salsa records.

Ricardo - thats because most salsa's have emotion and real good lyrics. So it goes back to the Dominican culture loving music and enjoying a good song - regardless of what music is playing on the record.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
hey ricardo900 ,speaking of salsa dancers. im from new york, and if you ask the proffesional dancers themselves who the best dancer is right now and they will tell you its a dominican ,his name is Franklin Diaz. i've seen this guy and he is amazing. talk about an innovator, hes actually incorporating flamenco into his salsa..you might not have seen him in the clubs cause he rarely dances in public. but hes there checking out the competition.

Where would we see this guy then? I love to watch a good salsa being danced!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004

Candy Mena and Juan Matos are 2 other excellent dominican-york salsa dancers. They are part of the Albert Torres salsa congress tour around the world. Some dancers in the NYC Yamul?e salsa dance company are dominicans as well.

Bartolomeo :cheeky: just back from Willie Colon/Jerry Rivera/Issac Delgado/PaulitoFG/La33 concerts.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Franklin Diaz in Belgium

September 2nd: Franklin Diaz @ Danzarte Latina, Antwerp, Belgium.
Don't ask me what he's doing here in Europe but my friend Yusy got him down here for a demo in her new dance school. It's a bit far for you, but I'll be there.
Bartolomeo turning gold ;)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
OK, so I have been to some salsa nights in the city in the past few weeks and I have to re-read this thread again to get a better grasp on what you were all talking about for real.

I love dancing and one of my favorite is salsa. However, after sitting for most of the night and ENJOYING real salsa dancing all around me, I signed up for lessons! Now I know what On 2 is and what the original poster meant when he asked about salsa dancing in DR.

I'll be honest, do not know of places that are like the afterwork salsa crowds in the city (e.g. LQ on Weds, Taj and Tavern on the Green on Mondays) So I cannot answer that.

I am looking forward to finding this type of 'crowd' in DR if it does exist, so hopefully somebody has some suggestions soon!

La_Flaca

Dec 13, 2006
Salsa clubs in SD 2007?

Hola!

After x trips to Cuba, me and a friend are going to try the DR this time.

1) Where should we go to dance? Of course we should concentrate on merengue/bachata, but are there any good clubs (=i.e. with good dancers) where we can also find some salsa/timba? (I've read this long thread, interesting but not many club recommandations...someone mentioned Villa Mella, La Victoria?).

2) I've read about "El monumento del Son" and "Cubania", have to go there of course - it'll be real interesting to see the dominican style of son. Which days of the week are best?

3) What about live merengue/bachata, where can we catch good concerts?

4) With the curfew-thing, at what time does action start? Around 21h-22h on weekdays or what? Are there any "matin?es" as in Cuba?

5) Haven't managed to find one single "What's on"/calendario on SD, does it exist?

And what about carnaval...well...lot's of questions, I guess I'll have to find out myself once there but would be greatful for some insights from other dance-freaks if you're out there...

Thanks in advance and best greetings from 2 maquinas pa' bailar.

Granrey

Aug 10, 2008
Very Educational tread

The "On 2" and "On 1" debate was really important. I start with my left foot going foward as I do in Bachata and Merengue.

Why dominicans do not dance Salsa as much as Merengue and Bachata?

First you have to focus where dominicans learn how to dance. As kids our first lessons are with our parents (you need to learn how to dance if you want to marry some day, remember?) and the first tests are in birthday parties in which you do not get cake if you don't dance. Remember?

In all these cases Merengue is played as a rule. Bachata was very low class and it became popular afterwards as the music became more romantic (amargue).

In Dominican you can find diferent styles of Salsa "lineal" going back and foward. The other which I find tough to dance is a style that I can only related to the colombian style.

I guess some videos might explain it better.

YouTube - TONY SUED

YouTube - Romy "la salsa" Peralta@Porta Caeli

YouTube - El diamante de la Salsa
YouTube - El Diamante de la Salsa 2
YouTube - Salsa En El Km 22 #1
YouTube - RENE LA SALSA 1

There were good dancers in the 80's one of them was a guy called "Popeye" and in the later 90's: Papito la Salsa, Sandy la Salsa, Yorkis la Adolencente. I actually have videos of these and some other guys. I have to upload them on you tube one day.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
The "On 2" and "On 1" debate was really important. I start with my left foot going foward as I do in Bachata and Merengue.

Why dominicans do not dance Salsa as much as Merengue and Bachata?

First you have to focus where dominicans learn how to dance. As kids our first lessons are with our parents (you need to learn how to dance if you want to marry some day, remember?) and the first tests are in birthday parties in which you do not get cake if you don't dance. Remember?

In all these cases Merengue is played as a rule. Bachata was very low class and it became popular afterwards as the music became more romantic (amargue).

In Dominican you can find diferent styles of Salsa "lineal" going back and foward. The other which I find tough to dance is a style that I can only related to the colombian style.

I guess some videos might explain it better.

YouTube - TONY SUED

YouTube - Romy "la salsa" Peralta@Porta Caeli

YouTube - El diamante de la Salsa
YouTube - El Diamante de la Salsa 2
YouTube - Salsa En El Km 22 #1
YouTube - RENE LA SALSA 1

There were good dancers in the 80's one of them was a guy called "Popeye" and in the later 90's: Papito la Salsa, Sandy la Salsa, Yorkis la Adolencente. I actually have videos of these and some other guys. I have to upload them on you tube one day.
\

Hey,

You forgot this video, which shows Villa Mellan soneros. In this video, you see Dominicans dancing salsa with feeling. No fancy stuff, just good sangundeo.

YouTube - Salsa / Son Dancing in Villa Mella