Santiago attorney Rafael Escoto

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
callik said:
You may get more responses if you start a new thread. Some people may not take a second look at this one to see your question.
I'm a newbie. How do I post a new thread?
Thanks,
Earlady

callik

Feb 24, 2004
Above the list of threads in the forum there's an icon called "new thread" on the left side. Click on the icon and you can then create a thread asking your question. Don't forget to fill in the title. Something like "Visa Question" or "Need Advise" or as you put it in your post "Any ideas on getting a visa" sounds catchy.

CALLI

earlady

Mar 7, 2004
any ideas on getting a visa?

I need some advice. I have had a hearing aid project in the DR since 1998 that grew out of my volunteer work with Orphanage Outreach. We have provided and fit about 1250 hearing aids in that time. I have a Dominican friend who I've known since I started visiting the country in 1996. I've trained him to make earmolds and he is very good. I want to bring him to this country for further training so he could do everything. However, the consulate told me unless he had a steady job in the DR he would never get a visa to come to the states for training. I said if he had a steady job in the DR he wouldn't need to come to the states but that didn't go anywhere. Any ideas on getting a visitor's visa?
Earlady

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
callik said:
Hi Everyone,

As you probably noticed already I am new to the forum. I have seen all the helpful responses that other poster's have received and I'm hoping you guys can help me out too. I'm trying to find out if anyone has used an immigration lawyer in Santiago by the name of Rafael Escoto. Basically I'd like to know if you or someone you know considers him to be an effective and reputable attorney.

Thanks
CALLI

Let first address some of our peers comments here, the US consulate and whatever officials who as posted don't consider Dominican Lawyers as legitimate or professionals for that matter are baseless and should be not even taken under consideration by you at any moment, just let one of these quick tongues get entangle in a legal problem or commercial issue and you'll notice how quick they become the first to make a line to take the first seat to consult one of those "unrecognized lawyers" LOL.

The US consulate in the DR receives 20,000 visas a year after the visas are dispensed that's it, so they issuing of these takes place in a numerical faction, for every X amount of request an X amount of denials will be imparted mostly on new petitions and requests that take some more research than normal, priority is given to Visa renewals, next of kin petitions on waiting lists, health organizations, Gov. officials, and only then after most of these are satisfied will the resulting available visas be extended and new petitioner considered one of the reasons why some people get "lucky" at year's end and get a visa issue in their application, it's a matter of fact finding to lawyers to resolve issues of conflict in a petitioner application to meet the requirements of the consular official and lastly the availability of the visa itself to be assigned to the applicant, so the notion that a lawyer can hurt more than help your application is ludicrous.

If you're a US citizen you can contact the Consul general via mail, a phone message or e-mail, and if your lawyer can't find out the reasons why the petition was denied, the consul general as per US Consular guidelines is to answer any request for such information with the direct consent of the applicant in the case that the US citizen's name doesn't show in the application within a prescribed amount of time, save for holy days closures or emergencies, this answer would be made in writing addressed to the petitioner submitted address in the application, this said you'll fare better letting a lawyer handle the paperwork, when you hire a lawyer have him sign a contract stipulating the maximum amount of time to which is acceptable to you for him to brandish a response to your requests, this will help speed up the process a bit, not intended to get you a full refund because the answer you get it's not what you expected.

As for lawyers being thieves and what not, Jesus I should post the list of crooks I had to deal here in NY, big name lawyers with "US" diplomas...

One people hero it's another's butcher, same applies to lawyers, you are going to find oodles of people who tell you this guy is a crook and canoodles of others that had a positive result in their dealings, lawyers can go so far but the load rests on your shoulders to make it work for you.