Santiago Disney park ??

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I was talking with a body of mine in Bavaro beach over the Semana Santa holiday and he mention the fact, that a group of German business men back during the Hipolito Mejia goverment wanted to buy a large piece of land and built a Disney park here in DR, to bring all those families that have the money to afford such place but can not get US visas to visit the park in Florida or California.
Now I ask you what about if these idea was to became a reality in during the next goverment of Leonel Fernandez and was built in Santiago, a city with an internation airport looking to be expand, a major hotel coming soon (Gran Cibao), but very little turism attracion and not a lot of jobs for the poorest of its citizen.
Would this idea work in the caribe area The Dominican Republic (Santiago) or would it be another Europe Disney mess.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's an interesting idea.

I guess it could work if:

1) There is enough demand.

2) The packages are combined with beach resort/mountain resort escapes. (ie. The person starts their vacation at the amusement park, spends a few days there and discovering Santiago and then they are off to Puerto Plata/Sos?a, Juan Dolio, or B?varo-Punta Cana for some sun, sand, and surf or to Jarabacoa or Constanza for some nature/mountain/hiking, etc.

It could work, but, of course, market research is needed to know if there is a demand, what the initial and operating costs might be, have an idea of the type of profit margins possible, etc.

-NALs

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was talking with a body of mine in Bavaro beach over the Semana Santa holiday and he mention the fact, that a group of German business men back during the Hipolito Mejia goverment wanted to buy a large piece of land and built a Disney park here in DR, to bring all those families that have the money to afford such place but can not get US visas to visit the park in Florida or California.
Now I ask you what about if these idea was to became a reality in during the next goverment of Leonel Fernandez and was built in Santiago, a city with an internation airport looking to be expand, a major hotel coming soon (Gran Cibao), but very little turism attracion and not a lot of jobs for the poorest of its citizen.
Would this idea work in the caribe area The Dominican Republic (Santiago) or would it be another Europe Disney mess.

Darn,
.........did I miss the election, I thought it was in May!

Personally, I don?t think it stands a chance to work. There would never be enough turn-around business to sustain it. It works in the states because of the large population base to draw in business. Repeat business from Florida residents helps a lot. Dominicans may not be able to afford to do that repeat business.

2) The packages are combined with beach resort/mountain resort escapes. (ie. The person starts their vacation at the amusement park, spends a few days there and discovering Santiago and then they are off to Puerto Plata/Sos?a, Juan Dolio, or B?varo-Punta Cana for some sun, sand, and surf or to Jarabacoa or Constanza for some nature/mountain/hiking, etc.

Nals, that would not help the "PARK" to sustain itself. The people would have to hold back money to pay for those other amenities, thus less time and money to spend at the park. A large part of the income at Disney are the food and gift shops with their high prices.

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
A Disney park. Well maybe not on the grand scale that it is in Florida. But the most popular attractions.

Dominicans need employment, a Disney park would bring some employment and a much needed tourist attraction other than sun, sand and beach.

Almost every family here in D.R. has someone in the family who is abroad working and sending money. I assure you that when that family member be it aunt, uncle, mother, father or godparent is here and can take their little ones to a Dominican Disney they will. Also the Disney park visit would be popular for birthday celebrations and graduations and of course school day trips.

I (an American citizen married living in d.r.) have the money to travel with my favorite niece or nephew to Florida disney but how the heck can I get a visa for them...they are not handing them out that easily.

Native middle class dominicans all scream we have no money but watch "they have money for new clothes, new shoes, hair salons and taxis" so don't believe everything you hear.

Carrie

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Just a thought on this............

Would this type of park not require constant hydro? I mean if the hydro cut's off can you imagine how many generators etc would be required? Is it workable from that point?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nals, that would not help the "PARK" to sustain itself. The people would have to hold back money to pay for those other amenities, thus less time and money to spend at the park. A large part of the income at Disney are the food and gift shops with their high prices.
In that case, it would be best to develop such a project somewhere along the coast where the hotels are in fact on the beach and thus, they can get the best of both worlds, assuming that the park developers would operate and own a few hotels/resorts.

B?varo-Punta Cana might be an ideal place for this, considering the relatively high number of families that visit the place, that after a few days are bored to death and screaming of leaving their resort walls.

Carrie said:
A Disney park. Well maybe not on the grand scale that it is in Florida. But the most popular attractions.
Something like Universal Orlando, which I personally think is much better than Disney or any other amusement park I have ever been to. They have two parks, a shopping/entertainment village, and three themed resorts.

This is very interesting.

The question now is how many people in the region belong to the demographics (economically, etc) that is targeted and are capable of sustaining a business of this type.

-NALs :glasses:

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Native middle class dominicans all scream we have no money but watch "they have money for new clothes, new shoes, hair salons and taxis" so don't believe everything you hear.

Carrie
:ermm:You forgot a pasola to go to school, and mobile phones:bunny::ermm:

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The question now is how many people in the region belong to the demographics (economically, etc) that is targeted and are capable of sustaining a business of this type.

-NALs

NALs, the idea was base on the fact that a lot of people in Latin America such as South and Central America need visas to enter the States and visit the park on Florida also because of the Dominican Republic location on the Caribe it will be closer for Europeas to came here and a lot cheper giving the hotel accomodations prices in DR, the Central and South american citizens will need NO visa to enter the DR, which will make it a lot easier for families to enjoy this theme park.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Disney on Ice is coming to Santo Domingo--at the Basketball Arena in the Centro Ol?mpico Juan Pablo Duarte.

Let's see how well they sell the place. full house of 10000+....???

HB

el fino

Jan 14, 2008

First time I've heard of something like this being planned in DR, I doubt that it would work, that sounds like something pretty big and it would take some real collaboration to get it done; plus it just doesn't sound right, a Disney Park in Santiago, am I right?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Folks, it will be built in Pto Plata, not Santiago.

"The new resort, dubbed “Disneyland Dominicana” is set increase Disney’s theme park empire while boosting the local economy and providing thousands of new jobs for the area. Allegedly, Disney has already purchased several large tracts of land using various holding corporations around the Long Beach and Costa Dorada area of Puerto Plata."

“How much will entrance to the theme park cost?” we asked.
“Well, we’ve decided to leave that up to the staff. As long as we get 50 dollars each entry, they’re free to charge what they want. I imagine they’ll probably quote around 300 dollars and then it’ll be up to each customer to haggle them down.”

Some of the rides will include the Gua-Gua 3D simulation and Sleeping Beauty's Castle is being Dominicanized as the Sleeping Security Guard's Castle.

Credit where credit due... a very funny article worth reading fully
http://www.gringo-times.com/articles/2007/disney-to-open-in-puerto-plata.php

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Folks, it will be built in Pto Plata, not Santiago.

"The new resort, dubbed ?Disneyland Dominicana? is set increase Disney?s theme park empire while boosting the local economy and providing thousands of new jobs for the area. Allegedly, Disney has already purchased several large tracts of land using various holding corporations around the Long Beach and Costa Dorada area of Puerto Plata."

?How much will entrance to the theme park cost?? we asked.
?Well, we?ve decided to leave that up to the staff. As long as we get 50 dollars each entry, they?re free to charge what they want. I imagine they?ll probably quote around 300 dollars and then it?ll be up to each customer to haggle them down.?

Some of the rides will include the Gua-Gua 3D simulation and Sleeping Beauty's Castle is being Dominicanized as the Sleeping Security Guard's Castle.

Credit where credit due... a very funny article worth reading fully
http://www.gringo-times.com/articles/2007/disney-to-open-in-puerto-plata.php

This was in fact a very serius offer made by a group of german business men during the Burro (Hipolito Mejia) goverment, the dam great politicos of this beautifull land want it to get a very large piece of the pie from these german invesment group so they saw all the corruction on this country and took their project and off they went...

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Well..

April's Fools anyone????? :ermm: Disney in Santiago?????.... riiiighhhhttt......

STIOP

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Hilarious article....LOL

There is no way in hell Disney would build a park here... Especially with one in Florida. The Carribean series was a disaster. Could you imagine what a theme park would be like? lol...

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Disneyland Paris is struggling to fend off bankruptcy, once again. Visitors have not flocked to the expensive new park, dedicated to the art of Hollywood film-making, which was completed last March at a cost of $600m (?370m). The chief executive was forced last week to announce that the shortfall in ticket sales meant that the company risked soon defaulting on some of its ?2.3bn (?1.6bn) debt.

This is the latest of numerous plummets experienced by Eurodisney during its short history. In 1994, two years after it opened, it had to be saved from bankruptcy with a 16bn franc (?1.6bn) rescue package, and worries only really faded with the fairytale arrival of a billionaire prince from Saudi Arabia who became the company's biggest investor. The park's rebranding as Disneyland Paris helped to improve its "Euro-dismal" image.