Santiago Orphanage Garden

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I cannot believe it but the corn planted last Friday is sprouting already maybe about 4-5 inches high! I also wanted to share a moment that occured today. I had to do another emergency plastic sandal buy for one of the boys as his were a wreck. He was really happy and I started turning the compost pile. Maybe 20 minutes later I was looking to round up the boys for basketball and I found the boy that got the sandals sitting far from everybody in the front. He had tears running down his face and when I tried to talk to him he could not or would not explain why. I had no idea what to do. We eventually played dominoes. The manager explained to me later that he has had a very rough life with a lot of abuse. I wish I could do more.

I'm sure the kids appreciate what your able to do, no matter how small it may seem. Sometimes a few simple, sincere good acts can overturn an abundance of bad acts and abuse.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdEDFFCZDZA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GdEDFFCZDZA?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="750" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Is that the same place ?
manu

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I do not recognize the place or any of the children. It says Cienfuegos but it is my understanding that before the current location there were on the road to Licey. The Professor HB would know. He said they used to be in a shack type place. Where they live now is a former drug dealers mansion but without funding to address the emotional issues the kids have. I should have said I wish I could do "better" not "more". But today is a new day with planting and a double birthday party for Saturday.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The puzzles and seeds (tomatoes & peppers) should be on their way tomorrow, AZB was nice enough to pick them up just now. So how can he contact you once in Santiago?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
"The puzzles and seeds (tomatoes & peppers) should be on their way tomorrow, AZB was nice enough to pick them up just now. So how can he contact you once in Santiago?"
Good Morning and thank you very much because we do not have either of those seeds. I will send you a PM with contact info. Thanks again for your efforts.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Yesterday got more corn along with carrots and onions planted. The boys did almost all the physical work and each team of two has their own particular vegetable to be reasponsible for. I found two "oyama" starting nearby apparently by accident so we claimed them too.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
auyama, but that's okay....good for the guys! How are the trees?? Hb I actually knew how to spell it but this was a test to see if you knew how to spell it! I gotta find out which one but the one in the middle between the other two looks a much lighter shade of green and is dry.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
ITS ALIVE!!! Cue Frankenstein like surprise. The corn is doing excellent but you cannot see the other stuff yet. The kids are doing great in taking a proprietary intererest in their garden. They got four chickens, fruit snacks, and chocolate cookies yesterday while being taught Simon Says and Charades. It took a while to get the hang of it but then they really liked it. The older ones played dominoes. I am going to be out of pocket for a while but plan a Clown triple birthday when I get back. Be safe and happy neighbors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will have to prepare the insecticide for the corn!! Will try to find something organic...anyone have a proven solution? If I go the AGRICULTURA they will prescribe some wicked stuff, that will kill everything...

This cannot wait too much longer, since the insects LOVE those green leaves...

Blessings.

HB

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
I use to spray soapy water on my small lemon tree leaves and then pour some around the base it use to help with the little caterpillar bugs that would eat the leaves. Not sure what all bugs it helps with but it is not suppose to harm the plant. This should help until you can find something better.