Santo Domingo, capital of latin america

G

Golda

Re: Funny Stuff

Tony, I was comparing these dead "mobsters" as you call them, to the living "mobster want to bes" of Miami that you celebrate

The big difference in the immigrants that came before you which you denigrate, was their deisre to build and be assimilated by the US,your "heros" are trying to use the US as a jumping off point to reclaim their homeland. How dissappointed they will be when Castro falls and another regime takes over with US backing, and they never get their property or positions returned.

I don't understand your reference to Gore? Are you saying the actual loss of Florida and subsequent reversal by the Courts were the result of Cuban's? Or are you trying to say Bush lost Florida and was then awarded the vote due to Cuban influence?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:New York=Latin America?

Tony: Your logic does not make any sense, because if we go by your definition, New York would be a much better representative of Latin America and Miami would be what San Cristobal would be to Santo Domingo, just a small town.

J

J809

PLEASE DON'T DELETE

I'm a Dominican student at the University of Miami, and Miami to me is not a Latin American city for all latinos...its basically the second capital of Cuba...this is a city run by cubans, for cubans...and u know what...they are pretty vanidoso for being of people that CAN'T live in their own country...I know Mejia is a (well i won't say, lets just say it rhymes with campesino), but if I want to go back to Santo Domingo, I can and will...as soon as I can graduate from this maldito school lol. As far as the "Cuban-American" title...thats just a convenience...denying your country so at your convenience you can belong to another one. I dont know any dominicans even if born in this country that introduce themselves as Dominican-American...oh Tony, se te olvido to tell them about the "cool" mayor Joe Carollo, that cubano was arrested for beating his wife...with a teapot...(way to treat his "papaya") that makes cubans and miami look just great...DOMINICANO, A TA LA TAMBORA......JA

D

David

TW NewYork ?

" New York would be a much better representative of Latin America and Miami would be what San Cristobal would be to Santo Domingo, just a small town."

Before you make an ignorant statement like this one

know you facts (e.g.)

Miami International aAirport
#1 entery to the US by latinos in general

Port of Miami
"Gate way to the Latin Americas"

NewYork IS THE FINANCIAL HEART OF AMERICA

but it is not in Gateway to Latin America

Sincerly,
David, Cuban-American

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: PLEASE DON'T DELETE

First All Charges against Mayor Carollo were dropped. Pretty amazing considering he is a republican and that the district attorney is a Democrat.

I am sick and tired of hearing other people gripe about the Cubans in Miami. If you don't like it you have 2 choices. Leave or Try to change the system. Don't complain because the Cubans have a achieved a level that you can only dream of. The Domincans in NY have no political power whatsoever. And who's fault is that? It is their own fault.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: Funny Stuff

Golda,

What happened? Did you fall in love with a Cuban man but he ignored you? Did one of us break your heart? Such open hostility towards us must have come from somewhere.

A

aristoba

who is complaining??

Tony
Until you started this thread , who was complaining about
cubans in miami.?
I really dont believe that the cubans are of any concern to
anybody on this board.
you are the only one complaining.And you are sick and tired of it ?
Just drop it and the complaining stops automatic.

T

Tony Castaneira

New York's latin population is not the majority. And lets face it. The latins that go to NY are of a different class then those in Miami. Miami tends to attract the better educated, well to do Latin. As oppose to NY which tends to attract the less educated types looking to be a leech on society. Of course their are exceptions to the rules. It is interesting to note that the only area that could be considered a slum that is populated by latins is the Allapatta area. Which is also know as pequeno Santo Domingo.

T

Thomas robert

I was in Habana not long ago."Stick a fork in Cuba,It,s DONE!!!"The only life was in a few dicos for "Eastern European" tourists. They can,t dance and come without a dime in their pockets.....and please excuse me,without soap or desodorant in their luggage!No colmados,don,t even think "super market! The very modern airport was almost empty. There was a parking lot for 5,000 cars,no cars!I couldn,t wait to get home to Santo. Domingo! I,m not blaming the people, they were warm and helpful,it,s Fidel and Co. Tom

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: It had to be a Cuban-American!

There are more Latin Americans living in New York than residents of all races and nationalities or the entire population of Miami, period! Dominicans in New York alone would make about 30% or more of the entire population of Miami.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Miami a city for the Latin better educated? Give me a break! Like the well educated Nicaraguan, Salvadoran and Guatemalan war and guerrilla warfare refugees who come from their indian populations, the Cuban balseros(By your own admission before you opposed my argument that only the Cuban high class came to Miami and you said I was wrong, that also the poor left the Cuban revolution)the marielito braintrust, and all the other thousands upon thousands of service employees who I assume, according to you have college degrees, plus the big population of blue collar retirees with fixed low incomes and so forth.How about all those intelligent Tio-Abuelos. Hey pal, you are talking to someone who knows Miami, so dont insult my intelligence. I also own a house there.

W

wobbly

Re: PLEASE DON'T DELETE

Tony...why can't you see that Miami is a very small, very insignificant part of the U.S.? For that matter a ver small insignificant part of Florida. If you check the most recent census you will see that the cuban population has incresed and the non cuban population has drastically been decreasing! I personally think we should excavate a big ditch just above Miami about a mile wide and make lower Florida part of the Caribbean! Most vacationers to Florida either travel to the Orlando area, Key West, Tampa, Daytona, or the Pan Handle. Personally, I have traveled to Florida at least once a year since 1968 and have never...NEVER been to Miami. Closest I ever was was when driving to Key West came within about 50 miles and that was way too close........Want to talk about minorities that have most influenced America? What about Blacks? I rest my case.

The Wobbler

J

John

Re: Santo Domingo.... to Keith

Definitively you are one of the few here in this board that really can talk about SD. Most of the expats who visit this board live in small towns like sosua, puerto plata, etc. and dont know much about santo dgo. they come for a day or two in metro tours, stay at hotels in El Conde, so they know almost nothing about SD.
most of your points of view are interesting, but i have to argue in some of them with you.
First.
The Catedral in mexico is nice, but.. how you can tell, if this is full of scaffolds inside to keeping from sinking. about the sorroundings areas, it is true the zocalo, goverment palace, etc are nice, but it is dirty as hell, and full of indians selling all kind of junks. sorry, but you dont see vendors around our catedral.
Beaches? yes, we have beach in SD, and nice beach. if you take the new map, you will see that boca chica belongs to SD.
Rivers?, i know that ozama river is contaminated now, but do you know about the $3 billions project to convert the river in a touristic area such as the river in San Antonio.
what about the Isabela river around cuesta hermosa?
Theathers, sorry, i missed to say that i am talking about modern theathers, of course being an architect i wont compare our National theather with Bellas Artes in Mexico or Colon in argentina, full of history.
phones? this is maybe the only country in LA, where you can get your home phone is less than 24 hours. you have to wait around 2 years in Mexico.
cable tv?, if you get 20 channels in mexico, you are very lucky.
here we have over 70.
restaurants? it is strange that you were dissapointed with our rests. did you check? Italo's (150-200dlls/p), fellini, Season's, Caribbean blue, Jardines San Pedro? what about a good steak house as David Crockett or Rancho Steak House?
I know Buenos Aires, Mexico city, Santiago are bigger than Santo Domingo and maybe has much to offer, but where are they located?
how much an airfare ticket cost to go to buenos aires, santiago or sao Paolo?
santo domingo is just 2 hours from miami (the latin american financial center)
how can you call Sao Paolo or Rio capital of LA. if they are not even Hispanic.
Miami is not even in Latin America. and it is full of cubans..... !foo que bajo!

T

Tgf

Re: to John

Latin America has nothing to do with just being Hispanic. Every Latin American studies program includes Brazil as part of Latin America. It has to do with both Portugal and Spain being part of the Iberian peninsula, both sending out colonists to the "New World" that they divided between themselves, with both being under Papal control (read Catholic) religiously, and having many cultural, economic, and historically similar experiences. The url attached will give a fair read about what "defines" Latin America.

You like Santo Domingo and think it is world class. Good, your choice. I don't and agree with Keith's posts. Also you quote about its proximity and how cheap it is to fly to the D.R. from Miami. Well I don't live in Miami and it is cheaper for me to fly to Mexico City, London, or Paris than to Santo Domingo most of the time. On special deals I can fly to Rio de Janeiro or Santiago, Chile for about the same cost as I can fly to the D.R. on normal flight prices. The lack of competition of airlines to the D.R. is hurting its tourism. I love the D.R. but am not a big fan of the city of Santo Domingo. That's my choice.

G

Golda

Another Sad Cuban

Tony you are so cute and predictable. when you are at loss for sensible commentary (99% of the time,) you revert to your favorite "issue," that of personal attacks.

I have had no experience with a Cuban "suitor" nor do I have the slightest desire to do so.

It is unfortunate you try and represent yourself as a spokesperson for Cuban-Americans, you only further disgrace a minority held in low esteem by most Americans.

T

Thomas robert

Re: Another Sad Cuban

I guess that Golda and Tony will go on with their personal attacks until the rest of us die of "boredom".I said before,exchange email address, if you want to go on,and on, and on,insulting each other! We look forward to "not" hearing from you. Tom

K

Keith R

Re: Santo Domingo.... to Keith

Estimado John,

Reciba mi saludo m?s cordial. Thank you for your message. As with your first message, on some points we agree. But many we do not. Let me respond to some of your counterpoints.

> most of your points of view are interesting, but i have to argue in some of them with you.
> First.
> The Catedral in mexico is nice, but.. how you can tell, if this is full of scaffolds inside to keeping from sinking. about the
> sorroundings areas, it is true the zocalo, goverment palace, etc are nice, but it is dirty as hell, and full of indians selling all kind of
> junks. sorry, but you dont see vendors around our catedral.

Re-read my message. I was not talking about the Catedral Metropolitana. I also find the C.M. a disgusting mess. In my message I referred to the BASILICA DE LA VIRGIN DE GUADELUPE. A completely different story! If you think the Catedral de las Americas is more impressive than the complex at La Virgin's Basilica, with its beautiful chapels and gardens, then you are in a distinct minority in Latin America.

> Beaches? yes, we have beach in SD, and nice beach. if you take the new map, you will see that boca chica belongs to SD.

I partially concede the point. Politically and legally speaking, B.C. WAS in Santo Domingo -- until the recent partioning of the city into four municipalities. But, I'll agree we can consider it part of "Greater Santo Domingo."

I guess because I always had to travel so far to get to BC that I did not really consider it part of SD per se. The beaches along SD's Malecon were never really that good for swimming, my wife & suegra tell me, but at least when they were growing up they were not so litter strewn and the water not so full of raw sewage.

> Rivers?, i know that ozama river is contaminated now, but do you know about the $3 billions project to convert the river in a touristic
> area such as the river in San Antonio.

Yes, I know about the project. I applaud the attempt, as well as the Environment Ministry's push to stop dumping and illegal effluent emissions into the Ozama, and the Navy's work to help clean it. But having the Ozama as something to "dream of" as you put it, is still far into the future. And I seriously doubt that the Ozama will ever be as charming as San Antonio's River Walk. Few places in the world are. [Yes, I've been there too.]

> what about the Isabela river around cuesta hermosa?

Better! But the Ozama is the river that dominates SD life and therefore must be taken into account when evaluating your stated reasons why the SD should be considered the capital of Latin America.

> Theathers, sorry, i missed to say that i am talking about modern theathers, of course being an architect i wont compare our National
> theather with Bellas Artes in Mexico or Colon in argentina, full of history.

I wasn't speaking of their architecture. Of course Bellas Artes in Mexico City is prettier. I was speaking of programming. And I said that I was impressed at how good the performance arts are in SD and they are getting better all the time. This, in my book, is a big plus for SD. But they are still not quite caught up with the level of theater I have seen in Buenos Aires or S?o Paulo or Mexico City. Getting there, but not quite yet.

> phones? this is maybe the only country in LA, where you can get your home phone is less than 24 hours. you have to wait around 2
> years in Mexico.

In November-December 1995 in SD I waited over a month for a phone to be installed, and only got it then when we had a relative with influence in Codetel intervene. Even then, Codetel employees tried to get a bribe to install it! In January 1997, I had to wait a week for Tricom to install a second line. So yes, installation is improving for many. But I still hear from some relatives that installation can take weeks or months.

And installation is not the only barometer of service and "best phone system." For example, I had four years of difficulty calling my wife during the day, and she worked only 2 miles away, all within SD! "Lo sentimos, todos los circuitos est?n ocupados" became the most hated refrain on my phone line. Trying to fax to South America was always troublesome. Codetel changed our phone number twice -- WITHOUT TELLING US! Disputing a bill with erroneous charges & services I never ordered and phone calls I never made was a tremendous travail that wasted much of my time. My dail-up link to Tricom dropped on me constantly. Internet service was down frequently. Once Tricom changed its Internet connection protocols to PPP, but forgot to notify us users. When I phoned them to find out why I couldn't connect, they said, oh, just download the software fix from our website. I replied, and just how am I supposed to do that if I cannot connect to the Internet because of the changes you made? "Oh, that could be a problem..." Tricom NEVER fixed my phone line after Hurrican Georges, but continued to bill me for regular service for 9 months!!! And Tricom refused to re-establish service until I paid for these bogus bills!

So, please pardon me for feeling that simply having the latest and greatest technology does not necssarily equate with having the best phone service.

> cable tv?, if you get 20 channels in mexico, you are very lucky.
> here we have over 70.

Interesting that you choose to compare SD with Mexico City, when the comparison I made was with Rio's. My point on this one still stands.

> restaurants? it is strange that you were dissapointed with our rests. did you check? Italo's (150-200dlls/p), fellini, Season's,
> Caribbean blue, Jardines San Pedro? what about a good steak house as David Crockett or Rancho Steak House?

It's not so strange. Everyone I know who has traveled widely outside the DR has said similar things about SD's range of restaurant options. There are a few gems (many of them frankly overpriced), but many of the restaurants are okay or mediocre -- none I would rave about . The steak houses you mention are fine, but they frankly do not hold a candle to Mariau's in Rio, Spettus in Brasilia, or even El Novillero in Santiago de Chile.

> I know Buenos Aires, Mexico city, Santiago are bigger than Santo Domingo and maybe has much to offer, but where are they
> located?

Last time I checked, Latin America.

> how much an airfare ticket cost to go to buenos aires, santiago or sao Paolo?

Depends on many factors, including season and how far in advance you buy them. But I have often traveled to Brazil for what American asks for SD, and I ALWAYS pay less to travel to Mexico City than I do SD.

> santo domingo is just 2 hours from miami (the latin american financial center)

I didn't realize being within 2 hrs of Miami was a criterion of being the "capital of Latin America." That means you're restricting the competition to Havana, Port au Prince, Kingston and SD. Gee, sort of stacking the deck, aren't you?

> how can you call Sao Paolo or Rio capital of LA. if they are not even Hispanic.

Re-read my message. I never called either one the capital of LA. In point of fact, I suggested that even Paulistas (people from S?o Paulo, in case you didn't know) would contest Rio as the capital! I just said that these two cities could match or better most of the criteria you cited for being the capital of Latin America.

Hmmm, I didn't know that being Hispanic was a criterion for being in "Latin" America. As someone with a B.A. in Latin American Studies and a Masters in International Relations, I can firmly assure you that "Latin America" does indeed include Portuguese-speaking Brazil. "Latin," by almost any official definition, includes those of Iberian heritage, which most assuredly Brazil is. Some experts -- I think primarily geographers -- would also include French-speaking Haiti, Dutch-speaking Suriname, and English-speaking Guyana, Jamaica, Trinidad, Belize and a host of the Antilles in "Latin" America.

Even if you try to stack the deck by removing 1/2 half of the region's population and nearly 1/2 of its territory (i.e., Brazil), SD STILL would have to compete with Buenos Aires and Mexico City for the title of "capital of Latin America." I know some Dominicans like to dream otherwise, but these two cities can match or better any of the criteria you've offered for the claim of "capital of Latin America."

> Miami is not even in Latin America. and it is full of cubans..... !foo que bajo!

Re-read my message. I acknowledged that Miami technically is not in Latin America, and that I myself do not offer Miami as the capital of LA. I said that many Latin Americans suggest that it has become/is becoming the DE FACTO capital. [I have had Brazilian, Venezuelan and Colombian friends make this case to me.] You yourself already ackowledged in your post that it is LA's financial capital. It is fast becoming more.

I used to dismiss the idea of Miami becoming LA's "capital" -- and I am still not totally persuaded -- because I felt that Miami was too dominated by Cuban influences. But since the 1980's, Miami has become much more broad spectrum -- it even has a fast-growing Dominican community.

So while Miami may not yet be the de facto capital, trends are headed in that direction, and not toward Santo Domingo.

I'll say again, I love Santo Domingo. It holds a special place in my heart. I have always argued -- just ask any of my former students at the Dominico, or my compadre Pedro, or my other friends or my (very large) Dominican family -- that SD COULD be the cross-roads, if not the "capital," of Latin America. But I'm afraid that anyone looking at it honestly and logically must conclude that SD has much, much work to do become it can ever realize this dream.

Con todo respecto,
Keith

K

Keith R

So Much for SD's Bid to Match SA's River Walk :-(

By the way, I was actually trying to be charitable in my reponse regarding your point about the Ozama and Isabela rivers. But reading today's DR1 News, I'm afraid my fears about how long it'll take to clean up these rivers are unfortunately justified...
Best regards,
Keith

>>
>>3. Senate turns down loan
>>The Senate has rejected a US$368 million loan for the recovery of the Ozama and Isabela rivers signed by the Technical Secretariat of the Presidency, Abitral Financial Associated and Italian Rio Ozama consortium. The Senate suggested that the Executive Branch find better technical, organizational and social solutions to the problem of the pollution of the Ozama and Isabela rivers and its slum neighborhoods. The president of the Senate Commission of Finances called the financing a vulgar fraud in the making, as reported in the List?n Diario. The Senate ascertained that the Abitral Financing company had only four employees in a small office in Italy.
>>The Senate has approved millions in loans for projects promoted
by small offices employing two or three employees in Spain, as El
Caribe newspaper has denounced in the past.
>>

G

Golda

Dear Thomas Robert

It seems that you like to follow Tony and I around and comment on our posts so much (no one else appears bothered) I would feel that you were being deprived if we ceased our production for you.

If you notice, each post has a place for name and subject, if you don't care for what we post why continually read it and add your criticism which is of even lesser value?

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: Another Sad Cuban

Don't worry Golda. me and my Cuban brothers are doing quite fine without you. The only Americans who hold us in low esteem are just jealous racists such as yourself who can't stand our sucess. Are we at times arrogant? Sure we are. But as the song goes. "It is hard to be humble when you are perfect in every way!"