Santo Domingo for 3 full days

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
No,sorry but try calling him to arrange your trip. Fees are reasonable in that area.The whole day may run $50, and you don't waste time getting lost!

So he will be able to pick us up in Santo Domingo - drive us around in Jarabacoa and then in the pm drive us back to Santo Domingo, correct?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks for this update.
Does Appolo Taxi takes folks from SD to Jarabacoa and back for a day trip?
Do you speak fluent Spanish because you will have to with Apolo Taxi to arrange a full day with car and driver.

Are you also aware it is close to a two hour drive one way to Jarabacoa? Another thing to consider if you hire a driver from Apolo the chances of the driver knowing the city of Jarabacoa will be slim.

Why not just settle for the day trip in the link Matilda provided. Sounds stress free to me.

The other option mentioned was to hire a driver in Jarabacoa which will entail taking public transport to get to Jarabacoa. Not the easiest thing to do for rep dom newbies.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The Nacional Zoo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - YouTube

Acuario Nacional - The Aquarium, Santo Domingo 25 Insider Tips, Photos and Reviews

Jard?n Bot?nico - Botanical Garden, Santo Domingo 26 Insider Tips, Photos and Reviews

Guide to Colonial Zone, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

The Dominican Republic is a very simple country which makes itinerary planning very complicated. Travelling with children further complicates things. Complications sometimes equate to unbudgeted expenses. I'd suggest spending 3 days enjoying what Santo Domingo has to offer and leave the side trips for when you have more time to visit. Santo Domingo has some very interesting sights.

I agree with you greydread, I didn't really want to say anything because I have only lived here for 11 months but for only 3 full days here I don't think it is a good idea to go to Jarabacoa either. There is always something weird that happens and things don't ever seem to be easy here.

It will be more stressful than fun I think for family especially with kids. They will be tired and cranky for sure! 3 full days is not much time really to do all of that and not be totally stressed out.
I am one to try and pack all I can into a Vacay but I wouldn't try that with what I know now about the DR.

Good luck to the OP with whatever you decide.
Have a great Vacay!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with greydread too, there is much to see on the south coast. Jarabacoa is a long drive from Santo Domingo, and deserves a 2 day stay to do the area justice. Save it for another trip.

And forget about someone coming from Jarabacoa to SD to Jarabacoa to SD then driving home to Jarabacoa. Geesh.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Also bear in mind that some things in Jarabacoa such as rafting and horse riding have to be booked in advance - you can't just pitch up and say "take me now".

Matilda

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Instead of Jarabacoa, rent a car and drive up to La Romana and go to the Alto's de Chavon. This a recreated Italian village on the hill overlooking the Rio Chavon. Google it for it's interesting history.

LtSteve

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
See the La Romana guide

http://dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf

With the new highway, La Romana is but an easy hour's drive east. You could rent a car for the day.
But to visit Altos de Chavon alone, you will be asked to pay a hefty admission fee.

Probably other readers can suggest ways to get around this if you plan on going.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Many thanks!!!!

You're welcome. I have to admit that I always recommend this site, first because it is a good resource and second because they bought a lot of my photos to use for Santo Domingo right before I left so it was a paid farewell tour for me in many ways. ;)

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
SDQ 3 Full Days

Hello again,

The guy I mentioned named Alejandro who works out of the Beatro Hotel in La Zona Colonial said he would charge $150 for the day, which is very reasonable considering he will spend about $50.00 in gas. If you rent a car with insurance and taxes it can run you $50.00 for the car plus $50.00 in gas, so in short this costs you just $50.00 more for a driver.

FYI - bring OFF or another mosquito spray as you will want to protect yourself from annoying bites.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
History? It was built in the mid 1970's by Charles Bludhorn, then President of Paramount Studios as a birthday gift to his daughter who is now married to DR politician Hatuey DeCamps. It was built to resemble a 16th century village but in reality it is no more than a Hollywood movie set. Yes, it is beautiful, but unless your going to a concert or enjoying another activity at Casa De Campo it is boring. Visit the Zona Colonial for the real thing.