Santo Domingo is EXPENSIVE - Living Expenses for Past 3 months

Feb 7, 2007
Seemsl like govenrment propaganda to me.... I bet u there are MUCH more people living on 527 US or less... 20-25 percent maybe?

So I guess there is 0% of the population that earns between USD$316 and USD$527?

Yep I too just noted there is a "GAP" between "US$316 and less" bracket and "US$527 to US$922" bracket ... where's the bracket of people living on "US$316 to US$527" ? because the other brackets do sum up to 100% ... so yes, there IS something wrong with those numbers....OR, there are no people living in that income bracket in the DR, which I hihly doubt. Anyway, PICHARDO's numbers do not necessarily always add up, SO ...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Let me use my old math.....10.4 +30.6 +13 +26 +13 +5 +2 =100% Where does the USD$316 to USD$527 populaton fall in this 100% of the population? A simple question requiring a simple answer. Either they account for 0% of the population or somebody made an error.

Told you it can't be understood unless you want to see it!

10.4 to 30.6, the .4 and .6 indicate the % of HH that fall within the break-point category in this economic report. At those two poles, the dynamics are too hard to pinpoint to where one belongs to the poor 10 +/- 1% or low income 30 +/- 1%...

The greater 0.6% went to the Low income from the last reports based on the economic data we gathered, which was also corroborated by the international and state report on the significant drop of poverty in the DR...

That's to say that there's a greater number of HHs that are within growth reach of the Low income level than the number of HHs closer to the poverty threshold and below.

Again, the breakpoint between the poor and the low income groups is much greater than many here take under economic consideration and what social groups use to guide their NGO's goals to parts of the society they seek to improve, wherein living conditions or welfare matters are the subject of their approach. Our approach is purely based on a perspective of biz alone and in singularity to that of the economic strata in the DR.

We identified the breakpoint to what's easy to discern from an economic standpoint as "poverty", as well as what becomes the base of economic support to what we deemed a low income HH. All this is from a pure economic basis, clearly departed from the social innuendos carried by the stigma of modern societies in developed/developing nations.

Education standings are not translated into economic classes or levels of HH income as proportions or interaction of the two, from the biz standpoint. That's to say you can cater to two disparate social classes where the levels of education are insurmountable from one to the other, but from the biz standpoint both sectors from their respective economic levels can be clients of equal importance to the same biz model. For example, a pharmacy can cater to both the creme of the society when it comes the education level as well as the illiterate from the low income level for the very same product and base of sales in many aspects of goods.

The difference between the two levels of society are disparate enough, yet for the biz it accounts as clients in their model, the low income illiterate is as good as a client as the super educated.

However being that the case for the social status between the two levels, the poor (again illiterate as it might be) can't share the same client potential to the pharmacy as the low income and equal possible illiterate/low educated could, when compared as clients to the ubber rich (and quite possible ubber educated).

How do we separate the poor from the low income with exacting HH income data? We can't! That's why it's easier to identify the breakpoint between the poor and below, as well as the breakpoint of the low income and where it must hold the ground not to fall to the level underneath it.

The amounts included as per poverty and low income, reflect the reality of a HH that must make do with the reality of the economic environment present today in the DR. One thing is what the gov reports as the working minimum wages, the reported wage and so on and quite the other the reality of an informal economy ruled by more than supply or demand and most certainly not being reported faithfully to the fisco.

Simply losing one income earner in a HH of the low income class can revert that HH into a poor level within a short period. For the same token, an income earner that secures a better job prospect with a larger income from a poor level can upgrade the HH income of the poor HH well into the level of the low income HH in a short and equally span of time.

The dynamics of both poles are fluid in the DR, and being able to ascertain with any degree of certainty which HHI group belongs entirely to one or the other group without fail is simply a lie.

Feb 7, 2007
Pichardo, why don't you just RE-DO the table, and add the correct % to each bracket... instead of all the clutter you are throwing at us ... in ANY and every country, when they do stats, they make brackets and do not make gaps ... sum all the brackets up to 100% and be over with it, PLEASE!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Pichardo, why don't you just RE-DO the table, and add the correct % to each bracket... instead of all the clutter you are throwing at us ... in ANY and every country, when they do stats, they make brackets and do not make gaps ... sum all the brackets up to 100% and be over with it, PLEASE!

Because I did my homework to get my Diploma from School and University +, I didn't spent my time in frat parties or pushing by...

If they can't understand such simplistic economic breakdown, then by all means they should go get a second opinion on that HS/College diploma from the first world nations....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
No no no, your making this more than it is..I live in Santo Domingo, have been for 12 years, owning the property for the last 9 years. It is up to you how you want to live ok. You want to live the same as the USA well then you will pay more than your average " Joe ". We all know that. Thank you OP for your breakdown of your monthly expenses. Before you move here ask yourself the BIG question, can I afford to live here and what kind of life do I want to live. I own and still my budget is $ 3500 per month. Santo Domingo is expensive but do I want to do without certain luxuries,NO.. I respect what the OP said, this is how they want to live. Not everyone wants to come here on that " bare to the bones budget " and we should respect that. Some of us have have done better than others in that situation but we all have our own standards.

Aug 19, 2004
Eating at home - I'm not trying to sound like a diva (or Obama when he complained about the price of arugula haha) but it's pretty simple - if you eat local fare, then it's cheaper. But if you want to maintain the same diet you had at home - feta cheese? Angus steaks? HP Sauce? A1 Sauce? Habanero Tobasco? etc, it's all imported, and close to double the price in the States.

This does seem a bit sad. Why would anyone want to maintain the same diet as their previous locations (giving the impression that it is some how better) when you can have a new and varied diet in the DR. The local produce is more than "fried Jumbo salami" - what about all those tropical fruits and vegtables which will be much cheaper than the same in NYC not that that is the main issue. Angus steaks? - why not try Mondongo for a change!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Mister "Pee" Must Have Been ASLEEP In His "STATISTICS" Classes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR,he surely would have learned the Three,"Basics Laws Of Statistics"!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of statistics:
#1. Lies.
#2. Lies.
and,#3,..."DAMN LIES"
------------------------------------------
His "Contract"(Read,"AGENDA"!) as chief "SPIN DOCTOR" for "Leonel",and the "PLD", requires him to only use #3.in all public "presentations".
So Far,he in NOT in danger of breaching his contract,and..................looks like he may qualify for a huge bonus!!!
To be paid with money,"left over" from the construction of the "Elefante Grande"!(commonly refered to in Santo Domingo,as,"El Metro"! Which you can ride to yet another "ELEFANTE GRANDE",(COMMONLY refered to in SD as the "Garage Stupido" at La UASD!(The Place where stupid kids go to study:Rock Throwing 101,and "Huelga"2.0)
So many "Elefantes Blancos",so little time left before next "Mayo"! What's a "Funcionario PLDista to do next?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Somebody stick a fork in me,I'm DONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 19, 2004

Please!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Because I did my homework to get my Diploma from School and University +, I didn't spent my time in frat parties or pushing by...

If they can't understand such simplistic economic breakdown, then by all means they should go get a second opinion on that HS/College diploma from the first world nations....
I did, too, PICHARDO, in hard subjects. And I have difficulty in deciphering your post.

No one asked about the delta brackets due to fluidity of classification. They asked for basic, raw numbers =/- 5%. Should be easy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Actually (back to the OP) even though we are more frugal on some counts, our monthly expenses for a family of three are almost as high.
Apartment is paid for for so we only pay maintenance - a hefty 200US$.
We never use a/c and don't have a dryer so our electricity is never more than US$75 in the hotter months, down to about US$45 in the cooler months, so an average of about US$60
Water is about US$13 flat rate
Gas (for cooking) is included in maintenance
Cleaner (2 days a week) US$200
Food - about US$600
School (pro-rata-ed over 12 months) US$500
Health insurance and spending US$100+
Eating out (Punta Cana is more expensive than the capital) up to US$300
Gasoline US$200
Vehicle insurance (full) US$100
Clothes (purchased overseas) US$150 on average
Hair salon US$30
Internet, 2 cellphones (no landline or cable/satellite TV) US$200
Misc expenses US$200
Total - US$3,353
So if we were paying 1,800 for an apartment we would be more or less on the same spending level as the OP. One major expense I left out is our annual trip home which usually eats up the best part of US$5000.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
How do you feel about the level of education that your kids are getting for $500/month. Is it higher or lower than public school in America?

Maybe we're 2 gordos but we just can't live without AC! haha

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's just one kid, but I wouldn't be able to compare as we've never lived in America. :) I would say that the standards in bilingual schools in that price bracket are generally on a par with a good state school in the UK with the bonus of a grounding in Spanish as well as English.
We hate a/c, and as we live on the 4th floor and get good cross breezes it's almost always cool enough with a fan. In January and February it even cools down enough to sleep without a fan. We also time our trip overseas to coincide with one of the hotter months. If we didn't have to be back for the start of the school year in mid/late August we would stay till the end of September.

RobGar

Oct 19, 2011
We live very well at around $2000mo. Very well.

My retired mother receives approximately the same $2,000./mo; and as she tells me
she only spends about half that ($1,000) per month (without rent since she owns).

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
OR,he surely would have learned the Three,"Basics Laws Of Statistics"!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of statistics:
#1. Lies.
#2. Lies.
and,#3,..."DAMN LIES"
------------------------------------------
His "Contract"(Read,"AGENDA"!) as chief "SPIN DOCTOR" for "Leonel",and the "PLD", requires him to only use #3.in all public "presentations".
In spite of being a self-professed economist, Pichardo even violates the economics axiom "Figures don't lie, but liars figure". In his case both the figures and the figurer are frauds.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I did, too, PICHARDO, in hard subjects. And I have difficulty in deciphering your post.

No one asked about the delta brackets due to fluidity of classification. They asked for basic, raw numbers =/- 5%. Should be easy.

Et tu, Brute?

Let's go the primary and elementary way here on this for all of you!

The claim is that there's a whole block of HHs missing from the USD$316 or less to live like 10.4% of HHs in poverty (notice here that this one does not includes a "to" as maximum breakpoint by definition of where it breaks "breakpoint" to the next level, but only informs where they drop and can be identified as "poor" with HHI economic classification based on the table for all the levels included in the report) to the next level where USD$527 to 922 to live like 30.6% of Low income HHs is denoted and clearly identified the break "breakpoint" onto the next economic level assigned in the report.

If notice is paid when reading the report breakdown for each level of HHI, it can be seen with ease how both the "Poor" and the "Low" income HHs breakdowns are the sole ones assigned a fraction of a % instead of a whole value. This fraction of the % represents the "fluidity of classification" based on the impossible task of identifying a given % of households either fully or partial to each level. The fraction % assigned indicates what's upheld by the economic data of which breakpoint pole accounts for the most HHs with people moving closer or falling back to each of those levels (0.6% and 0.4% as detailed).

Having income above USD$316 for a HH will not take it a notch above in their reported HHI level, but until they can reach and keep that pole breakpoint of USD$527 satisfactorily and long term. For the same reasons a HH that's identified as Low income (USD$527 to 922) will not fall into the poverty level by just losing some income temporarily from their pole breakpoint of USD$527. If however they continue to present an economic delta in their bracket that reduces along a given time span and dips below the USD$316 pole breakpoint, the family HHI is then demoted and classified as "Poor".

There's no USD$316 to USD$527 HHI level, as this would be unthinkable from the perspective of a biz that relies on sound economic data to offer products to investors seeking a clear long term map of support to their plans in a given area of the DR. For any market sector to offer such lineal solution as you guys paint here, that would be as accepting such social modifiers employed by social institutions when despicting such social-economic breakdowns as extreme poverty/poor/low income/etc...

From our type of biz there's no such thing as extreme poverty and poor, there's simply the "Poor" HH that's struggling and catered to by only a minimal niche within the investment sector.

A HH that's not able to constantly maintain and support a HHI above USD$316 each month in the DR is identified as "Poor".
A HH that's able to constantly maintain and support a HHI of USD$527 each month in the DR is identified as "Low Income".

Where are the people that make in between USD$316 and USD$527 each month and therefore can't be fully assgined as whole of the "Poor" or of the "Low Income"? 0.4% is struggling to better their situation towards Low Income, and 0.6% is struggling not to fall back to below the pole breakpoint for the "Poor".

If then you can add, you can see there's 100% accountability for all the people in their income levels as well as those that will forever remain in between the pole breakpoints to each above or below.

The HH are accounted for using a liberal formula to denote where their in-between lies stronger, rather of where they firmly stand at.

The economic pole breakpoints are static on the report and represented uniformly in the other levels when compared to the "poor" to the "low income" gap, because by reasoning of their own material and economic means these levels are strongly supported in their status brackets. A low income HH that faces economic trouble when they dip below their minimum income, can resort to selling property, turning values held, getting loans, pawning, etc... Until their level of income improves over a longer span of time unlike what a low income HH falling below their minimum pole breakpoint can do, not to mention a poor HH...

The "gap" or missing income you see is nothing more than the fluidity of the pole breakpoints between the poor and the low income in the DR. The poverty level can go from bad to very, very bad depending on how low your HHI falls. Even if your HHI peaks above USD$316 but floats below constantly from USD$527, your conditions are that of poverty. The same happens to the low income HH, where they can upkeep a living quality condition that affords them a basic number of services at or above the pole breakpoint indicated as for their HHI level. They could dip from time to time, but this will not make the home fall into poverty long term, just face constraining aftereffects temporarily until their HHI picks up again in the short term.

Why the USD$316 to USD$527 gap? Because this is the amount that would not entail a HH to be able to support a low income lifestyle long term, nor would it spell poverty long term for the same HH as the fluidity of their HHI peaks of drops over the long term.

By all means if you want to find out first hand how the USD$316 and USD$527 came about, try to make a living with a budget in between those two amounts and see where your quality of life brackets you economically in the DR...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why the USD$316 to USD$527 gap? Because this is the amount that would not entail a HH to be able to support a low income lifestyle long term, nor would it spell poverty long term for the same HH as the fluidity of their HHI peaks of drops over the long term.

This makes no sense in English and in fact would equate to a failing grade in HS English. Please post in Spanish and I will take a copy to the office of Mercadotecnica at PUCMM and see what they would say. :)

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Et tu, Brute?

Let's go the primary and elementary way here on this for all of you!

The claim is that there's a whole block of HHs missing from the USD$316 or less to live like 10.4% of HHs in poverty (notice here that this one does not includes a "to" as maximum breakpoint by definition of where it breaks "breakpoint" to the next level, but only informs where they drop and can be identified as "poor" with HHI economic classification based on the table for all the levels included in the report) to the next level where USD$527 to 922 to live like 30.6% of Low income HHs is denoted and clearly identified the break "breakpoint" onto the next economic level assigned in the report.

If notice is paid when reading the report breakdown for each level of HHI, it can be seen with ease how both the "Poor" and the "Low" income HHs breakdowns are the sole ones assigned a fraction of a % instead of a whole value. This fraction of the % represents the "fluidity of classification" based on the impossible task of identifying a given % of households either fully or partial to each level. The fraction % assigned indicates what's upheld by the economic data of which breakpoint pole accounts for the most HHs with people moving closer or falling back to each of those levels (0.6% and 0.4% as detailed).

Having income above USD$316 for a HH will not take it a notch above in their reported HHI level, but until they can reach and keep that pole breakpoint of USD$527 satisfactorily and long term. For the same reasons a HH that's identified as Low income (USD$527 to 922) will not fall into the poverty level by just losing some income temporarily from their pole breakpoint of USD$527. If however they continue to present an economic delta in their bracket that reduces along a given time span and dips below the USD$316 pole breakpoint, the family HHI is then demoted and classified as "Poor".

There's no USD$316 to USD$527 HHI level, as this would be unthinkable from the perspective of a biz that relies on sound economic data to offer products to investors seeking a clear long term map of support to their plans in a given area of the DR. For any market sector to offer such lineal solution as you guys paint here, that would be as accepting such social modifiers employed by social institutions when despicting such social-economic breakdowns as extreme poverty/poor/low income/etc...

From our type of biz there's no such thing as extreme poverty and poor, there's simply the "Poor" HH that's struggling and catered to by only a minimal niche within the investment sector.

A HH that's not able to constantly maintain and support a HHI above USD$316 each month in the DR is identified as "Poor".
A HH that's able to constantly maintain and support a HHI of USD$527 each month in the DR is identified as "Low Income".

Where are the people that make in between USD$316 and USD$527 each month and therefore can't be fully assgined as whole of the "Poor" or of the "Low Income"? 0.4% is struggling to better their situation towards Low Income, and 0.6% is struggling not to fall back to below the pole breakpoint for the "Poor".

If then you can add, you can see there's 100% accountability for all the people in their income levels as well as those that will forever remain in between the pole breakpoints to each above or below.

The HH are accounted for using a liberal formula to denote where their in-between lies stronger, rather of where they firmly stand at.

The economic pole breakpoints are static on the report and represented uniformly in the other levels when compared to the "poor" to the "low income" gap, because by reasoning of their own material and economic means these levels are strongly supported in their status brackets. A low income HH that faces economic trouble when they dip below their minimum income, can resort to selling property, turning values held, getting loans, pawning, etc... Until their level of income improves over a longer span of time unlike what a low income HH falling below their minimum pole breakpoint can do, not to mention a poor HH...

The "gap" or missing income you see is nothing more than the fluidity of the pole breakpoints between the poor and the low income in the DR. The poverty level can go from bad to very, very bad depending on how low your HHI falls. Even if your HHI peaks above USD$316 but floats below constantly from USD$527, your conditions are that of poverty. The same happens to the low income HH, where they can upkeep a living quality condition that affords them a basic number of services at or above the pole breakpoint indicated as for their HHI level. They could dip from time to time, but this will not make the home fall into poverty long term, just face constraining aftereffects temporarily until their HHI picks up again in the short term.

By all means if you want to find out first hand how the USD$316 and USD$527 came about, try to make a living with a budget in between those two amounts and see where your quality of life brackets you economically in the DR...

images

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This makes no sense in English and in fact would equate to a failing grade in HS English. Please post in Spanish and I will take a copy to the office of Mercadotecnica at PUCMM and see what they would say. :)

I know I have attacked you for attacking posters on their English skills, but, Chip I am 100000 % with you on that one :)

How do you say summary in Spanish, lol ?