Santo Domingo Restaurants

polancomariel

Aug 20, 2013
www.insatiable.wordpress.com
Hey guys! absolutetly, Pate palo is an awesome restaurant and its right in the colonial city, one of my favorite parts of Santo Domingo. Mamajuana Cafe is also near by with similar price range and awesome food, i have a post about it, with pictures of the dishes I ate :)

I have a food blog oriented to restaurants in Santo Domingo,called InsatiableDR (FYI it?s in english ). I post about once a week on a new restaurant every time. Check it out and make sure you follow to get instant notifications on new posts.

I?m also available on twitter @insatiabledr . If you have any questions about food or Dominican Republic in General I?ll be glad to help, me being a dominican will probably give you another point of view :)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I prefer Don Nestor steak , eat there every week, good Argentine cooked on the parilla!

Don Nestors has good steaks argentina style. If it is raining, not a great choice because it is basically a grill and some tables in a plaza but owner is always there and steaks are very good.

Same league as Don Nestor for Argentina style we have Asadero Argentina, and Antonios. IMHO a cut above is Patagonia Grill in Naco, my fave new steakhouse in DR.

David Crocketts is good as well, but the best and as good as top US steak place? Not really. Not a huge Ruth's Chris fan but would pick them over David Crockett if there was one in SDQ. The Palm, Smith and Wollensky, Gallaghers, Lawrys, Shula's, Capital Grill, all chains and all better than crocketts.

Porterhouse seemed to be short lived as "the steakhouse" in SD and didn't really impress me.

Meson De La Cava the food is inconsistent and never great but can be very good. However if you want something different that is the place. I always take people there as long after they forget the food they remember eating in a cave.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
I know this is too late for your needs but worth a mention an any regards. There is a small but cozy restaurant in the street where the Rodriguez Sanchez hospital is, opposite the main hospital entrance. I visited for the first time this week, and what a gem. No frills, just plain good food, served by the most friendliest waiter / barman. The place has so much charm not unlike the small restaurants / tapas bars you find in Madrid or other major cities.

They have a fixed (small) menu and a daily " special". I ate from the menu as did the wife, braised oxtails....delicious and the best I have ever had. Meal for 2 incl drink 1030 pesos !. Also a glass of peach schnapps when we finished from the house. 10/10

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Meson De La Cava the food is inconsistent and never great but can be very good. However if you want something different that is the place. I always take people there as long after they forget the food they remember eating in a cave.
It's an awesome experience with solid food & service...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We ate at the No.1 Buffet on Luperon Thursday night.

Nice to eat at a real Chinese buffet for a change, Good selection, well-prepared food, a good experience. We'll eat there again...

gas

Jul 28, 2013
So, where did you go?

First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded. You left me with an abundance of choices, an over-abundance, haha.

Plans were changed and tonight will be our last night dining out. Last night, we had dinner at my girlfriend's mother's house. I had fantastic San Cocho.

I should have defined "memorable" better. This will be my last night with my girlfriend until I return in a month or so. So, memorable mostly equals romantic. Neither of us are really into dancing -- I know, we should be banned from DR -- for that reason, I took El Conuco out of consideration though it seemed to get the loudest cheers.

We have eaten at Pat Palo (I forgot) and for whatever reason, she didn't like it. And lastly, I am not a steak aficianado and couldn't care less about steak. And Paco's, yikes!! It's a fun place to go and people watch, but it ends there.

So, with that in mind, perhaps someone can narrow this down.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
Villar Hermanos is very good, economical, and lively with many customers. It's on Independencia near Zona Colonial.

polancomariel

Aug 20, 2013
www.insatiable.wordpress.com
Dinner by the shore maybe ??

First, I'd like to thank everyone that responded. You left me with an abundance of choices, an over-abundance, haha.

Plans were changed and tonight will be our last night dining out. Last night, we had dinner at my girlfriend's mother's house. I had fantastic San Cocho.

I should have defined "memorable" better. This will be my last night with my girlfriend until I return in a month or so. So, memorable mostly equals romantic. Neither of us are really into dancing -- I know, we should be banned from DR -- for that reason, I took El Conuco out of consideration though it seemed to get the loudest cheers.

We have eaten at Pat Palo (I forgot) and for whatever reason, she didn't like it. And lastly, I am not a steak aficianado and couldn't care less about steak. And Paco's, yikes!! It's a fun place to go and people watch, but it ends there.

After that being said I think you?ll like one of the restaurants in Boca Chica right on the beach. Its beautiful and very romantic. The food is alright but I assure it will be memorable. I recommend Neptunos and Boca Marina (they are side by side basically but I prefer Neptunos). Check out the link, where you can see more info on it.

Let me know what you think if you go

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

In El Conuco, you don't need to dance. I have NEVER danced in my life and I had a good time in El Conuco. Other options that are not only steak (if you don't mind to spend a lot): Sofia or Don Pepe. I think together with Pate Palo they are the best restaurants in the city.

And for romantic (and expensive) there is this restaurant in Roberto Pastoriza, just passed churchill. It used to be Fellini, but there is a new administration and name. I haven't been there, but heard from someone who has, that it has an excellent, romantic atmosphere. The roof opens when you are in the middle of you dinner and before you know it you are eating below the stars.

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Meson de cava is a good choice. Ambiance is good, very interesting place. Food was good. I have taken quite a few of our out of town guests there and they enjoyed it. For El Conuco maybe it is just me but I never really liked it that much. The dancing was entertaining but I don't know I just never really got into it. But I do know it is pretty popular with the tourists.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do they have spare ribs or roast pork? I need another option beside fai chan.
No, but a ton of other items, including a grill with chicken, beef and pork.

Where is Fai Chan? Another buffet?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
No, but a ton of other items, including a grill with chicken, beef and pork.

Where is Fai Chan? Another buffet?

Fai Chan is on Lincoln just south of Lincoln Road. Sort of upscale fast food. It is nicer and better than the espreso places but not as formal as say mariscos de china in bella vista. We just order roast pork and white rice, mix pork and rice and add soy sauce.

Heck I ate at Fogo De Chao in sao paulo last night and after cutting pork ribs off the bone and mixing with rice, realized they had soy sauce. . . . so. . . .

gas

Jul 28, 2013
To put a period on this, we ate at El Conuco. It was a good choice and we had a nice time between the entertainment and food.

I think we were early for the entertainment to really get started. We got there at 7:30 and left at 8:30. We were the only guests when we arrived. At 8:30, the restaurant was about a third full. So, I really can't rave about the dancing since it was minimal, but it was a pleasant distraction. It sort of reminded me of a restaurant at Plaza de Espana that closed. I forget the name, but it was a Dominican buffet, nothing to rave about, but the entertainment was great.

The food was good though not great. I had the merengue chicken which someone recommended and it was flavorful. The wine service left something to be desired though. The head waiter or manager or whatever, tried talking me into ordering a bottle instead of 2 glasses. We never have more than 1 glass and politely said no, but he kept pushing. When I had asked what types of red and white they had by the glass, the response was Argentinian. It seems to be a rare occasion when the waiter knows the varietal of the glass of wine. And the glasses of red wine came to us chilled!

All in all though, we had a good time and I now have a list of places to go the next time I'm here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
LOL at the chilled red wine. It used to horrify me too but I've got to the point where I don't notice it anymore.