Santo Domingo - tourist destination?

Aug 19, 2004
Santo Domingo has never been a great tourist destination, one of the main reasons for that, tourists had no clue what to do or what was going on.

I'm glad to say, that has recently changed.

dr1guide | Santo Domingo | Dominican Republic

Ask your hotel for the printed version, its FREE and being distrubuted all over Santo Domingo.

Just seen this excellent site for the frst time. As you say people need to know what is available. Has any one thought of moving the Bellapart collection to a more accessible location or at least part move it - such as the Casa de Bastidas on Las Damas currently housing aChildren's Musuem

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
eliminiating the sewers

"The current sewers jutting out of the malec?n will be eliminated." Nals

How and where to? Would you post the entire plan for us ignorant locals who only seem to have access through the local press and our eyes_

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
"The current sewers jutting out of the malec?n will be eliminated." Nals

How and where to? Would you post the entire plan for us ignorant locals who only seem to have access through the local press and our eyes_

Annie we don't need to worry about it!

i see that Nals has taken his I'm full of crap pills this morning. The rats nest of wires on the poles may be a work in progress, but I'm not going to live long enough to see it completed. not sure my grand children will. because its not just the zona its all over the city! Hell I'm still waiting for the electricity fix that Balaguer promised.
Malecon restoration, park across the malecon from Eugenio Mar?a de Hostos park has been walled off for 2 years and looking past the fence there is nothing being done.
Sewage pipes, good luck with this one, from the Nepolitano to Lincoln ave they all leak. The other park area they are redoing around Gomez, were the little beach was. that was ok as long as you could dodge the toilet paper.(hum what happened to the artificial Island?)
They can't widen the Malecon as there is not enough room between the hotels and the water to include a median, an a parking lane(s) and maintain the current number of transit lanes, that get compressed to 1 each way on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights due to the parking on both sides of the street. which by the way is the worst impediment to transiting the city on any of the major thruways, these should all have parking banned!

according to the drivers manual
En medio de una intersedccion que esta prohibido "Estacionar o reparar un vehiculo" Common sense tells you this should not be done, here its in the manual del conductor. or then there is the one about not parking on the sidewalk.

I don't know if the glasses that Nals has are the rose colored ones or just beer goggles. Maybe just too much time in Connecticut.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
?pretty pictures

I guess that they are going to take the land for the extra lanes of traffic away from the green space that is there now... since clearly they are not going to take away the private property.... so that will make it a nice parking park, right:}

and they will cut down lots and lots of the old growth trees that are there now and replace them with those oh so tropical palms

I did not see anything about the sewers

or anything about pedestrian crossing lights but since there won"t be any park left, it won"t matter.

What they are doing here is really just building more road, right?

We already have two lanes in either direction but they will add two bike lanes and a center area full of what? for whom? and then the ever important parking areas.

bye bye trees.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
sorry, here it is

SEOPC CAASD - Canalizar los colectores pluviales y vertidos directos al mar de aguas servidas hacia planta de tratamiento.

What treatment plant? Where is it?

Jard?n Bot?nico Nacional - Vivero, para la sustituci?n de las plantas de palma cana, y recuperaci?n de la flora costera.

Is this not the current mayor of SD who took down so many of the old growth trees already and replaced them with palms? There was a wave of protests over this one and it stopped, did it not?

Or am I misreading?

Wonder how much of the IMF standby money went for this project.