Santo Domingo Traffic may get a little better

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I was recently in Santa Marta Colombia where they also have that in effect. If you are caught on the road on an off day you not only pay a stiff fine but they also impound your car so you have to pay tow and impound as well. Not many people test it resulting in more passable roads.

Have you ever driven past one of the impound lots here in SD? The one on Colombia at the old dog track has hundreds of vehicles. Every few years they bulldoze them into a big pile of scrap.

Have you seen how many cars are impounded for lack of Marbete?

Stiff fine (for them) but yet they still take the chance.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
More appropriately, lack of education.

In other societies perhaps, in the DR, there are tons of people with universities degrees; yet they make themselves part of the chaos. Its just a cultural thing, organized chaos is how the thrive.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
In other societies perhaps, in the DR, there are tons of people with universities degrees; yet they make themselves part of the chaos. Its just a cultural thing, organized chaos is how the thrive.

When I was a young kid, I went through drivers ed training in high school. No such thing exists here. I know tons of educated folks here who have never received drivers training. They learn how to get in a car and make it move, but don't have the slightest idea of what are rules of the road.

You can be smart in some things, and completely ignorant in others. I'd venture to say most educated persons here are ignorant when it comes to rules of driving, so .... lack of education.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
When I was a young kid, I went through drivers ed training in high school. No such thing exists here. I know tons of educated folks here who have never received drivers training. They learn how to get in a car and make it move, but don't have the slightest idea of what are rules of the road.

You can be smart in some things, and completely ignorant in others. I'd venture to say most educated persons here are ignorant when it comes to rules of driving, so .... lack of education.

Am with you, have met many "educated" Dominicans but the lack of manners is astonishing by the populace and even among those who have attended any schooling or even universities graduates.

Manners is something taught at home and passed over generations to generations.

Drivers Ed, ja; good luck with that in an island of where transporting newborns in a motorcycle is a fashion statement, although and to be fair, sometimes a person does whatever is necessary?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Have you ever driven past one of the impound lots here in SD? The one on Colombia at the old dog track has hundreds of vehicles. Every few years they bulldoze them into a big pile of scrap.

Have you seen how many cars are impounded for lack of Marbete?

Stiff fine (for them) but yet they still take the chance.

Yes I have but it wasn't that large. I was parked in the zona and got towed. I had to go get and pay the fine. Hey, if Dominicans want to be hard headed and drive when they are not supposed and then get the car impounded, so be it, less to fight with for the rest of us. One of the problems when they get impounded is that they have original fine, no proof of insurance, probably no license. Getting the vehicle out becomes a seriously expensive endeavor for them.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I have had numerous girls tell me that they "know how to drive." They say they had classes. I ask where was the instructor from, "he was Dominican" and respond with "el ciego ensenando ciego". - Not a sexist comment by the way, I just happen to know and converse with a lot more Dominican females. Driving on the road it is easy to see the men are NO better.