SANTO DOMINGO vs SANTIAGO

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I've never been to any of the "affluent" areas you speak of, unless you count passing thru Villa Olga down Duarte on my way to Moca. Abel has the trash collectors working 7 days a week all around the city and it is by far the cleanest city in the country and it really sucks he's not going to be our Mayor anymore.
Abel was an exemplary alcalde but he is no longer the mayor of STI and garbage cleanup seems to have been going downhill:

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Very easy answer; Business ! My Business is located in Santo Domingo and i have clients from every corner of the country. I don't know if it is culture or dominicans are just used to it, but they like to "vamos a la capital" to get things done. I could locate my business only 20 miles from Santo Domingo and i promise you that i would have to shut down within a month. NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM IS HERE ON LIVELONG VACATION. I hope i could answer your question.
It all starts from the Trujilo Era: centralizing the power in Santo Domingo so local power (caciques, big family names, major landowners) was diminished and forced everyone to do business in Santo Domingo. It wasn't until the 80s-90s that Santiago businesspeople moved away from that and started doing things beyond to be a mere operations branch for Capital.

And even today, the practice of "checks are signed in la Capital" still a thing for many big corporations and Gov institutions.

Reactions: Manuel01

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
My wife's cousins live in El rosal area of Santo Domingo Easte and it is very clean, but he niece lives in Alma Rosa and it is filthy. Most of Santiago is clean but yes there are some areas that aren't. This is true for most cities but garbage pickup in Santo Domingo seems pretty bad.
I typically refer to the DN when I refer to "the Capital". Santo Domingo Este is a whole other animal.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Very easy answer; Business ! My Business is located in Santo Domingo and i have clients from every corner of the country. I don't know if it is culture or dominicans are just used to it, but they like to "vamos a la capital" to get things done. I could locate my business only 20 miles from Santo Domingo and i promise you that i would have to shut down within a month. NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS FORUM IS HERE ON LIVELONG VACATION. I hope i could answer your question.
I like Santo Dom and sometimes visit Sosua. However if I stay in Sosua longer than a weekend I start to throw up in my mouth.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I much prefer Santiago over the capital. The only exception would be the ZC. I really like that place and its vibe. From what I have seen, traffic is comparable in both cities. However, Santiago is much cleaner. I actually followed a woman once and witnessed her tell her little kid to hold on to his trash until they could find a receptacle. Never seen in Boca Chica or the Capital.
totally agree about the colonial zone...........

Reactions: NanSanPedro

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
One has to learn "how" to drive in Santo Domingo. It is an art that is only acquired by years of observing other drivers.
Right you are JD......the smart people I observing were taking a uber or taxi... same as me........

Reactions: cavok

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I remember when Alma Rosa was a nice area many moons ago.
I used to live around the Cardenal Sancha school area, and despite the fact that many of the old houses have been substituted by apt. buildings, it still retains some of the vibe I used to remember and love.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I used to live around the Cardenal Sancha school area, and despite the fact that many of the old houses have been substituted by apt. buildings, it still retains some of the vibe I used to remember and love.
Alma Rosa becomes the Naco of SDE, one new Torre by another, and the prices are the same more or less. That's because the lots in Alma Rosa are all big, the constructors buy the old houses and build up there Appartments. In the 90s I've run a Colmado on calle Club de Leones, at those times there aren't many Buildings. times have changed a lot. I'm still living in SDE and it becomes my second home since 24 years.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Alma Rosa becomes the Naco of SDE, one new Torre by another, and the prices are the same more or less. That's because the lots in Alma Rosa are all big, the constructors buy the old houses and build up there Appartments. In the 90s I've run a Colmado on calle Club de Leones, at those times there aren't many Buildings. times have changed a lot. I'm still living in SDE and it becomes my second home since 24 years.
That shows how long it's been since I've visited Alma Rosa. The last time for me there were no towers.

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Just curious, are all of them "active" construction sites, or have some of them "stalled"? There sure is a lot of them.

Castro156

Oct 9, 2011
NEW YORK
Wow, I’m blown away by the amount of developments in that area.

It’s such a shame that I’ve completely turned away from that part of the capital believing that “everything cool” was in the Districto National and under the assumption that all of that side of the Capital was just to unsafe to venture out to and explore.

My 1st real experience in Domincan Republic was in fact in Santo Domingo Este, in Ensanche Ozama ( Avenida Sabana Lagra ). This was in 1984!

Long story short, my mom sent me to spend the entire summer at my uncles house there and I pretty much ventured all over the Capital by myself and with my cousins. We went to everywhere and I had such a great experience that I grew so much love for this little island.

Such a different country and times.

I need to revisit that area one day.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Look at this and you can see what's happen:
WOW!!!!! I had no idea. Man, that is unreal.

I know one thing, traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare there. the majority of the streets are not very wide.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Abel was an exemplary alcalde but he is no longer the mayor of STI and garbage cleanup seems to have been going downhill:

It’s early to see how the new municipal authorities treat Santisgo, but lets remember that when Abel Martínez became mayor Santiago was a dump and he cleaned it up. Why the same csn’t be done now? The difference is that Santiago has been very clean for quite a few years and in the election time the garbage situation deteriorated. Thst is a different scenario from the Santiago Abel Martínez received which seems was greatly oeft to its own devices of Serulle!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Alma Tosa and Ozama are on their way to become the Polígono Central of SDE. Give it some time. Hopefully they will pick a street or two that traverses those sectors and turn into pedestrian streets like it was done to El Conde in SD, but including a row or two of trees that in a few years are nice and big and produce much needed shade. Every few meters along those pedestrianized streets have a sculture or work of art in mosaics by a Dominican painter/sculpturist, preferably from SDE. Nice unique light fixture to identify those roads, a few benches up and down the length of the road. Then make those roads entirely commercial and if highrises are built, the lowest floor facing the street should be commercial and the rest apartments/parking. Some architectural control with time will also enhance these streets to prevent ugly concrete boxes built in the future.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
How much of those IMF prestamos the Senate approves every 3 months is funnelled into these projects? Would be interesting to know who the real owners/investors are. 🤔
If the DR didn’t have a relatively fast growing economy, then it would really be a baffled. I think sometimes people don’t think what can be expected of a place that has seen fast economic growth for quite a few years. Plus, the diaspora is also playing an important role in purchasing Dominican real estate, particularly away from the tourist zones where generally gring@s don’t buy.

A few weeks ago I heard someone commenting that the DR is now a place where you can’t tell who has money and who doesn’t by their last names, as it was the case for a very long time. There is some from not so nice activities, but most is simply the effect of sustained economic growth and a growing diaspora that generally retains an interest in the DR. The days of a new middle class family with the last name Rodríguez can’t be deciphered by the typical question from older folks “they are of the Rodríguez from Santiago or Santo Domingo?” Uh, no; they are the Rodríguez from Nagua and they have never dealt with drugs, scams, etc. Never heard of those Rodríguez because the DR is becoming the type of place where money isn’t concentrated in judt a few families with household names and not related to illicit activities either.

Changes in the DR is nothing new. It wasn’t that long when SD was the largest city and it was simply a town, when most people lived in the countryside, when most people lived in wooden homes, etc. Very different from today’s DR.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
WOW!!!!! I had no idea. Man, that is unreal.

I know one thing, traffic is going to be an absolute nightmare there. the majority of the streets are not very wide.
SDE is already chaotic, especially in that area. As being a satellite city to DN and now the biggest municipality in the DR (1.1 million, 2023 Census) the growth has been skyrocketing over the last 10 years.

From Danilo to Abinader, now the plans are to extend the Metro to the Airport, through all the old San Isidro highway/Av Ecologica.

And adding a 5th bridge next to Puente Bosch from Puerto Rico st in Alma Rosa to Dowtown SDQ.