• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Santo Domingo:World Class City

J

Jim Hinsch

Re:Henry, educate yourself

You are correct, there are some very wealthy people in the Dominican Republic, compared to the average visiting gringo, who in turn, is wealthy next to the average Dominican. Many people don't realize that despite the poverty throughout the Dominican Republic, there is also a very wealthy minority subculture.

Fancy cars, big houses, fine dining, and an entire "class" of people separate from the common Dominican.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:No I got parachuted!

Sorry for you. I did not get deported.

I got a nice parachute package from the company I worked for for an amount that keeps me living like a king in Santo Domingo, plus I got a US$20,000 Consultant Fee additional for a month without having to do any consulting at all, and eight months of unemployment payments of $1200 a month paid by the City of Chicago, which I used to spend everyday at the Oak Street Beach right accross from my Apartment on Oak Street sitting in a Chaise Lounge drinking cocktails and watching the beatiful girls pass me by waiting for my furniture and car to be shipped to santo Domingo and for my newly purchased apartment to be finished.

And, beginning on 2002 I will begin to get a very nice amount for life from the same company private pension plan(forced early retirement)

Its that what you were curious to know?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:Because I lived in Chicago!

If you know so much about Chicago, tell me, based on my address at 111 East Chestnut, what supermarkets are near me. What major TV station is right accross from my building. What world famous university is one blaock away?

What is the S curve on Lake Shore Drive? What is Wells Street famous for? What famous Dominican personality owns an apartment at Water Tower Place? What is the name of the tall skycraper facing Oak Street Beach where Oprah lives? What is the name of the park facing Lake Shore Drive north of North Avenue? What is the largest park in Chicago? Tell me three famous boutiques of International designers on Oak Street? What famous boutiques are inside the Bloomingdales Dept, Store on Michigan Ave.? What famous Chicago Church is onMichigan Avenue and Chestnut Street.

If you can answer most of these questions publicly, then I will say you know something about Chicago. However, being from Illinois means nothing. Remember, there is Illinois and there is Chicago. It is two different things. Chicago is Chicago. Everything outside of that are just small little unimportant towns and lots of corn. And try not to know much about other parts of Illinois, because I know the entire state very well.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:Jim you really know your stuff! *DC*

J

Jim Hinsch

I lived in Chicago twice (the last time at the corner of Irving Park and Lakeshore, 53rd floor overlooking Wrigley Field), but I can't answer any of those questions.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:Jim Hinsch-Irving Park & LSD

Thanks for bringing good memories. Thats a nice area of town close to the Park. Could you see the Cub games from there? Not that at altitude you could see the details, because from my 47th. floor place you could hardly see people.

I used to bike all the way from Oak St. to Irving Park along the LSD bike path on the shore. It was a wonderful experience. Chicago is really a classy town. To me is the best city in America, except for its weather. Could you imagine a city like Chicago in a caribbean setting?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Doug just for you!

Doug I have nothing against Canadians or Americans. If you go back to where this whole thing started, you will notice that I was not the aggresor. I began by writing a segment about what a world class city is in response to someone who did not accept my description of Santo Domingo as one.

In that segment there was nothing derogatory about any country. However, replies began to come from people from Toronto and apparent foreigners. I resent it the put downs of Santo Domingo, especially from people who make their living from the Dominican Republic or live in it. I believe that if you are a foreigner and you live here, you should not degrade this country. You can critize its government, a particular problem you are having, or situations that affect you. But when you put down a city the way some people have done it, it deserves a tough response.

I particularly have a disdain for those critics who live in their foreign countries and from there, they spend hundreds of hours in a computer attacking this tiny little poor country, which to them is so insignificant, so dirty, so unsophisticated, and yet it looms so big in their hearts.

What drives all these people? What is their intention? Why dedicate so much time to a little spot in the world map that you dislike so much sitting in a computer putting down our women(which for them are all prostitutes)our cities, our beaches,our customs and the decisions we make by ourselves?

Do you know the answer? And if they live here. Shame on themselves. They should just pack up and leave. We like it here.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re:Jim Hinsch-Irving Park & LSD

"Could you see the Cub games from there?"

My unit faced north, so no.

"Could you imagine a city like Chicago in a caribbean setting?"

Rio de Janeiro. More like NYC against the coast of Florida.

beach_panoramic.jpg

R

Ralph

Trio Cafe

That place is full of snobby, wanna be Dominicans. It is also very racist. Most of the Dominicans there are not Morenas.
Some "rich" Dominican dude, dumped his drink and threatened to break the glass over my face. My wife pulled the glass out of his sorry little hands and stone cold dissed him.

I would pay a ton of money to have a picture of the sorry look on his face when he was suddenly without a weapon, having been disarmed by a 5'1" tall mujere.

How did it all start? Becuase he had to make rude "sexual" comments about my wife and her friends as they left the ladies room. Real class in that place. Truth is, if he drove a friggin Diablo, he wouldn't stand a chance with those girls.

Not because of money, because of class, which he had none of.

J

jim

fred the idiot

i'm getting tired of listening to you big mouth canadians,who the hell do you people think you are?why don't you just stay up there in your frozen little hell hole,and keep to yourselfs,as far as dominican women go, for the most part only the experienced ones go out with foreighners. and keep out of Massachusetts......jim

T

Tom F.

Re:No I got parachuted!

Scamming out on unemployment insurance are you. Better check the statue of limitations before you make that public.

T

Tom F.

Looks to me that you were between Northwestern and University of Chicago after checking it out on the map. Maybe WGN who knows. I haven't lived in Illinios for 14 years and I never lived near Chicago but 2 hours south. My mother and old girlfriend live in the suburbs and can tell you about those places. Went downtown to meet friends, go the Lincoln and Grant parks, a few conferences, go to a restraunt and some concerts. I'm not great with names and don't hang around in the weathly areas too much. I don't go to boutiques or department stores, so you got me there. There are also a lot of soybeans in Central Illinois. Don't make too much fun of food producers, we all have to eat.

T

Tom F.

I almost forgot about going to Wrigley Field and cheering againg the Cubs. Since I'm a Cardinal fan it is mandatory.

T

Tom F.

Re: It's like this....

I just wanted to make a point. I will leave it there.

D

Doug

I think Chi-town is a fantastic city, biggest trade center in the U.S.A. with the McCormick center right downtown, also Navy Pier is a great place for our kids, can pull right up on a boat if you want. Mike Jordan has a great rest. and Nike town is wild. But would I want to live there.....No. I remember BlackHawk games when you got out of the stadium you better get right to your car, you were in one of the worst sections of town, or close to it, or maybe there is a lot worse that I'm not aware of. But every city is maybe paradis for one and not for the other. Now D.R. I love the whole countrie, been all over it almost, but to say it has all the ammenities that the big cities in the U.S. and Canada have.....they don't. But because of that I don't look down upon the countrie, it is just a little behind and rightfully so. To say that Toronto is as far advanced as Hongkong in electronics it's not, or even to say that Canada has the work ethic that the Metropolis's of Asia....no we don't. What I'm trying to say is that the D.R. is a wonderful countrie for its own reasons and world class is not one of them!