Satellite TV Service

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
From a quick look: The different receivers vary in that one can be used to feed two TVs with different programs, another feeds two TVs and can record video for later playback. One is a single TV with video recorder and the fourth is just a receiver that feeds one TV.

So you have to decide if you want to feed one or two TVs and if you want a video recorder capability and then select that model of receiver.

So, if I have 3 tv's I will need 2 receivers. I guess that would leave me room for a 4th if desired.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Ultimately I would like 3 tv's to work independent of each other with everything Dish has to offer including all the HD programming. I guess to start I would be to have the 2 receivers with HD capability sent here and then let the games begin. I would leave the rest to the professionals ????? here that would finish the project. Maybe that would be the challenge. LOL

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If you have the space for a 12 foot dish and want DirecTV, then you could do that. Is there that much difference between DISH Network's' and DirecTVs programming?

Being told that a six-footer would be enough to pull the signal.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I know for sure you can get Dish's satellites 110 and 119 on one 2 meter dish holding two LNBs. I don't have experience with the HD channels on 61.5, but that should work with a second smaller dish with one LNB about 4 feet in size if you can find one that size.

Thats the set up I have, I pick up three satellites with two dishes. The problem I have, is that Nfusion is down, but if you get a US legal system, you would be fine.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Is it possible to just bring the HD Dish and receiver from the US and install and orient it down there to Dish or Direct TV ?

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Is it possible to just bring the HD Dish and receiver from the US and install and orient it down there to Dish or Direct TV ?

Yes, as long as they think the service is in the U.S....
I am doing that right now with my son. It is set up in his house and he is shipping me the receivers here. The dishes and lnbs are available here.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
The HD dishes and LNBs are available ? I only need the one here not 2 or 3 or.. as discussed previously.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The HD dishes and LNBs are available ? I only need the one here not 2 or 3 or.. as discussed previously.

I can't give you an answer on that yet. When I receive the HD receivers I will do my best to get whatever is available, at whatever cost. I was told that it is possible to get HD with another dish. I'll post all the results and install contact info when finished. I expect in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
There are no unique dishes or LNBs for HD programming. If you can get SD programs with the equipment, you can also get the HD programs from the same satellite that you are authorized to receive.

It is the receiver and your TV that need to be "HD".

Excellent information, thank you

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
Thanks waytogo. I look forward to reading about the fruits of your labors.

Thanks windeguy. I would then surmise I could just bring my HD receiver and HDTV and install a local dish.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My son just called and told me that the Dish receivers require caller I.D. subscription with local phone company and that phone line must be connected to receiver. I was going to have him send me Model Duo Vip 222K. I'm not interested in recording.
My question is this, If I hook up to phones lines here (if necessary), will Dish see this back in the states, or is this just for ordering Pay per view which I wouldn't do.
He is changing one of our private schools over from cable to Dish just for my needs here so problems for me he doesn't need.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
My son just called and told me that the Dish receivers require caller I.D. subscription with local phone company and that phone line must be connected to receiver. I was going to have him send me Model Duo Vip 222K. I'm not interested in recording.
My question is this, If I hook up to phones lines here (if necessary), will Dish see this back in the states, or is this just for ordering Pay per view which I wouldn't do.
He is changing one of our private schools over from cable to Dish just for my needs here so problems for me he doesn't need.

When I signed up for Dish I told them that I did not want the phone hooked up to the receiver. They charged me $5 more a month and that resolved the issue.
As to getting a DVR, I'd recommend it. When not on Daylight Savings Time the east coast shows are one hour 'late'. But if you don't mind staying up until midnight to see the 11PM news, then don't bother.

Feb 7, 2007
I suggest you go for the DISH FLEX account, no long term contracts and rates are the same. You buy a single or dual tuner receiver upfront, do your own installation, activate over the phone and pay with a debit/credit card (even DR prepaid VISA). You do not have to have the phone line connected.