Say it ain't so, Big Papi

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Never

Will they ever nab Roger Clemens?
Although, with the way things are going for the MFY's this year, who's to say?

But really, the PR on that would be so epically bad....MLB would NEVER allow such a thing to happen. Truth is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills (at least not these bills).

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Although, with the way things are going for the MFY's this year, who's to say?

But really, the PR on that would be so epically bad....MLB would NEVER allow such a thing to happen. Truth is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills (at least not these bills).

I believe it.

GringaRubia

Sep 9, 2006
""I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

I wonder if he really called it "The Dominican". Dominican what???? hahah

Yes, he calls his country that, sometimes...I have heard him say that.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My guess

Yes, he calls his country that, sometimes...I have heard him say that.
I never really understood the detriment of just saying the "Dominican", and I'd imagine around a clubhouse that term is used widely, he's probably picked up the bad habit himself.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i'm sure every GNC in the DR was helping "Big Sloppy"....just kidding...

ElNegrote

Jul 31, 2007
When will they all come out of the anabolic closet? Clemens, Jeter, A-Rod, Nolan Ryan, Pujols, Soriano, Pudge, Bagwell, Sosa, Big Papi...

Please don't malign players like Pujols, Soriano, Jeter, Manny, and yes, Stray-Rod (I'm going to defend him). I hope Big Papi didn't roid up, though I wouldn't hold it against him if he did as a young player but wasn't aware of it.

Ryan pitched well before the era of steroids, and was a phenom even in his youth (though he lacked the control that eventually helped him win more than 300 games). If you include Ryan, are you also going to include Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal (El Dandy Dominicano!), Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Jim Palmer, and some of the other great pitchers of the 1960s and 1970s? They weren't using steroids in the least.

I don't think Clemens was roiding up either, just as Maddox and Glavine didn't, nor did Pedrito (Mart?nez). Nor CC Sabathia, Jake Peavy, Francisco Carmono, and some of the most talented younger pitchers. They have a GIFT.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I agree with you that people need to stop broadly painting the canvas where everyone is guilty.

Here's the problem, MLB, by sitting quiet, knowing and watching it all go on, sanctioned the steroid era. Some people partook, some didn't. Bud Selig, biggest tool in major sports, went crazy taking photos with Mcguire and Sosa, yet disses Bonds now. Canseco, in hindsight, wasn't that far off the mark. Now was he? Takes a user to know one.

Another point, wasn't amphetamines widely used amongst players throughout the 50s , 60s, and 70s? I've read several stories over the past few months during this Bonds HR chase where that isn't even disputed. Except there were no tests. In today's world, it would be illegal. If people are going to suddenly get righteous about steroids now, it's hypocritical to ignore those speed users then.

For the record, I don't think Jeter, Pujols, Ichiro, Soriano, Manny, A-Rod, Vlad, Griffey Jr, Peavy, Pedro, Glavine, Maddox, Sabathia, etc are/were roiding it up.

Some that I have to really question include: Clemens, Miguel Tejada, Nomar, Luis Gonzalez, Todd Helton, Mike Hampton, Ivan Rodriguez, Hank Blalock, etc. Check their stats since 2003. Just my own opinion.

Please don't malign players like Pujols, Soriano, Jeter, Manny, and yes, Stray-Rod (I'm going to defend him). I hope Big Papi didn't roid up, though I wouldn't hold it against him if he did as a young player but wasn't aware of it.

Ryan pitched well before the era of steroids, and was a phenom even in his youth (though he lacked the control that eventually helped him win more than 300 games). If you include Ryan, are you also going to include Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Juan Marichal (El Dandy Dominicano!), Tom Seaver, Steve Carlton, Jim Palmer, and some of the other great pitchers of the 1960s and 1970s? They weren't using steroids in the least.

I don't think Clemens was roiding up either, just as Maddox and Glavine didn't, nor did Pedrito (Mart?nez). Nor CC Sabathia, Jake Peavy, Francisco Carmono, and some of the most talented younger pitchers. They have a GIFT.

Sep 19, 2005
tone....were the amphetimines supposed to make the player BETTER????

or was it just drug use like a movie star abusing drugs????

can they make a 500 career home run guy out of a 200 career homer runner?

bob

Jan 5, 2006
Amphetamines and steroids (anabolic steroids, HGH, etc.) are totally different issues. The first were widely used by MLB players since anyone can remember. Steroids on the other hand, did not become a noticeable, widespread problem until the mid to late 80s.

Personally, I would not be surprised by any MLB player being outed as a steroid user; even those with the squeekiest clean of images. Some examples of users are easily noticeable; just look at players who had abnormaly great performances on the year prior to them becoming free agents. ;) And for those who are naive enough to think that this joke of a testing program in MLB will catch most users, think again! Performance enhancing drugs are a huge, worldwide illicit operation, with well funded, highly educated and capable scientists who are always looking to stay a step ahead of the latest testing procedures. If someone wants to increase their athletic performance and they look hard enough, they will always find a way to beat the system.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
tone....were the amphetimines supposed to make the player BETTER????

or was it just drug use like a movie star abusing drugs????

can they make a 500 career home run guy out of a 200 career homer runner?

bob

Kinda like steroids in that they artificially covered up for players' weaknesses. Kinda like your body is tired and beaten up, and you need a "boost." Under natural circumstances, many athletes don't perform the same if their bodies are worn down and they can't naturally generate the energy needed for peak performance. Would this not be considered a "performance enhancer?"

For example, think of the WWE and how wrestlers' bodies recuperate so fast after all the dives those dudes try and miss. Like baseball players, these guys are "working" and travelling almost everyday. Their bodies, left alone, are a wreck, no matter the training.

The 200 career HR guy might make it to 250-300. If he's very skilled and sustains usage, maybe more. A lot of other things would play into consideration as well, such as ballpark size, the effect of the lowering of the mound.

However, my real point was that people gloss over the fact that there were performance enhancers in baseball before steroids. Yet now they want to be righteous.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Amphetamines and steroids (anabolic steroids, HGH, etc.) are totally different issues.
Not really since both were/are taken as performance enhancers for the purpose of gaining an advantage.

Personally, I would not be surprised by any MLB player being outed as a steroid user; even those with the squeekiest clean of images. Some examples of users are easily noticeable; just look at players who had abnormaly great performances on the year prior to them becoming free agents. ;) And for those who are naive enough to think that this joke of a testing program in MLB will catch most users, think again! Performance enhancing drugs are a huge, worldwide illicit operation, with well funded, highly educated and capable scientists who are always looking to stay a step ahead of the latest testing procedures. If someone wants to increase their athletic performance and they look hard enough, they will always find a way to beat the system.

100% agree.

Want to see a prime example of an honest free agent to be in 2007, check out Andruw Jones' season. LOL!!! No sudden Todd Helton, Ken Caminiti, Mike Hampton, Javier Lopez, Brady Anderson, Adrian Beltre free agent year stat spikes.