Say It Aint So....

J

Joachim

Re: You just don't get it

Sorry buddy that saying is only for French Canadians, who are know for not tipping due to the fact that in Quebec the tip is included in the bill. Those of us who live in Ontario are generous tippers.

I worked for an export company for many years, speak fluent Spanish and this was the reason that I was hired. I have visited and lived in many latin american countries. So I dont need a lesson in how to deal with latin americans.

How well can you communicate in Spanish? If you do not plan on running a business, the obviously you are going to do like we said, otherwise how will you support yourself?

I am Canadian but was part of a joint military exchange between the US and Canadian military stationed at Fort Bragg.

I have seen this type of attitude before, where ex military personell think that they are invincible. Being stationed in Latin American surrounded by military and living their with no support mechanizm is a completely different kettle of fish.

By the way we Canadians too have sent our reporters to the US and asked Americans if they heard about Canadas new 24 hour clock. The reply, Its about time Canada adopted a 24 hour clock.

J

Joachim

Re: Don't say we told you so!

Even my wife who is Dominican went to buy fish, shrimp and lobster for her famous Pasta con mariscos. She caught the person selling the fish putting a rock in the bag before he put it on the scale. AND SHE IS DOMINICAN!! So imagine what would happen in a normal business transaction.

B

Bob Ridenour

I guess all the Canadians that visit Florida must be French Canadians then cause all of them are too cheap to tip. There you go not listening again. For the last time.....I'm not starting a business. What can't you get about that. You're full of shit about the military thing, don't know what you're talking about. Seems you are now familiar with U.S. military ops, Harley's and just about every other subject a person dares mention. You are a crock. I said Special Operations, sometimes clandestine, on our own, not surrounded by the military machine. Not invincible, just lived by common sense, a trait which you obviously don't possess. I'm ending this conversation and will go home and talk to the dog. He understands and comprehends English a lot better than you do. I didn't know I was trying to give you a lesson dealing with Latin Americans, and by the way, I'm not your buddy.

J

Joachim

Calling you my buddy is a nice way of laughing at a guy like you. Military, special ops, to me its all the same thing.

I hope the Dominicans eat you alive.

J

Joachim

Here is what you said in your post:
"After spending many years in the U.S. Military in Special Operations". copied right from your post. I can read very well. I guess special operations is not part of the US military.

I simply gave some good advice to the uninitiated about the DR, you started by insulting Canadians, I have many friends who are Americans and great people, glad that they are not like you.

I give you 3-4 months and you will be right back in the US.

A

azb

BobR, save your energies!

BobR,
Do yourself a favor, just put a stop to this message chain. Its not getting anywhere. These people that you are talking to are just some bunch of losers who can't seem to grasp that you are coming here to live a life and not to open up a business to become rich. If they can't seem to undestand the very first thing that you had mentioned in your first post then just imagine how knowledgable they are in other issues. One guy was here in DR when he was 25 yrs old and now lives in toronto. Other expert works in his grandpa's plantation in a ghost town called mao.
From what I see is that these 2 are so convinced that they know it all that they refuse to listen and just talk talk talk. All they do is to sit by the computer all day and read posts written by other people then they can only do is to disagree with them.
Obviously they had failed in their quest to make a better living in DR (except for the Onions & carrots who still lives under the protection of family and claims to know it all). Now these people would hate to see someone come here and live up to their dreams without having to break their rear ends.
Not everyone has to break their rear ends to live well. Of-course if you open up a bar in boca chica and serve the same cuba libre and T shirts to tourists as everyone else is selling then what do you expect? You really expect to make a living doing that when every jose, carlos and juan doing the same thing?
Some times these guy just don't get it. I see so many foreigners opening up the same type bars, one next to the other, in longbeach and then complain the business is slow. Of course the business is slow when everyone else is selling the same crap. There aren't enough customers to divide amongst all.
In your case, you will not be doing business here so you have alot less to worry about.
man, just ride your harley and keep posting messages here on DR1 on how much you are enjoyng your life in DR...just to burn up those fake canadians wannabees in toronto.
Just for all of you people who claim DR to be such a hell-hole; tomorrow I will be going to Rio san juan to stay the weekend in bahia principe resort with a buddy and a hot 22 yrs old girl. The whole weekend (all inclusive) will cost me only about 120 dollars(deal). I will sure think of you people (in toronto, cutting grass and listening to your wives bitch at you) while I enjoy my cuba libre and the sunshine with my new babe.
I guess you're right, life can be a little hectic sometimes here in DR, so hard to make up your mind on what to do on the weekend... beach or the mountains...maybe a party at the pool with babes.... hahahahah?

J

Joachim

Re: BobR, save your energies!

Like to see how you will support yourself? Loosers are people who go around insulting others, not knowing their background or real life experiences, nobody gives a damm whether you live in the DR or not.

Plus I mentioned many times that I would go to the DR again in a flash, but my priorities have changed.

For people who are only interested in chasing women, going to the beach, enjoying the sun, sure its great. Just dont run out of money.

O

Onions and carrots

Mao is a quaint farming community

Mao is a quaint farming community with fresh air unlike the filth and smog of the Capital. People are friendly when they aren't trying to scam you.There is nothing better than working together as a family to arrive at a common goal ,that being the preservation of the family. Life is stress free. I miss Mao and my family since I've been in this boring city of Miami for the last couple of weeks.Yet we must all do our part for the family. Agriculture is tough especially with world commodity prices at historical lows.

B

Bob Saunders

I suggest you go to the Dominican Embassy website in Washington DC or the Consulate website in New York City for information. As a Canadian married to a Dominican I have been told that it is much easier if your married to a Dominicana to get residency. There are several relocation services that put out books that answer almost every question you have about moving, investing...etc in the DR. Ascott investments, is one i think. At $30-50 for a book that will steer you straight without having any personality clashes with you,it is good value for your money. I'm sure that you do what you'll do regardless of the advice given to you. Most of the people trying to answer your questions were trying to give you good advice, comes across wrong I guess. By the way, I have done 6 months in Honduras, spent some time in Mexico, Belize, Panama and I'd take the DR anytime. Good luck in finding the information you seek.

A

Anny Mosity

azb I am right here in POP!

You left me out. I am not a loser who went back to Canada or a farmer in Mao. I have been living and prospering right here in Puerto Plata for 12 years. I am also not miserable. In fact I have never been happier. I also have not been ripped off by Dominicans or foreigners here, but I know hundreds who have.
I never said to anyone not to come here, only that buying a house or importing a Harley may be costly. Also that getting a residencia may not be worth the hassle.

My opinions were based on hundreds of cases of expats coming here and losing some or all their money on real estate and/or tring to import their vehicles instead of buying one here.

What is it with US military personnel? They seem to be ready to fight anyone including would be friends trying to give them heartfelt advice. I will never bother again. Most of my friends are American expats here. Thank God they aren't like Bob Urhead.

Bob, there are lots of Real Estate agents here who will gladly help you find your dream house. There are also lots of contractors who will build one for you. There are lots of "buscones" at customs who will help you get your Harley out.
There are lots of lawyers who will get your residencia for you.

All the lawyers, Real Estate agents and customs officilas here as honest as the day is long. Trust them, not me or any Dominican on this board. You will have lots of friends when you get here. Good luck!

J

Joachim

Re: azb I am right here in POP!

I stated many times the reason that I returned to Canada. Calling me a looser without knowing me personally is wrong.

I started out on this board by giving my experiences to other, so that they can learn and hopefully not make the same mistakes, I did not come here to be insulted.

I love the DR and would stay there if my situation was different.

I have never been ripped of by Dominicans either, maybe over charged by a moto concho but not much else.

I am glad to hear that you are prospering in Puerto Plata most people would envy you.

Too people who wish to go to the DR and do whatever its simply, in unknow waters tread carefully.