Scared to fly

sugargotthis

Mar 24, 2008
Goodmorning! I just need some advice on what I can do to enjoy my flight without biting my nails or having to request a barf bag every 15 minutes. I had a friend to refuses to fly on airplanes sine her terrible expierence. Its not the first time I fly, although I hate to, but going to D.R. in 2 weeks. I bite on my blanket and keep my eyes away from the window. What can I do to stop this? Should I get drunk? Sleeping pill? anything?

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Hi,

I can be an anxious flyer at the best of times but I don't let it stop me from taking holidays. Things I do to help the situation is request an aisle seat, I hate to feel squashed between people. This way I can get up and stretch without bothering anyone next to me. If you can get a bulk head seat or one in the emergency exit aisle even better for leg room.

Take a gravol or dramamine 30 minutes before take of. This helps with nausea and nerves and will make you drowsy. Take a good book with you, it takes your mind of things and makes the flight go quicker. If the flight offers a movie, watch it. I would not recommend alcohol, will just upset your stomach more and the altitude makes you feel light headed. Try and keep cool, don't wear heavy clothing and use the air vent above your seat.

Just think about what you have to look forward to when you arrive at your destination and you'll be fine.

curlyq

J

John Evans

hypnotism works for some people - dont blame me if you shout rude things everytime someone says banana though

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
best way to eliminate fear of flying is to come here in a yola once.
AZB

sugargotthis

Mar 24, 2008
Yea, thanks I hope this all works! I have this thing where i picture an accident. When I first walk inside I look at the plane on the outside and see It on fire. Its so wierd!! I can't help it. I feel so unsafe. I dont even have breakfast, Or even a snack on the airplane.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Yea, thanks I hope this all works! I have this thing where i picture an accident. When I first walk inside I look at the plane on the outside and see It on fire. Its so wierd!! I can't help it. I feel so unsafe. I dont even have breakfast, Or even a snack on the airplane.

Think Happy Thoughts!!

don't visualize plane crashes!! visualize palm trees...the Ocean!!

I hate flying too...but I take a gravol and pass right out, usually wake up 1/2 hr before landing!! I LOVE IT!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I, too, hate flying because I feel so out of control with my life hanging in the balance. I didn't used to mind it but for some reason the past four years it has gotten worse - especially during take off. Every time around take off I say to myself this is the last time I am getting on a plane but by the time I reach a cruising altitude I usually calm down to normal (until there is heavy turbulence). Every time I land I feel so thankful and surprised to be alive!

Luckily, most of my flights to DR have been pretty smooth.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Think of it as a big bus lol I am pretty sure more accidents happen on the ground than in the air.

I think curly q gave some good suggestions for you. Definatly watch the movie as allows some time to go by :)

Good luck and you'll be fine, I've never had any problems flying to the DR :)

sugargotthis

Mar 24, 2008
Yes, Chris NJ, when I feel turbulance I picture to be in a car going over a street with pot holes all over, But the -ding- sound comes on to buckle up and I want to run and hug someone. I think my best bet is to take the Gravol 1/2 before departure time. I get these butterflies in my stomach and think the worst. Hopefully the Gravol will knock me out cold. Thanks!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
oh and with the gravol...ummmm bring a napkin!! i never drool...but gravol, or just the upright nap...doesnt work for for me!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why be afraid? The airlines have a perfect record.

They've never left anyone up there yet. :bunny:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Think Happy Thoughts!!

don't visualize plane crashes!! visualize palm trees...the Ocean!!

I hate flying too...but I take a gravol and pass right out, usually wake up 1/2 hr before landing!! I LOVE IT!

good idea, if the plane goes down I don't want to know. :ermm:

where do u buy this gravol you speak of? :)

Why be afraid? The airlines have a perfect record.
They've never left anyone up there yet.

LMAO

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I, too, hate flying because I feel so out of control with my life hanging in the balance. I didn't used to mind it but for some reason the past four years it has gotten worse - especially during take off. Every time around take off I say to myself this is the last time I am getting on a plane but by the time I reach a cruising altitude I usually calm down to normal (until there is heavy turbulence). Every time I land I feel so thankful and surprised to be alive!
Luckily, most of my flights to DR have been pretty smooth.

I think all Dominicans feel the same, THAT'S WHY THEY ALL BREAK INTO APPLAUSE when the plane lands. :bunny::laugh::laugh:

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I also used to have a fear of flying as I could not really comprehend what holds that great big metal object full of people in the air.... however I looked at the statistics regarding road accidents and decided I have to be much safer in the air than on the ground - it helped me loads.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Gravol is available over the counter in drug stores in Canada. If you can't find that Dramamine is the same thing and is available is the US.

curlyq

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Gravol is available over the counter in drug stores in Canada. If you can't find that Dramamine is the same thing and is available is the US.

curlyq
But be sure that it agrees with you.
My nephew took it recently to combat seasickness on the catamaran tour and got so ill that he thought he was going to die.
The boat pulled up to a beach and dumped him there and some wonderful tourists came to his aid and brought him over here.
I don't know how common that reaction is, but you wouldn't want to be that way and stuck on an airplane.
It wouldn't hurt to take one as a test first, before the flight.