Screwed By Verizon

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks for the symantic clarification---

Mondongo;

Thank you very much for clearing up my misinterpretation of the kbps and kb/s definitions. I have been laboring under a false interpretation all these years.
Guess old age is finally catching up with me.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Thanks for the semantic clarification---

Mondongo;

Thank you very much for clearing up my misinterpretation of the kbps and kb/s definitions. I have been laboring under a false interpretation all these years.
Guess old age is finally catching up with me.

Texas Bill

edited to correct spelling---TB

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Squat said:
Satellite would be an option, but the service is terrible, comparated to flash.

That depends completely on what service you are connected (direcway,Starband,Telenor?) and who in stalled the hardware and if they are using the correct materials
The most common problem in the DR is that they use a TV-dish for Satellite Internet, if that was an option they would not call it a TV dish, and mostly locally made, not blessed with any knowledge about the difference in dishes.

Satellite Internet can be very good and fast, it is just that you get what you pay for.

Arjan

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
mondongo said:
The reason for the confusion lies in the naming convention.
1. modems tend to advertise speed in kilo bits per second: kb/s
2. when your browser downloads a file, it normally uses kilo Bytes per second: KB/s

3. there are 8 bits in 1 byte, so the maximum transfer rate your browser will show for a 56K modem is 7KB/s.
4. the maximum your browser will show for a 256K DSL is 32KB/s.

The confusion just boils down to naming conventions and arithmetic.

And than we have also terms as:
Accepted speed: (minumum speed acceptable for a connection)
Maximum speed: (nice name for something that "could be")
Current speed: the speed measured at a this moment
Compressed speed: the speed of a compressed ascii file with nothing in it
Uncompressed speed: the speed of the same file without compression
Max Distance: The longest wired distance between you and the digital connection main point. If you live further away (need more cable) than you speed will drop quickly
Your Maximum speed is still 256, but your current speed can be 100 or lower.

*just look at the dasboard of a car, the meter can go up to 200 miles, did you ever got that speed (downhill maybe), but it looks really fast*

I know that some providers (G3-Sat-DSL) make a handy use of those terms just to confuse the client.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I agree completely with what Dunhill says here. Most problems with satellite installations are sub-standard components and sub-standard installations. Yes, you get what you pay for...

DunHill said:
That depends completely on what service you are connected (direcway,Starband,Telenor?) and who in stalled the hardware and if they are using the correct materials
The most common problem in the DR is that they use a TV-dish for Satellite Internet, if that was an option they would not call it a TV dish, and mostly locally made, not blessed with any knowledge about the difference in dishes.

Satellite Internet can be very good and fast, it is just that you get what you pay for.

Arjan

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
TB, for the longest time I also thought I was getting "screwed" by my ISP...until someone enlightnened me a while ago.

DH, providers are more than glad to keep us customers as confused as possible....

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
Happy Verizon DSL customer

I arrived in Santo Domingo on Wednesday 14 Dec., escaping the snow and ice in Toronto.
As on previous occasions Verizon Dial-Up had been driving me to distraction, I had asked my Significant Other to have Verizon install an ?Internet Flash? connection in our house in SD.
Unfortunately my Sony notebook computer refused to boot up: a common problem with Sony notebooks, see http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/5449/?o=1280, and the Verizon technician could not finish the installation.
Having been made aware of this problem I brought another computer with me and on Thursday proceeded to install the SpeedTouch 330 USB modem left by the technician. The process was relatively painless after I discovered that on of the filters was incorrectly installed (phone cable plugged into DSL socket) and uninstalling avast antivirus.
After reading some of the posts in this forum I had my doubts, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I have indeed a very decent connection, no more arbitrary disconnects, and an free phone line.
A few tests at http://performance.toast.net/ shows that I have an average download speed of 324 kbps and an upload of 217 kbps.
This is certainly not as fast as my Canadian connection, downloads and uploads of large files seems to take about four times as long: but opening web pages and receiving emails is not noticeably slower.
Although I would have preferred a modem with an Ethernet connection rather than the USB modem (I also bought a wireless router with me as don?t like a lot of wires and clutter) I must say that I am very happy with my new Verizon Internet Flash connection.

Happy Holidays everyone. Geert

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
verizon

I will agree with you...I have had verizon phone and flash in my sd house for over a year and have not had 1 instance of downtime...it is fairly fast and very reliable.
bob