SD to samana is the most dangerous road in DR

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is Highway 7 (toll road), through Los Haiteses. It's a stunning road, but slippery like a wet beaver when it rains. I've seen a lot of wrecks on it over the years.

[video=youtube_share;A_mGFVhDpho]https://youtu.be/A_mGFVhDpho[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone timed the trip from Cabarete via POP-Santiago-SD vs this Samana-SD road ? The big problem is you have to go by Nagua - a roadblock checkpoint, I get stoped there nearly every time and it's a city where time stood still.

I can't exactly put my finger on it but I suspect they did medical experiments on the residents of Nagua years ago ?

Nov/Dec are the worst for the checkpoints.....
I just slow down and wave.... not usually a problem.

Having 5-6 marbetas in the window helps -IMO

Those medical experiments were good....
no scarring from the lobotomies....

Planet of the Apes... flashback

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It's the best road in the country for speed.....the toll road

I have seen any number of fast luxuries blow by me..

Bentley Coupes, Italian Stallions.... all of them
and the twists at the end are what they live for.

Having owned one of those....
It's hard to be too critical.....

They go fast but they stop fast too and handle better than anything else on the road.

I'm not making excuses for them - just saying.
Like high end athletes - they outperform.

Many Dominicans who can afford to drive these vehicles also seem to feel that they don't have to obey traffic laws. This highway is not supposed to be the autobahn. The vehicles you mentioned are not what you regularly see in the DR however many drive large SUVs and don't seem to have much regard for traffic laws or courtesy for other drivers and pedestrians. If they stopped treating their horns as an excuse for brakes perhaps roads would be a little safer. That being said if the SD/Samana Highway is so dangerous than the DR gov needs to continue to run radar and have patrols on this highway on a continuous basis.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not so much dangerous LT---but it is somewhat
More the abuse of the rules and selfishness of the drivers - as you point out.

There are engineering flaws...
but the flaws of the drivers outweigh them -

if you ask me -- and I know you didn't !!

haha

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not so much dangerous LT---but it is somewhat
More the abuse of the rules and selfishness of the drivers - as you point out.

There are engineering flaws...
but the flaws of the drivers outweigh them -

if you ask me -- and I know you didn't !!

haha
I have only driven it once. I was in a slow car. No issues for me and the drive was very nice but there are areas if you broke down you would have no cell service and it's a long way to walk to find anything including a cow.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who found myself sliding around one of those bends at a relatively low speed. I never expected to have to be on full opposite lock like a rally driver while driving my Nissan Xterra!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The water seems to run in sheets down/across the road

Invisible to my naked eye.....

where's BrxBoy ?
Slip, Slidin' Away.....sing it to me

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
the road from SD to samana is considered to be the most dangerous in the country, followed by autopista duarte, carretera sanchez and autopista las americas.
full reports in links above.

That's funny, I thought that it was Carr. Mella near Mega Centro in the afternoon rush hour. :squareeye

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The most dangerous road has got to be the one in Bavaro where there is a rotunda.

Not sure where it is, but there is a page on Facebook from that area posting pictures on a daily basis of accidents with fatalities because drivers approach it at a high rate of speed.