Seafood safe to eat?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The Maine old wives tale says to stay well do not eat any reef fish in months spelled without the letter R. ! I've followed this rule and lived long enough to qualify as an old wife so it must be true!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well...the DR is ripe with wives tales. I was told the wives tale was "don't eat oysters in months with the letter "r"." That said, CIGUATERA is a reef (hence TROPICAL sea) disease ...and there's no OYSTERS growing in the DR....

Tell ya what, let's try it...next month is MAY, go eat a large Dominican reef caught PARROTFISH and let me know how you make out.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The Maine old wives tale says to stay well do not eat any reef fish in months spelled without the letter R. ! I've followed this rule and lived long enough to qualify as an old wife so it must be true!

Get the same tale in florida, no REEF FISH in months without an R as the warmer to support the CIGUATERA. so goes the tail, not sure about here as the water is always warm. Oh and never barracuda as thats the top of the chain and ciguatera accumulates the further up it goes.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Safe Seafood? Helps if you understand WHAT you're really eating...

Mahi Mahi = El dorado = "dolphin"...
Bottle nose porpoise is sometimes called a dolphin, but illegal to kill and eat in most of the world (except like China & Japan, where they eat anything)

Is Mahi Mahi really Dolphin??? As in man's best sea friend? God, I'll never buy the stuff again!

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
still confused so many fish

is it safe to eat fish in restaurant in dr? there is a lot fry fish to sell on beach.is it safe to eat?