Seems Like I Am About To Have A Big Legal Problem Here

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yes there are probably the 'in' owners who get reduced rates via special services/favors/money back etc and the out crowd who pays for the shenanigans. The Gringos will always be in the latter group.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
A proper legal opinion is needed for your issues. However, with over 30 years of condo ownership I would guess none of these increases are legally binding if the management did not follow the bylaws and file any changes with the Land Court. I believe a 75% vote is needed for those changes assuming your condo uses the same 1958 boiler-plate by laws most condos use here. Let's hope someone from Guzman's office can be the legal eagle you need.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Absolutely-this is what I have been working on to do an independent audit, but owners are scared or don't want to be involved for whatever reason. Administrator holds the receipts and will only give copies and not the originals. Audit firms want to see originals and would have to go directly into the Administrator's office to investigate.
It is understandable that they don't want to let the original receipts out of their possession. But if they are willing to provide copies of all of the receipts, you can then go through them and flag any that you think are suspicious. Then make an appointment to see and examine the original receipts.

As far as determining if there was a quorum, there is a specific format that should be followed that includes taking attendance at the beginning of the meeting, recording any proxies and providing copies of them, and having a copy of all owners titles to insure that they are the person legally responsible for voting. If you pm me I can send you a copy of our last owners meeting so that you can see the format followed by the lawyer that assisted us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
A proper legal opinion is needed for your issues. However, with over 30 years of condo ownership I would guess none of these increases are legally binding if the management did not follow the bylaws and file any changes with the Land Court. I believe a 75% vote is needed for those changes assuming your condo uses the same 1958 boiler-plate by laws most condos use here. Let's hope someone from Guzman's office can be the legal eagle you need.

Thanks for the useful information-I am going to investigate this further. Is it 75% of the approval of all of the property owners OR 75% of the property owners present at the meeting satisfying the quorum requirement?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
It is understandable that they don't want to let the original receipts out of their possession. But if they are willing to provide copies of all of the receipts, you can then go through them and flag any that you think are suspicious. Then make an appointment to see and examine the original receipts.

As far as determining if there was a quorum, there is a specific format that should be followed that includes taking attendance at the beginning of the meeting, recording any proxies and providing copies of them, and having a copy of all owners titles to insure that they are the person legally responsible for voting. If you pm me I can send you a copy of our last owners meeting so that you can see the format followed by the lawyer that assisted us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes thank you. I actually have the document in my possession. It's called the Asistencia de Nomina'.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Go to DR1 home page and on the right side of the real estate hyperlinks you'll see the condo laws recognized by the Land Court. Article 12 references the 75% majority I mentioned in my previous post.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Go to DR1 home page and on the right side of the real estate hyperlinks you'll see the condo laws recognized by the Land Court. Article 12 references the 75% majority I mentioned in my previous post.

It appears to be a 75% majority of the owners voting in a quorum meeting. I was hoping for a 75% majority of all the property owners. Hard for me to prove as they state in the meeting minutes that it was merely approved by a majority.

Also, the land court that you mentioned-They are required to register changes there? Is this the Tierra de Tribunales? Can we request that information from them?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Wait for actual legal opinion on the items. My opinion may not be actual current legal interpretation and I don't want to mislead you.

tmob12000

May 28, 2013
You should as an owner be able to request to see where the funds are being spent and why the extra is needed!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Long story short, the Administration and Council of my apartment complex continue to raise the monthly association fee to the point that I can no longer find any buyers for my apartment. I am in the process of trying to sale the property and the real estate agents told me that the current level at $RD9,000 is already too high. I didn't dare tell them that there are plans to raise it up to $RD11,000 making it virtually impossible to find a buyer and possibly devaluing the price of the apartment itself.

I wonder if there is some legal recourse that can be taken, if the monthly condo fee is raised to the point that it financially impairs the owners of the properties.

Please advise, if possible. God's speed.

If I am not mistaken that is $200 usd under the current exchange rate. Depending where the property is that is really not outrageous. That is really on the lower end of fees. I know of some that pay close to $300 or more. What is covered by your monthly fee?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
If I am not mistaken that is $200 usd under the current exchange rate. Depending where the property is that is really not outrageous. That is really on the lower end of fees. I know of some that pay close to $300 or more. What is covered by your monthly fee?

LTSteve,

1. I had several agents from Remax over here and they told me this is way too high for the area and the type of property involved. Many prospective buyers already complained that $RD9,000 was too high for the type of property.

2. When I say the type of property-This is a complex of 60 apartments. A monthly fee of $USD300+ is usually confined to select Torres that have 16 or fewer apartments. This is not the case, when you get to properties with 30 or more apartments-the cost of the monthly fee goes down proportionately.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The head of the condo assoc. IS stealing your money, and probably sharing it, or giving a lower monthly fee to the other members.

There is little you can do.
I had a friend with the same problem.
He got enough of the other tenants being "SCREWED" to force the building to be managed by a condo maintenance company,
Who gives a monthly accounting of where to money is spent.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SD,... then contact "Guzman Ariza"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criss,

Unfortunately, this is already with a condo maintenance company and we are receiving reports monthly, but that was not always the case prior, where monthly reports went missing from mid 2014 to the end of 2015.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

LTSteve, This covers all of the water-gas-planta-security-cleaning common areas-maintenance of gates, elevators, etc. etc.

The problem with your thesis is that we have two exact type properties built by the same construction company right near us here with the exact same type structure and apartments and they are combined paying around $RD8,000 per month.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Thanks for the useful information-I am going to investigate this further. Is it 75% of the approval of all of the property owners OR 75% of the property owners present at the meeting satisfying the quorum requirement?

Abuela is right as far as I can see.
You must first determine if there was a legal quorum.
I am not sure on the necessary quorum law so you need expert advice on this.

If this is not present then none of the motions are legally binding.

Difficult to know who to take action against but I would try to assert that the association acted illegally and that a quorum was not present.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
A increase in maintenance fees must be made by the assembly of condo owners.

An absolute majority of votes is required: 50% +1 of all possible votes (not 51%).

Seems like a very low bar for being able to increase the maintenance fees, in the sense that a quorum only requires 51% of the building's units be represented. In addition, it states in our regulations that one individual can represent up to 3 owners at these meetings. Then, the majority vote is only 50%+1 of those present to make up the quorum. So in total, you could have a situation where not even a real majority of 51% of all of the units in the building complex approve the increase through the resolution at an Assembly meeting.

Moreover, our regulations state that they must demonstrate the numbers in the meetings that voted for and those that voted against any one resolution. Under the resolution to increase the budget and monthly association fee, it merely states that there was a majority in approval, but no details of the numbers that voted in affirmation and those that voted against the resolution. To me, that seems grounds to challenge whether the resolution was actually passed at the meeting and/or they need to do it all over again at another meeting.

Finally, I get the impression that they went searching for signatures after the meeting to make the 'asistencia de nomina' look like it had a quorum and that is obviously not permitted in the condo laws of 1958 and our own regulations.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
LTSteve, This covers all of the water-gas-planta-security-cleaning common areas-maintenance of gates, elevators, etc. etc.

The problem with your thesis is that we have two exact type properties built by the same construction company right near us here with the exact same type structure and apartments and they are combined paying around $RD8,000 per month.

Is this building also being managen by an management company? Of not, there's your difference.

Can't judge if 8,000 / 9,000 or 11,000 is a lot. I pay 4,500 but that's without generator and quite simple security, but on the other hand we are only 10 houses. I've recently visited several projects in Arroyo Hondo and they were often above 10,000 pesos. Only the very big ones, like Isabela Villas, Cuesta Hermosa, have low amounts, but then you're talking hundreds of owners.

Can you say which project it is?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Is this building also being managen by an management company? Of not, there's your difference.

Can't judge if 8,000 / 9,000 or 11,000 is a lot. I pay 4,500 but that's without generator and quite simple security, but on the other hand we are only 10 houses. I've recently visited several projects in Arroyo Hondo and they were often above 10,000 pesos. Only the very big ones, like Isabela Villas, Cuesta Hermosa, have low amounts, but then you're talking hundreds of owners.

Can you say which project it is?

It would be best that I don't for know, but as I pointed out in that post, we have two other developments right next to us built by the same exact constructor same exact apartment configurations-only some differences in the common areas and the number of gates to the property. Those other two properties have 72 apartments combined versus our 60 and are paying a combined RD$8,000/month.