Seguridad Social

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question here at the DR Social Security Website or with various lawyers.

What are the rules / legal requirements regarding payment or social security with regards to part time members of domestic staff?

Examples.
  1. A maid who works 5 hours a week and does not live in.
  2. A gardener who works 8 hours a week and does not live in.

Many thanks in advance.
Jon

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
good question

I understand that incorporated trading companies have to register each employee and pay social security contributions for the employees on their payroll according to Ley 87-01.

Like a lot of laws anywhere, Ley 87-01 is open to interpretation and does not appear to specifically categorize or include "domestic workers" anywhere.

So I do not know if it is a legal requirement that private individuals who employ a part-time domestic worker must register them and pay accordingly.

I suspect many individuals as employers are totally unaware of this, most people appear to just pay their domestic staff "cash in hand".

Perhaps Fabio would be so kind as to clarify.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This Is The "DR", NOT The "PC",... USA!

Forget about paying your domestic employees social security!!!!!!!!!!
They, or anyother Dominican, will never see anything anyway. The money will all be misappropriated by government officials! Haven't you been following the "Scandall" at "Seguro Social"??? "Millions of pesos a month sent to bogus accounts by a "Mafia" in the main office!!! 20 year olds recieving 50,000 a month!

This IS,as I said, "THE DR"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
As gsjuk pointed out above, the Social Security law does not specifically categorize or include "domestic workers" anywhere.

My opinion is that domestic workers are included based on the Principle of Universality established in Article 3 of Law #87-01, and on Article 5 of the Law which established as beneficiaries "all Dominican citizens and legal residents in the country."