Semana Santa celebrations in SD

JasonR

Nov 18, 2006
Are there any planned celebrations in town? If so, does anyone have any details?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
In RD do they celebrate Easter like they do in Spain? Do people wear the hooded robes?

What are the customs?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to today's DR1 News:

Easter Week religious events
The Cathedral of Santo Domingo will be celebrating Mass at 9 am with the renovation of priests' vows on Thursday, 5 April, to continue with an 8 pm Mass. The Choir of the Cathedral, and musicians of the National Symphony Orchestra will be participating in the Good Friday Mass on 6 April at 8 pm. The choir will be singing Introito and Kyrie, In Paradisum of the Requiem by Gabriel Faure; Sanctus, of the Requiem by Guiseppe Verdi, Dies Irae, Lacrimosa, and Agnus Dei, of the Requiem by Mozart; and Amen, of the Strabat Mater oratory by Gioachio Rossini. Resurrection Mass on Easter Sunday is at 12 noon.

There are no Seville-style 'penitentes' here as far as I know. Also of interest are the celebrations of 'religiosidad popular' in the pueblos and campos around the country - places like Bayaguana/Monte Plata and Cabral (Barahona) among others have interesting rituals and processions.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Are there any planned celebrations in town? If so, does anyone have any details?

is a week for fasting and reflexion and remembering the passion of Christ......but those who are not religious go and vacation and drink and party. In the rural areas and the interior I never saw any kind of parties,never. When I was growing up, all the radio stations would only play classical music and everyone was quiet and respectful, things have changed now.