Seperation from live in girlfriend

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Not sure if this applies in the DR, but if you put the Asset into a Corp ownership. ( of course you need to maintain the Corporation then, which may not be worth it for you) but ANY asset in a Corp Name is UNtouchable .. by a spouse or anyone, and especially if you have your other Family members own shares in that Corp.. and esp if they own over 51% ..

When a law suit is made against a person it names any corporations owned by that person.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Another object lesson is Hillbilly's rule to avoid women who do not at least have in pesos what you have in dollars. I wonder what she did with all that money. Acrylic nails aren't that much..

as i know they pass the money to family a big sharing thing...

potus

Dec 27, 2015
In this case he should be bringing criminal charges against her, at least for the cows. The rest would be harder to prove.

After 3 years....exact same as married! Spouse can not accuse spouse of theft.
Eun to a great divorce atty.....Make sure he does not play both sides, as they almost all do here.....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
After 3 years....exact same as married! Spouse can not accuse spouse of theft.
Eun to a great divorce atty.....Make sure he does not play both sides, as they almost all do here.....

There are previous threads on this subject. Apparently 'common law marriage' does not exist in DR law but 'concubinato' or 'union libre' apparently is recognized to an increasing degree and it may be worth raising the subject again on the Legal forum for latest legal clarification on when one's partner could be considered as such and liabilities.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What if someone lives in your house long term for free, as a friend. Are there any legal obligations there?

My landlady last month bought the land across the street here in Puerto Plata, it had a community of squatters on it which had been paying rent to an italian lady who did not own it in any manner, but had been collecting rent from the Haitians, a small amount I was told, between 1400 and 2000 pesos per month per shack. Now the Italian woman is suing my landlady because she (Italian) had been caring for the property,and should be compensated for it. SHe is asking more from the suit than landlady paid for the property! We'll see how it comes out.

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
Because those are the only one that want to to get involved with an older gringo who can not speak spanish...

Apr 7, 2014
Another object lesson is Hillbilly's rule to avoid women who do not at least have in pesos what you have in dollars. I wonder what she did with all that money. Acrylic nails aren't that much..
She gave it away.
I am trying to understand the most cautious approach for future reference. I am reading, do not let her move in. Is it helpful to rent the woman an apartment instead of moving her in when nearing the 2 year mark, somewhere separate from where you stay? When it is time to walk away, just stopping give her money for the apartment.

I understand it is vital to really know the moral priorities of a person and their family, before becoming another drama story.
Dont buy, rent. If she is for real leave her something in your will to provide for her. If not, give her the apartment and move on to another. She most likely cannot handle the expense of wherever you live anyway.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
DONT BUY ,RENT....why not just rent them by the hour ....who needs to have them move into your home............go the cabana route ...hasta luego

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DONT BUY ,RENT....why not just rent them by the hour ....who needs to have them move into your home............go the cabana route ...hasta luego

my sentiments, exactly. why bring in somebody who is going to want to watch novelas when you want to watch NFL playoffs

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
My landlady last month bought the land across the street here in Puerto Plata, it had a community of squatters on it which had been paying rent to an italian lady who did not own it in any manner, but had been collecting rent from the Haitians, a small amount I was told, between 1400 and 2000 pesos per month per shack. Now the Italian woman is suing my landlady because she (Italian) had been caring for the property,and should be compensated for it. SHe is asking more from the suit than landlady paid for the property! We'll see how it comes out.

I hope she counter claims theft of rent money? Besides why is she suing the new owner, she was "care taking" for the previous owner. I hope the courts treat your landlady fairly.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
There is not such a thing as "stealing" between "common law spouses" in most countries.:cool:

If I had a dollar for every wife or husband who left their spouse and cleaned out the bank accounts and sold off assets, then the other spouse tried to file a theft complaint. Sorry I would say but in Canada it is marital property. However in divorce court when dividing up the assets etc, the one who took everything will have their share of remaining goods and assets diminished by the amount they took prior to the dissolving of the relationship.