SERVICE DOG

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day, Due to declining health am I being forced to use a service Dog.
My Brother uses one in the USA and I am very familiar with the Laws and Regulations.
Does anyone know the Rules and Regulations for service dogs in this Country specifically/

Thank you very much.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have brought my service dog with me to DR on about 6 trips .
Flew with Jetblue.......one time they tried to squeeze me into one seat with a 100lb dog ....luckily a fellow flier gave up his seat and moved to another one
I have had him in Restaurants and at the beach .....no problems
One hotel in Jarabacoa refused to honor my reservation on my second trip to the hotel with my dog...despite having no issues on the previous trip .All they said was ...Big Dog ..Big Dog ........I replied same size he was on my last trip

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I have brought my service dog with me to DR on about 6 trips .
Flew with Jetblue.......one time they tried to squeeze me into one seat with a 100lb dog ....luckily a fellow flier gave up his seat and moved to another one
I have had him in Restaurants and at the beach .....no problems
One hotel in Jarabacoa refused to honor my reservation on my second trip to the hotel with my dog...despite having no issues on the previous trip .All they said was ...Big Dog ..Big Dog ........I replied same size he was on my last trip
Thank you very much. I am more concerned as well with the Place I own....Neighbors dislike me and my Dog without reason.....can they order the Dog to be removed?

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Thank you very much. I am more concerned as well with the Place I own....Neighbors dislike me and my Dog without reason.....can they order the Dog to be removed?
Is Arsen your service dog?
I can't imagine anybody disliking him...he's a cutie.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Is Arsen your service dog?
I can't imagine anybody disliking him...he's a cutie.
Thank you...hard to imagine...the most peaceful being on Earth...but you know how it is, there are always Haters. Yes, Arsen is highly trained.....

Big

Apr 24, 2019
it has been my experience here that a service dog is for the blind or visually impaired. Just like the states anything else is considered a scam.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
it has been my experience here that a service dog is for the blind or visually impaired. Just like the states anything else is considered a scam.
Perhaps you have been out of the U.S.A. for a very long time.
Things have changed.
Dare I say...progressed.
God forbid.
There have been laws passed in the U.S. that include more than just blindness as a qualifier for using a service dog.

1...American With Disabilities Act.
2...Fair Housing Act.
3...Air Carrier Access Act

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Perhaps you have been out of the U.S.A. for a very long time.
Things have changed.
Dare I say...progressed.
God forbid.
There have been laws passed in the U.S. that include more than just blindness as a qualifier for using a service dog.

1...American With Disabilities Act.
2...Fair Housing Act.
3...Air Carrier Access Act

An OCD service dog lol, thank you for the mid-morning chuckle.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
no things have not changed. An emotional service dog (or any other animal for that matter) is still considered a scam.
IIRC, Dogs are still a go, but others like pigs, ducks, and other animals aren't going to fly.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
On empathy:

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

Said by Atticus Finch to Scout in To Kill A Mockingbird
Harper Lee

Or...
Joe South/Walk a Mile in My Shoes.

Empathy?
Hmmm...
Is that what some folks are calling "woke" these days?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Forcing a barn animal (which some of these large dogs amount to) into social and close quarters situations like restaurants and airplanes is inconsiderate. You will not be able to bring an animal into any restaurant that I know of. Expecting people to share the love of your animal is not going to happen most of the time. Many have allergies and do not want to smell a dog while in restaurants. Further, staff should not have to clean -up after fido, after his hair is all over everything. .....emotional service dog,. Lol

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Holy cow! When was the last time I heard that!

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I fully agree....My question was What are the laws here?>>>
My Brother uses one in the USA and I am very familiar with the Laws and Regulations.
Does anyone know the Rules and Regulations for service dogs in this Country specifically