setting up aquarium

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
dv8, there are a couple of pet stores with large tropical fish sections in Santiago. Might be worth a drop-by to see and chat with their folks...

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Great hobby. Have fun.

I did the saltwater route. I loved the halide lighting as I have seasonal depression with out sunlight and higher index of refraction which made the aquarium look like a gem. When my fish got too big, I took them to seaworld. Last I checked, they still have a few. I trained a french angel to eat of my hand, and I hear he's still doing it with tourists.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Takes a lot of dedication (and money) to keep a saltwater tank!

yes it does but they are so beautiful...... my pockets aren't that deep and I doubt i would have the dedication.

@gringorubio post a couple pics if you don't mind maybe get dv8 really motivated............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a bit of an update. i identified the fish as tetra. glofish, or whatever they be called in particular.

inexplicably, one fish disappeared. literally, no sign of it. one day it was there, the next day gone. i emptied the tank, cleaned it up, washed the stones and shells, fishy nowhere to be found. what the hell. the only logical explanation is that it managed to jump out through a narrow opening in the lid and was then eaten by cats. because i also searched the floor around the aquarium and no dead bodies. as a kid i had a fish tank and occasionally the fish would jump out so i know it can happen.

anyways, i sent miesposo out to replace the missing fish and he came back with two little fellows so now we have three of them. very lively and cute as a button.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
a bit of an update. i identified the fish as tetra. glofish, or whatever they be called in particular.

inexplicably, one fish disappeared. literally, no sign of it. one day it was there, the next day gone. i emptied the tank, cleaned it up, washed the stones and shells, fishy nowhere to be found. what the hell. the only logical explanation is that it managed to jump out through a narrow opening in the lid and was then eaten by cats. because i also searched the floor around the aquarium and no dead bodies. as a kid i had a fish tank and occasionally the fish would jump out so i know it can happen.

anyways, i sent miesposo out to replace the missing fish and he came back with two little fellows so now we have three of them. very lively and cute as a button.

More likely the other one ate it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are fed once a day and both fish were the same size, i don't see one fish eating another, seeing that they eat maybe a flake of food before getting full.