Sewing machine oil...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I use it for lots of things. Sealing around toilet tank bolts, sink drains. I know everyone here uses silicone but that's not right. Since I'm in Ft Lauderdale if I remember I'll pick some up at Home Depot. It's such a common thing but hardware stores on the North Coast draw a blank.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk. And it's cheap

...used to use that putty, until 2 plumbers told me it was used for getting threads to tighten easier...not for a sealant...thats when I started with the silicone...anyway have you tried finding the tape?.....

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
...used to use that putty, until 2 plumbers told me it was used for getting threads to tighten easier...not for a sealant...thats when I started with the silicone...anyway have you tried finding the tape?.....
The plumbers were wrong.

It is for helping seal connections. It's made from clay - a natural sealant.

Once silicone cures, it won't continue to conform to the surface if something moves and breaks the bond. The putty will.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Were those Dominican plumbers ?
I have built at least 40 homes in the US, and did the plumping on several. I'm familiar with the putty and how and where to use it.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Were those Dominican plumbers ?
I have built at least 40 homes in the US, and did the plumping on several. I'm familiar with the putty and how and where to use it.

I usually only do my plumping in the DR.

What do you think of PEX? I'm getting ready to re-run my retirement house with it. Pex-B

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I usually only do my plumping in the DR.

What do you think of PEX? I'm getting ready to re-run my retirement house with it. Pex-B

Pex is good. I stopped building homes before that was widely used. Now everyone uses if.
We used rolled copper under homes then hard copper above grade, but of course you had to be on the watch for copper thieves.

Pex B is the cheapest and strongest but I think it only comes in coils.
You must have the correct crimping tools to match your crimp rings or use shark-bite fittings (which are expensive) You can also transition to copper or cpvc. I would recommend using the brass instead of plastic PEX fittings because over time they can crack.
But if you are doing this in the DR you might be stuck with what's available ? You will need to transition to your mixing valve and other brass fitting.

Where do you find this material in the DR ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mom CB has run 3-in-1 oil on her older sewing machines forever. It should be just fine on vintage machines unless the area is very dirty or dusty.

I would not use it on newer machines.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Pex is good. I stopped building homes before that was widely used. Now everyone uses if.
We used rolled copper under homes then hard copper above grade, but of course you had to be on the watch for copper thieves.

Pex B is the cheapest and strongest but I think it only comes in coils.
You must have the correct crimping tools to match your crimp rings or use shark-bite fittings (which are expensive) You can also transition to copper or cpvc. I would recommend using the brass instead of plastic PEX fittings because over time they can crack.
But if you are doing this in the DR you might be stuck with what's available ? You will need to transition to your mixing valve and other brass fitting.

Where do you find this material in the DR ?

The project I'm just starting is in the States. But I purchased everything from PexUniverse (best prices). Free shipping if your invoice is more than 100 usd. So it would be easy to have a forwarder do the shipping to DR.

With the exception of the pex coils, everything could easily fit in a large suitcase for a single fam home. I bought 2 coils 100' of 3/4", 2 100' coils of 1/2", all brass ball valves, all fittings, 4 copper manifolds, crimps, crimp tool and a cutter, hangers, etc all in for under 500 usd.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The plumbers were wrong.

It is for helping seal connections. It's made from clay - a natural sealant.

Once silicone cures, it won't continue to conform to the surface if something moves and breaks the bond. The putty will.

Silicone is not good for sealing anything that remains under pressure.

The plumber I use has a sealant that looks like a strip of grey horse hair. Works really well.

The thread sealant (we used to call it "pipe dope" in the US) also works well but I have never seen it here.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RectorSeal-Pipe-Thread-Sealant/1087353

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Only true gamblers order merchandise from afar and have it shipped to the DR. Ignore the "won't ship to the DR" notices on Amazon and use your courier's Miami address (as bb suggests), chances are you'll actually receive it and you won't have to deal with customs directly.
Some shippers know the frieght forwarders and won't ship to them either.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Google search seems to agree with you..........

3 in 1 oil should not be used for sewing machines ( or any other mechanical
device you care about ). It evaporates and leaves a gummy residue. A good
sewing machine oil is much better but the best is the ( relatively new )
Teflon based oils such as Breakfree, Triflow, ect.
I was going to ask if there were any orings or gaskets that Teflon might expand, but it seems not. WD-40 is easy to find in SD.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Don't use gooey gummy 3 in 1 if it calls for refined sewing machine oil If I recall 3 in 1 is a solvent and not an actual lubricating oil, similar to WD 40 May work for a period but will come to a screeching halt and require digging the stuff (3 in 1) out
3 in 1 used to be good stuff. They have clearly changed the formula.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Gun oil is a suitable substitute for machine oil, with the added benefit that it has better corrosion resistance.  I've seen gun oil for sale in the hardware sections of La Sirena.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Don't know how good this machine oil is our whether it will ultimately fix the problem we're having with the part, but we found it at Dume yesterday evening.

It is made by Allary, and looks like this...http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a43c0a32cc6b/images.jpg?

I feel more comfortable trying it out rather than 3 in 1.

Sent from my Pixel V2 using Tapatalk

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Gun oil is a suitable substitute for machine oil, with the added benefit that it has better corrosion resistance.  I've seen gun oil for sale in the hardware sections of La Sirena.

Bicycle (chain) oil is similarly thin. If you can find genuine bicycle oil there.

wbr