Shame on The Dominican Republic Government

Aug 6, 2006
Are you really that dense, or is it an act?

Not at all. It is obvious that I was simply pointing out that you seem to be blaming Dominicans for shortages of Venezuelan toilet paper. SHAME on the DR! They got cheap oil, and look what happened! Venezuelans forced to wipe their butts with Lord knows what.

The US continues to buy Venezuelan oil, so it also supports Maduro.
And I hardly think that the Chinese comparison is invalid. The US could come down a lot harder on China over Tibet and the Muslims in Urumqi. Why don't they do this? Because it would have no good effect.

Neither would the Dominican vote in the OAS change a thing in Venezuela.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In spite of the terrible dependence on Venezuelan oil, IF the PetroCaribe deal is revoked or breaks down, the DR will probably have a governmental panic but not for long.
In fact, if you think about it, it might force the DR government to really tighten its belt.
Look at it like this:
The buying public has received absolutely NO benefits from PetroCaribe--the gubmint has.
We, that buying public, are paying some of the highest gasoline/diesel/kerosine prices in the Caribbean at $5.90 dollars a gallon.
So what if PetroCaribe falls through> ? We buy oil through the San Jose Accords, the government tries to raise prices even more, there will be widespread strikes and some violence, the gubmint will have to retreat and find some there else to find money...and we will still have fuel for our cars and generators.
Playing to the Venezuelan dictator's whims will just buy time.

Venezuela used to export over 1.3 million barrels a day to the US, which were paid for. Today the amount is less than 800,000 barrels and still paid for. Why? Closing in on a million barrels a day to China to pay off debts there and about 800,000 barrels a day to the ALBA countries and PetroCaribe--none of which it gets paid for..AND,,,,gasoline is still less than 50 cents a gallon in Venezuela....much less...

I wonder if this makes sense??

Oh well..

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So what if PetroCaribe falls through> ? We buy oil through the San Jose Accords, the government tries to raise prices even more, there will be widespread strikes and some violence, the gubmint will have to retreat and find some there else to find money...and we will still have fuel for our cars and generators.
Playing to the Venezuelan dictator's whims will just buy time.
Please explain this. I thought the SJA was international reconciliation of Honduras after the 2009 debacle.

Is there an expansive oil component with terms similar to the PC deal?

I don't see how the DR gubmint can cut back significantly without riots in the streets.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not at all. It is obvious that I was simply pointing out that you seem to be blaming Dominicans for shortages of Venezuelan toilet paper. SHAME on the DR! They got cheap oil, and look what happened! Venezuelans forced to wipe their butts with Lord knows what.

The US continues to buy Venezuelan oil, so it also supports Maduro.
And I hardly think that the Chinese comparison is invalid. The US could come down a lot harder on China over Tibet and the Muslims in Urumqi. Why don't they do this? Because it would have no good effect.

Neither would the Dominican vote in the OAS change a thing in Venezuela.

So it's not an act.
My response was to SKY to posted a link about Venezuela provided cheap home heating oil for Americans ( a attempt to rub it in the face of the American government). This is ripe coming from a country that is falling apart economically and socially. The toilet paper....etc has nothing to do with the Dominican Republic (Duh).
The rest of the Caribbean community is just as shameless , also voting as a block because they receive financial benefits from Venezuela in one form or another.
How do you know that the Dominican government indicating that they were for open and honest dialogue, as well as a voice for the opposition in Venezuela wouldn't make a difference to other countries feeling they had to eat **** and vote against their conscience? I wasn't aware you has so much insider information.

Aug 6, 2006
If the DR government imports the oil at one price, has it refined and sold at a profit, that is essentially a tax, which the DR government uses to fund things that would otherwise require raising other taxes.

Again, the DR is too puny to force Maduro to make nice to demonstrators.

The US is not puny, but does not threaten China with trade retaliation over civil liberties.

The toilet paper shortage is due to the unrealistic exchange rate for the Bolivar, and demonstrations in Venezuela are increasingly due to the shortages. Venezuela has always been rather poorly run, by the way. But again, the DR cannot force Venezuela to do anything.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If the DR government imports the oil at one price, has it refined and sold at a profit, that is essentially a tax, which the DR government uses to fund things that would otherwise require raising other taxes.
Are you talking about the current PC deal?

Or some hypothetical deal out of your head?

Aug 6, 2006
How do you know that the Dominican government indicating that they were for open and honest dialogue, as well as a voice for the opposition in Venezuela wouldn't make a difference to other countries feeling they had to eat **** and vote against their conscience? I wasn't aware you has so much insider information.
=================================================================
The same way I know that a Yorky vs a pitbull is an unequal fight.

How much has disapproval of Cuba's awful record of civil rights by the US forced it to alter its wicked ways? We have had over 50 years of a silly boycott that has not changed Fidel's or Raul's minds.

Aug 6, 2006
I was describing the deal that was previously described by bob.

All I am saying is that nothing that the DR could do is likely to change the internal policies of the Venezuelan government. It is not a difficult concept.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I was describing the deal that was previously described by bob.

All I am saying is that nothing that the DR could do is likely to change the internal policies of the Venezuelan government. It is not a difficult concept.
What is your understanding of the current PetroCaribe deal.

And what is your understanding of options if the deal goes south...which Maduro's political opponents have publicly promised?

Aug 6, 2006
What is your understanding of the current PetroCaribe deal.

And what is your understanding of options if the deal goes south...which Maduro's political opponents have publicly promised?

LOOK: I am not commenting on PetroCaribe or Maduro, just on the topic of this post, which is the question of whether or not the DR should try to influence Venezuelan politics with its vote in the OAS, and my answer is no, it should not, because it could not change a thing.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
LOOK: I am not commenting on PetroCaribe or Maduro, just on the topic of this post, which is the question of whether or not the DR should try to influence Venezuelan politics with its vote in the OAS, and my answer is no, it should not, because it could not change a thing.
Regardless of how it may imp[act Venezuela, they CAN'T without the people of the DR suffering.

The DR gave away the *moral* high ground when the entered into the PC contract. They sold their soul to Chavez for $$$.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"XO" has ab "Anti USA Agenda" which he MUST insert in each of his posts, no matter what!

Makes for some disjointed, undecipherable reading, but now you know WHY!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

How is it influencing Venezuelan politics to vote for an open meeting of the OAS? I see it as the Venezuelans through their voting buying as interfering with the OAS.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How is it influencing Venezuelan politics to vote for an open meeting of the OAS? I see it as the Venezuelans through their voting buying as interfering with the OAS.
The OAS sure slapped down Honduras in '09.