Shipper

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
@bigwhiskey, nice list of items.

I noticed you had your barrel full before you searched for a shipper. Where did you get the barrel? I know embarque san miguel will sell and deliver a barrel if needed.

I like the V8 splash drinks so I throw several of those in. Packages of batteries, sheets, towels and if any space is left I keep thinking what else. Sometimes it is not so much these items aren't available but the convenience of having them delivered right to your door.

Yes, and for us it's the quality of linens, for example. Many things more expensive here, and fall apart or break in the blink of an eye.

In the months before we fly, I shop sales and start packing. Got large cans of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil for $10, 2.5 gallon jug of Crisco peanut oil for $15, and solid albacore tuna for a dollar a can (the tuna here looks like cat food). Etc etc.

We buy huge bags of bread flour at Sam's Club, 20-25 pounds, for about $5. I have to go all the way to Santo Domingo to buy it otherwise, and when I found it, it was 400 pesos for 5 pounds.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone used a shipping solution from the DR to Eastern Canada. The typical big box that people send here?

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
@bigwhiskey, nice list of items.

I noticed you had your barrel full before you searched for a shipper. Where did you get the barrel? I know embarque san miguel will sell and deliver a barrel if needed.

I like the V8 splash drinks so I throw several of those in. Packages of batteries, sheets, towels and if any space is left I keep thinking what else. Sometimes it is not so much these items aren't available but the convenience of having them delivered right to your door.

I used another company but they would say be there on a Monday and call on Tuesday they cant make it.
I live close to two small Dominican grocery stores that's where I get my barrels .

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Craigs list Is a good source for Barrels .. Lots of companies almost give them away, food grade . simple to rinse out .
This is one of the the things Craigs excels at .. have gotten great deals on things similar . I would say pay no more than $25 a barrel , but they can be easily found for $20
type in " 55 gallon barrels, food grade" or Rain barrels ,but they will come up with the 55 barrel seach .. dont buy the ones that say " for waste oil" as they are dirty and not worth the time to scrub and clean .

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
THe shipper I have used in Philadelphia has recently expanded and now his service sucks. I had to send someone TO HIM last time we needed his services to make sure that his guys actually arrived where they were supposed to --- after two weeks of trying to get the damn boxes/barrels delivered in the first place. I'm on the lookout for someone new in Philly area - ALTEREGO, think your atlantic city guy would make his way to philly?

**(so, I run a school here and some church groups donate a lot of our school supplies - a group from florida happened to be in philadelphia with a ton of stuff for us - but their leader needed to pay with a check (tax stuff) and we didn't know how much it was going to cost. not comfortable leaving a blank check with my mom, etc...)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
THe shipper I have used in Philadelphia has recently expanded and now his service sucks. I had to send someone TO HIM last time we needed his services to make sure that his guys actually arrived where they were supposed to --- after two weeks of trying to get the damn boxes/barrels delivered in the first place. I'm on the lookout for someone new in Philly area - ALTEREGO, think your atlantic city guy would make his way to philly?

**(so, I run a school here and some church groups donate a lot of our school supplies - a group from florida happened to be in philadelphia with a ton of stuff for us - but their leader needed to pay with a check (tax stuff) and we didn't know how much it was going to cost. not comfortable leaving a blank check with my mom, etc...)

Absolutely, give him a call. The company is based in Camden, which is right over the bridge from Philly. If he can't pick it up, I'm sure someone from the main office will.

They'll give you the cost in advance if you're using barrells and standard boxes, or give them exact dimensions, they do take checks.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
While blue barrels seem to be the option of choice for many, I still prefer the 27" TV box that most shippers sell.

Since a whole lot of what I ship is in square containers, this makes more sense space wise, for me, than a round barrel.....and it certainly is more organized and fits together like a puzzle....to wit:

The inside dimensions of the boxes I use are approximately L 24" x W 24." A 12x12x8 box like the kind many of the shippers and the USPS uses fit nicely in a four box configuration that you can then stack another layer of those four boxes on top and still have 3 or 4 inches at the top for longer/larger items.

Or, you can layer the bottom with one row of those boxes, then buy those 18 gallon plastic totes, stack two or three inside each other and put any breakable/fragile items inside. And there is still plenty of room for other items. Best part is the plastic totes then become nice, dry, stackable, bug proof storage containers for use in the house.

As to what to send, the list is only limited by your imagination and the size of the box/barrel.

Adding to the excellent lists above:

Heinz Ketchup;
Parmesan cheese;
Spaghetti sauces (for those who do not make their own)
M&M's candies;
dried soups;
toilet paper;
paper towels;
spices;
and on and on.

Non-food items I have shipped in a box:

tires;
car parts;
small appliances;
games;
shoes;
puzzles;
clothing;
sports equipment;
fans;
paint;
oil;
Christmas decorations;
and on and on.

Having a good door to door Mundanza is one of the keys to better living in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2