Shipping in a blue barrel, wondering if the items I'm bringing will pass customs

Jan 9, 2004
We've shipped all sorts of expensive kitchen and bathroom fixtures, tools , kitchen appliances , tower fans, etc., in the blue barrels. Never a problem.. We do send bag of rice and 2.5 gallon oil with each shipment. From NJ we pay $115 for shipping , plus the cost of the barrel (which varies).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto...but in boxes, not barrels.

As most packaging is square, I find I can get much more into a box than a barrel.

My shipper allows one small item to be shipped gratis outside the box. I regularly alternate between detergent, cooking oil, olive oil, all very expensive in the DR.

Bicycles, air conditioners, fans, TV's, computers, multifunction printers, microwaves, blenders etc. Only once did one of my TV's get flagged. Cost me an extra hundred US.....but all in all well worth it...even factoring in the shipping costs. Beyond that, you get the make, model, color you desire...not something you have to settle for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Aug 6, 2006
No one ever offered to send anything outside the barrel for free.
If you have a Miami address for your shipper, it will be appreciated.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ditto...but in boxes, not barrels.

As most packaging is square, I find I can get much more into a box than a barrel.

My shipper allows one small item to be shipped gratis outside the box. I regularly alternate between detergent and cooking oil,both very expensive in the DR.

Bicycles, air conditioners, fans, TV's, computers, multifunction printers, microwaves, blenders etc. Only once did one of my TV's get flagged. Cost me an extra hundred US.....but all in all well worth it...even factoring in the shipping costs. Beyond that, you get the make, model, color you desire...not something you have to settle for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree that I get more in boxes. We usually have at least one barrel for the taller items (like tower fans etc). We reuse all the barrels for not only water but they are great for storing big bags of dog food.

Jan 9, 2004
I agree that I get more in boxes. We usually have at least one barrel for the taller items (like tower fans etc). We reuse all the barrels for not only water but they are great for storing big bags of dog food.

Yes the barrels do have an afterlife and are little taller than my conventional TV box...but for larger items, I just buy a so-called wardrobe box...47" high....much taller than the barrels....cost a little more to send...oh, but the things you can put in there.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No one ever offered to send anything outside the barrel for free.
If you have a Miami address for your shipper, it will be appreciated.

My people strap on a bag of dog food or whatever to the top of the barrel - for free.

Miami , Luis Ramirez at Montero Shipping in Miami....305-620-5519

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A 55 gallon drum, with 4 inches of concrete in the bottom has MANY USES!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just be sure to seal it well,and poke several large holes in the sides so it will sink!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
we buy stuff from amazon and just ship it to the mudancero. he packs it in the barrel.

I wasn't aware we could do that.

Can you give me more information on how to do it and who to contact?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I wasn't aware we could do that.
Can you give me more information on how to do it and who to contact?

here you are:

i posted vinicio in the other thread but i'll advertise him again, i hope he gets more business because he is great.

vinicio shipping
in POP:
141 manolo tavarez justo
809 586 8107 and 829 353 1755
in the USA:
1042 N. E. 43th Ct
oakland park, florida 3334
954 563 4552 and 954 226 1503

he only delivers new times a year, maybe every 3 months. box is 35 dollars, tanque is 125 dollars. in our case it is payable upon delivery, not sure how he treats other customers (we've known him for many years). he has boxes and barrels. we ship from amazon and other places directly to him, using our name on the bill. he fills the barrel. delivers to your door. POP area is gratis but i know he delivers as far as SD. probably at an extra charge, i never asked. he may deliver anywhere.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
A 55 gallon drum, with 4 inches of concrete in the bottom has MANY USES!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Just be sure to seal it well,and poke several large holes in the sides so it will sink!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

oh Criss, the places your mind goes to....

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'm just not quite sure I understand this. So, you fill up a 55 gallon barrel or two, send it to one of these shippers in FL or NYC, and they ship it to your house in the DR. All you are charged is the shipping fee, and for the barrel. How is there no customs fees? Are their limits on costs of the items, like the $200 rule?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I'm just not quite sure I understand this. So, you fill up a 55 gallon barrel or two, send it to one of these shippers in FL or NYC, and they ship it to your house in the DR. All you are charged is the shipping fee, and for the barrel. How is there no customs fees? Are their limits on costs of the items, like the $200 rule?

There are no customs fees if the receipt says used clothing and/or food. If all your undeclared stuff is lost or stolen you have no recourse. I have never had anything expensive disappear yet. Fingers crossed as I have a barrel of used clothing and food (mostly ensure supplement drink) currently en-route that has a new honda generator in it. Amazon.com : Honda Eu2000ia Companion Portable Generator. This Carb Compliant Unit Is Powerful and Super Quiet. Power Enough for Microwave, Refrigerators, Hair Dryer, Small Ac Units, and Much More : Patio, Lawn & Garden.

fyi, I have found that this is the biggest quality generator that will fit in a barrel Amazon.com : Yamaha EF2800i 2, 800 Watt 171cc OHV 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden that I previously sent a few years ago which I will offer for sale if the new one makes it there.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004

Containers are scanned for anomalies and boxes are regularly and randomly checked. Beyond food and clothing, IF the barrel/box is scanned/opened you MAY be subject to further taxes.

It is sort of Dominican roulette, so many boxes arrive, especially from mid November through December that it is virtually impossible to check them all...but if they do....and you are not in compliance...expect to hear from your shipper.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THe aduana is a bit of a mystery about incoming barrels & shipments.

My BBQ is coming for $170.... with a part for my electric gate and BBQ cover..... it will pass through for that.
I shipped a TORO lawn mower 2-3 yrs ago.... $110 to my door (81 lb box)... all in

I declare all my stuff at the mudanza - TV's , sound bars, everything and have never been asked for more $$

Jan 9, 2004
THe aduana is a bit of a mystery about incoming barrels & shipments.

My BBQ is coming for $170.... with a part for my electric gate and BBQ cover..... it will pass through for that.
I shipped a TORO lawn mower 2-3 yrs ago.... $110 to my door (81 lb box)... all in

I declare all my stuff at the mudanza - TV's , sound bars, everything and have never been asked for more $$

Stuff sent outside the box/barrel is given an all-in price like your BBQ and lawnmower.

Stuff inside the barrel/box is supposed to be taxed beyond food/clothing, etc.

I guess it depends on the shippers relationship at Aduana.

20% gravamen and 18% IBIS is where the tax begins...IF the box/barrel is opened AND a propina is not given to the inspector, or IF you get the rare honest inspector who refuses the propina.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as I have posted before,
recently, they are asking for a more detailed listing of what I'm sending.

I have always thought that the 'propina' & 'tax' are included in the price.
Best example is the difference in price ($100) between shipping a new fridge and a used one.

just my take on it....in all my shipments since 2009, I have never been asked for more than my original quote.

Jan 9, 2004
as I have posted before,
recently, they are asking for a more detailed listing of what I'm sending.

I have always thought that the 'propina' & 'tax' are included in the price.
Best example is the difference in price ($100) between shipping a new fridge and a used one.

just my take on it....in all my shipments since 2009, I have never been asked for more than my original quote.

The problem is there are no hard and fast rules to go by. My shipper does not care if the refrigerator is new or used. He charges based on size, i.e. cu. ft. Just shipped a new one 2 months ago....and since I have the identical refrigerator in my home in the states, I did ask the question about price differential....$375...no matter which one I sent.

I have been hit twice for additional "tax." Never on separately sent items (refrigerator/barbecue). Both times on the contents of the box. However, I have sent over 50 boxes in 15 + years and consider that possibility each time I send one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2