Shopping for you neighbors

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK sometimes I'll pick up something for a neighbor, and I pay for it and they reimburse me - often over paying me. But I don't shop 'separately" for them, just a couple items I lump in my cart.

But today I was in Super Pola and their were two Dominican women together, each with their own cart.

I wound up behind them because I was at first behind a Chinese lady who was using her ATM card, except she didn't know the pin and she stood their after her items (dozens) had already been bagged - So after 5 minutes of her continuously texting and dialing from her phone I could see she wasn't going to finish in the short lifespan l have left, so I went to the line putting me behind the two older Dominican women.

So what transpired was they each had about 20 items each, but as they begin to have them scanned, then they would stop the cashier after each 3-5 items and pay. Sometimes with cash, once with a card. This went on as each lady was obviously buying for neighbors, a few limes, a plantain and some vinegar, STOP. Pay. Rescan a different Super Pola card, Scan some meat, one single orange, six bottles of water. Pay with cash, wait till the bagger bagged them and so forth until each one had doe the process 4 times.

After the 2nd lady scanned her last items, Adobo, butter and eggs - she didn't have enough to pay. She was about 35 pesos short, so she asked the other lady, after she had scoured her purse for every peso. The other lady had a 100 peso bill but then it became a discussion on who would pay her back....

Turns out the Chinese lady and the guy behind her and the woman after him all got out of the store before me.

Moral of the story - try not to get behind older Dominican women, as they are likely shopping for neighbors just like the Dominican men at ATMs, withdrawing from a dozen ATM cards (could be neighbors' cards or clones ?)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Another great reason to live on the North Coast?

Bravo has become my store of choice. Not so much for the selection, but because they always have a decent number of cashiers available.

I usually go around 3-4 in the afternoon when there is little traffic, few persons in the store, and almost always a cashier or two in waiting.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Another great reason to live on the North Coast?

Bravo has become my store of choice. Not so much for the selection, but because they always have a decent number of cashiers available.

I usually go around 3-4 in the afternoon when there is little traffic, few persons in the store, and almost always a cashier or two in waiting.
Super Pola doesn't seem to respond quickly when there is a backup.
I wonder if stores realize the faster they process shoppers the more money per hour they make.
I've walked in there several times before to pick up a couple items and spun on my heels and said fark it - too many people jambed up to bother

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Ah yes...
The dreaded line-up at the cashier in the grocery store.
The jockeying about trying to guess which line might move faster.
The tension of watching other lines moving faster than yours is only added to when a new cash is opened and all the people behind you notice it first and rush in, leaving you holding the bag...such as it were.
Or when the cashier puts up the "this cash closed" just as you're the next one in line.
Or like Chico mentions, somebody stops the whole thing down with some issue or another.
I guess it is just one of those things.
Who hasn't been there, done that.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Super Pola doesn't seem to respond quickly when there is a backup.
I wonder if stores realize the faster they process shoppers the more money per hour they make.
I've walked in there several times before to pick up a couple items and spun on my heels and said fark it - too many people jambed up to bother

Don't they have a 10 items or less line?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Not today and have you ever seen a Dominican shopper respect that?
Maybe they failed basic math and get confused how to count

I can tell you I have been told I have more than 10 items at Bravo a few times, but not often.

I've found it's usually better to go to Bravo mid-afternoon. The only good time to go to Sirena is at 7 in the morning.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can tell you I have been told I have more than 10 items at Bravo a few times, but not often.

I've found it's usually better to go to Bravo mid-afternoon. The only good time to go to Sirena is at 7 in the morning.
Do they make you go to a new line ?
I have seen people with full carts go into the Playero 10 items or less line and the cashier says nada.