Sick of the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Once again, Anna and Chris did not lose sight of the original question - way to go girls !
The OP did not ask for personal opinions, she asked for advice on how to go about things to start her planning. If you don't have any - well, go on to the next topic, please.
Although, I did not move to the DR after one AI visit, I did basically what she is about to embark on. I had basic spanish, and moved solely to immerse myself in the culture, to improve my spanish (which I know now is a lot harder than it sounds LOL ) I did not have a job, but had made contact with an ex-pat that had lived there for many years, as well as people who just lived the winters in Cofresi. I was determined to find a job and a decent place to stay, I pounded the pavement, and it took me one day. Very important - this was 14 years ago - this is not how it is today. The bottom line is, however, the same. If you have strength, determination, and a sense of right and wrong, you can conquer the everyday obstacles. You must have a back-up plan, available finances for emergencies, enough to carry you for at least 3 months ( if you don't find a job within that time, consider your travel to the DR as an extended vacation, and get on with life!) One of the biggest obstacles you will probably face is deciding who you can trust - Dominican and ex-pat alike. Not everybody there is a Hillbilly, Grahame, Chris, Ken to name a few!
I do think that the best approach is to visit the DR a few more times, not stay in an AI. Eat like a local, travel like a local, familiarize yourself with the local shops, supermarkets. Find where you can go to do laundry, meet with some of the people you have met on DR1, listen and learn. Then go back to Canada, figure out how much you will need to get you started, sit back and decide if this is how you want to live, then set your plan in motion.
I do frown upon the fact that your only DR experience is a one week visit to an AI, because that is the farthest thing from DR representation that one can get. That is why I suggest that more trips are needed to fully comprehend the Dominican way of life. If you do not heed that advice, I predict a lot of hardships that may come your way.
One last thing, utilize the search button - there is a wealth of info on this site, from success stories to horror stories, and everything in between.
I wish you the best of luck, and hopefully some of what I stated will help you in some small way.
Marlie
P.S. I no longer live in the DR, but not because of failing, a personal choice.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Yeah, mistakes sometimes open the doors of perception better than acid. one needs to experiment a bit in order to grow. The flamingo speaks truth. Marlie too, very good advice.

Dont worry, Katy leggz,if you have an open heart and open mind, can learn how to charm people here (hugs, warmth, a ready smile, a quip), you will fit right in. I can introduce you to all sorts of people your own age, dominicans and foreigners, upper class, lower class -- no sankies! Sankies, sheesh, I am beginning to think that all that some of the members here do is hang out at resorts and chase chicks/bugarones/sankies. This is a complete society down here with all kinds of people and ways of life. there is a huge group of people out there for you, and they are not DR1 members.

come down and visit, we?ll get the welcome wagon out.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Hey Mac

I think you stole the open heart and open mind piece from me- I want my royalty check!!! ;)
Life is all about perspective. One person's stumbling blocks will be another person's building blocks. A ship is safest in the harbor- but that is not what ships are for. You can see the game better from the stands- but experience it better on the field. A few of my favorite quotes if you need a few more mac...
kt, you are on the right track. Gather all the info you can- good and bad- and make your plan on how best to deal with it. I do think another trip here outside of an AI resort would be a good idea, so you have a better understanding of what "real" life here is like. There are plenty of us that are living the dream- but I can attest it was more of a nightmare in the beginning. This is not moving from Ottowa to Phoenix different, this is a whole different continent where the native language is not English. I manage on knowing a few Spanish phrases and learn more daily. I'm not afraid to ask when I have questions and never fully trust the answer I am given when I do. It is possible to live the dream, it is also possible to be caught up in a nightmare you can't wake up from.
The important thing is this: To be ready to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.

carls

Feb 28, 2006
HOWMAR said:
Please advise us what experience you base your "wise" advice on.:rolleyes:
I think that the OP will find it all inaccurate.

hey man ! don't be silly, be polite

LaGorditaDominicana

Feb 8, 2006
i going to move to dr when im 16 but i wanted to get a job over there maybe as a translator at an hotel because thats the type of job i am looking for but i'm not sure if there would be a jod like that availiable for me because of my age. i kno english and spanish fluently. can anyone plaese help me with this does anyone kno of any jobs that i can get? please help me.
- sulain

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
LaGorditaDominicana said:
i going to move to dr when im 16 but i wanted to get a job over there maybe as a translator at an hotel because thats the type of job i am looking for but i'm not sure if there would be a jod like that availiable for me because of my age. i kno english and spanish fluently. can anyone plaese help me with this does anyone kno of any jobs that i can get? please help me.
- sulain
Forget about it. The hotels would require you to have a cedula, which would require that you be 18. Maybe start by translating your post into acceptable English.

Sep 19, 2005
I knew that was coming

but hey typing and speaking are 2 different things.....

at least thats the excuse i use

hey I am not a secretary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
I knew that was coming

but hey typing and speaking are 2 different things.....

at least thats the excuse i use

hey I am not a secretary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha

bob
To Bob who is not looking for a job, but more importantly to Sulain who is. I work for a company in the DR which hires employees based on their ability to communicate in English. I never cease to be amazed at the number of letters and e-mails we receive which have either never been proofread or the applicant simply didn't care about its contents. The biggest offenders are not the Dominicans which were educated in English schools in the DR, but those that grew up and were educated in the U.S. I admit that my grammer skills are far from perfect, but Sulain, use proper English as you never know if a prospective employer might see your posts and have a job offer for you.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Howmar:

You are correct about making a proper first impression with a cover letter, resume, or post on an internet board. However, I would not work for you in any capacity for even $US250K a year after reading your sarcastic and obnoxious posts. I hope you are really not as miserable in person as you come across on DR1.

Have a nice day!

Tambo'

G

gary short

HOWMER.........u hier iinglis pearsins? i wass a electilble constractore for twehnty yeears. i will be avaliayble for constracts in tha dr . i haved organedized progiits up too an incluced 20.mion in canda..

Status
Not open for further replies.