Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Views from top floors of the soon to open new Hotel at Silver Sun:

228981_10150281182438586_786158585_7650877_2268480_n.jpg

284871_10150281182663586_786158585_7650879_4040952_n.jpg

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Man, I really like that building!! It's one of my favorites.

I think I'll be much happier when I start to see more steel used in those towers than just plain old concrete columns...

Steel frees up a lot of lost space to massive concrete support columns and provides better seismic conditioning than concrete.

I guess concrete is favored for now over steel for the fire proofing it provides, given how poorly the fire fighting assets still remain in the city and all over the country.

I find that in the DR, projects where commercial and mixed use towers are employed, still waste away too much of the available footprint that could be better exploited by extending it vertically with the tower themselves.

This design atop is barely using about 30% of the footprint to exploit the RE beyond the first few ground floors.

The capped columns on the left, make me wonder if this will be a twin tower in a future phase perhaps... As the elevator and main core has been erected on the inside external wall, rather than in the middle as usual for this type of project. Making that observation based on the potential ease to use a floor by floor bridge to link a future tower to that side core elevator bank?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Hyatt was pushed out by Hilton from new building!

Hilton to open hotel in Silver Sun Gallery.
EmbassySuites-logo.jpg

Santo Domingo
Hilton Worldwide announced the operation of an Embassy Suites by Hilton 200 suites on Silver Sun shopping center, a shopping center in final stages of construction in the center of the capital.

The Embassy Suites Santo Domingo will be the third hotel of the firm in the Dominican Republic, as there is an Embassy Suites by Hilton in Metro Country Club in Juan Dolio, with 125 rooms, and the Hilton Santo Domingo with 228 rooms.

The new upscale Hotel will open in the second quarter of 2013, on Avenida Tiradentes, Naco sector in the central part of the city.
The 200 suites have a living room, bedroom, bathrooms, equipped with microwave, mini-fridge, coffeemaker, two flat screen TVs and high definition. It will offer a fitness center and business center.

It will offer the well known signature Cooked-to-order breakfast,
There will also be more than 16,000 square feet of enclosed space for meetings, including two ballrooms, lounge and 4,300 square feet of space for outdoor events.

Silver Sun shopping center is a three-level mall of shops, five cinemas, food court, playground of entertainment and five levels of underground parking.

"We are pleased to announce the development of our third Hilton hotel in the Dominican Republic, and proud to do it with RDC Development, SA," said Danny Hughes, senior vice president, Caribbean, Mexico and Latin America, Hilton Worldwide.
The executive said the hotel was established in the business district of the Dominican capital for the growth trend in the area.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
564003_445776538795385_2056441585_n.jpg

Office Depot overhauls retail format to fortify sales

By Marcia Heroux Pounds / Sun Sentinel
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Office Depot concedes it hasn't been taking care of business when it comes to its retail store customers.
The big-box retail concept offering thousands of office-supply products was no longer working.
"Our model was broken," said Kevin Peters, head of the retail division for Boca Raton, Fla.-based Office Depot.
So when Mr. Peters was given the job a year ago, he donned a baseball cap and became a "mystery shopper" in more than 70 Office Depot U.S. retail stores.

On his retail store tour, Mr. Peters spent time in store parking lots to see how many customers walked away without bags. When he asked customers about it, he would get answers such as, "I don't get the help I need," and, "It's not easy to shop."

The experience led Mr. Peters to recommend an overhaul of Office Depot's retail stores that includes reducing the size of stores; shrinking the inventory to the best-selling products; emphasizing its technology, print and copy services; and hiring more full-time employees. Previously, Office Depot hired mostly part-time workers.

"We're talking to customers more today than we ever have been," Mr. Peters said. "We need our customers a lot more than they need us."
Smaller-format Office Depot stores are in Delray Beach, Fla.; Baltimore; Silver Springs, Md.; Washington, D.C.; and Arlington, Va.

Read more: Office Depot overhauls retail format to fortify sales - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The new format was fully enforced for the DR as an emerging market for Office Depot. First they got a warehouse location where they could receive the goods directly from the ports in less than an hour. Then they made sure that the site was able to expand as needed on future demand. They started supplying biz to biz service to Dominican small/medium and large biz on a delivery basis only for the first 16 months, thus creating the inventory circulation to support opening store locations to offer the wares as retailer to walk in clients. Pretty much the same model employed by most Dominican biz people, that start their own from their home office and once big enough, move to the formal market by opening a store to the public.

This model allows a biz to cover the needed expenses of doing biz, while making sure the biz will only go up in sales as new leads will jsut waltz in from the street unlike the home based biz before.

Office Depot will continue to open new stores using the smaller footprint and dedicated services all around the DR's main cities. Their next step after that will target the study centers around the country, by creating the express stores on a new level of service for the company. Just like Denny's did with their first and only airport based store in the DR, Office Depot will carry out the same to a new level, which will bring the Office Depot personal/commercial credit card and lucrative sponsorship in a range of sports/activities in the country.

There will be a faster pace now of new stores opening for Office Depot, as Staples/Office Max are lurking to open shop in the country as well.