Skin surgeon in Santo Domingo?

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Just to clarify, I am not talking about plastic surgery, I need a dermatologist who performs surgeries too, to remove a carcinoma from the skin. The one I have to remove needs to be removed surgically, not by laser or other methods, so I need a doctor who really knows what he's doing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ha! You like that page, doncha AE?

Not really, I just know that MOHS surgery is the only way to go with skin cancer, Google sent me there. I’ve had MOHS surgery three times over several decades. After they surgically remove the cancer, they have a machine that examines the edges microscopically looking for “roots” while you wait. If they find any, they know they didn’t get it all and they go back and cut a little more, until edges are clear.

Reactions: Farmer and PCMike

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Not really, I just know that MOHS surgery is the only way to go with skin cancer, Google sent me there. I’ve had MOHS surgery three times over several decades. After they surgically remove the cancer, they have a machine that examines the edges microscopically looking for “roots” while you wait. If they find any, they know they didn’t get it all and they go back and cut a little more, until edges are clear.
That's a good point, you said you had that MOHS surgery three times, was it in DR?

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
there are 4 I found:

This page shows four plastic surgeons, nothing said about any of them being the MOHS surgeons, so I doubt they have that machine to examine the edges you talked about. I doubt anybody has that machine here to examine it right on the spot during the surgery. How they do it here is they take it out and send to biopsy to see if the edges are clear. And you get the biopsy results in two weeks (if not longer) and if it comes back saying that it was cut not deep enough, then probably you have to do it again. On top of that, as far as I know, there are only few doctors (like four) who do the biopsy, so all the samples from all the country come to them and that's why you have to wait weeks sometimes for biopsy results.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Dra. Yohanna Duplan at Cedimat. Just had a tumor removed from my scalp a few months ago. No pain and great follow up from her!
Does she speak English? If you don't mind to give some details, was your surgery done in her office or in a surgery room, under local anesthesia or how? As I understand, as a new forum member I'm not able to send a PM to you, but maybe you could answer me by PM, if you don't want to post details here... thank you!

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Dr Sanchez at CDerma based on my own experience with skin biopsy

Also, most dermatologist market themselves as cosmetic surgeons since it's easy money (Botox, peels, etc)

Big

Apr 24, 2019
ditto, 3 times. Paying for my Coppertone days at the beach.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
that was the equivalent of encouraging skin cancer. I could have a lawsuit.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
ditto, 3 times. Paying for my Coppertone days at the beach.

Me too. Bain de Soleil was my choice. I’d have my radio playing, and every 30 minutes the station would ring a bell and say. “It’s time to turn over”. Like a rotisserie chicken. ☹️

First time I had skin cancer I saw a physician at NYU in Manhattan. He said I was his first Italian patient.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
that was the equivalent of encouraging skin cancer. I could have a lawsuit.
A bunch of us who lifted together back in the early 90s used to hit the tanning beds daily. We didn't use the goggles and placed a sock you know where. We used these tanning accelerators meant for those beds. When we hit the bars, girls would say hey look it's those burnt tan mo.fo's

Sophia Loren, excuse the misspelling

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Does she speak English? If you don't mind to give some details, was your surgery done in her office or in a surgery room, under local anesthesia or how? As I understand, as a new forum member I'm not able to send a PM to you, but maybe you could answer me by PM, if you don't want to post details here... thank you!
Yes, she speaks English as do some of her support staff. I never felt "out of the loop" due to my limited Spanish. She has performed 2 major operations on me. She feels more like a friend than a stranger! BTW... the biopsy took 4 days, for both operations...not weeks as mentioned.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AlterEgo, you said you had that MOHS surgery three times, was at least one of them in DR?

No, NY and NJ. MOHS trained doctors have specialized training, I was actually surprised that Google gave 4 possibilities. How is your Spanish? I’d call all 4 and ask specifically about MOHS. No idea how they pronounce it there, in English it sounds like “MOWS” as in mowing a lawn.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
No, NY and NJ. MOHS trained doctors have specialized training, I was actually surprised that Google gave 4 possibilities. How is your Spanish? I’d call all 4 and ask specifically about MOHS. No idea how they pronounce it there, in English it sounds like “MOWS” as in mowing a lawn.
My Spanish is OK but something tells me that all 4 have no idea what MOHS means and that this MOHS thing is non-existent in DR. But I will check. Actually, first I want to visit a doctor that PCMike recommended, and also ask her if such thing as MOHS exists here at all, if not I have to do it anyway, just the way they do it here.

Reactions: AlterEgo