SKY Dominicana

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I have the biggest package and no there is no ABC, CBS or NBC.

We do have TNT but not TBS and I think we have USA but I have to double check that one.....

SKY had not opened the office in Puerto Plata yet but that should happen any time now.... or so I am told......... of course that is Dominican time.....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I guess if I even knew what an FTA was I would maybe think about it. I am definately not on the leading edge of this technology.....LOL

I got SKY only because I was having such a hard time getting a cable box installed. We waited months for one to be available.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Free and sometimes blocked

I guess if I even knew what an FTA was...

FTA stands for Free to Air.
FTA receivers can - with the help of a dish antenna - receive television and radio signals from satellites; some of those signals are not scrambled.

Most channels, however, are scrambled and viewers have to subscribe to a provider's service to be able to see the programmes.

Certain FTA receivers can be programmed to unscramble signals without paying fees.
From time to time providers change their signal stream in such a way that an FTA receiver will not be able to get the provider's channels.
Whenever this happens, so called 'coders' find ways to unblock the FTA-receivers and publish helping files on the OpenDNS..

At least this is what I am told... ;)

mountainfrog

Feb 7, 2007
Hello,

Does someone know about those softwares that offer more than 200 channels via
Internet ?

Thanks

That wouldn't be a software but rather a satellite receiver, and it wouldn't be via Internet but via satellite signal with Internet key sharing.

Another thing (on the opposite end of spectrum) is Slinger.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
They (sky) do have something called the american channel which has a mix of network shows: oprah, racheal ray, dave letterman, cbs evening new and 60 minutes. I do miss the network channels, but the nfl sunday ticket makes up for it - for me anyways. the service was fantastic, came to install the next day, and has held up during bad weather. overall, i am satisfied...

Feb 7, 2007
I do miss the network channels, but the nfl sunday ticket makes up for it - for me anyways.

For people that want U.S. networks, there are several options that can be pursued from the D.R. without ever leaving the country.

"Nfusion" and "Dish Flex" come to my mind, combined with the use of EPS/Transepress and similar.

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
I knew what you meant! :cheeky: I absolutely hate CCs but I do understand that these can help your credit score.

Lin
:bunny:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello,

Does someone know about those softwares that offer more than 200 channels via
Internet ?

Thanks
Don't get your hopes up.

They just supply links to TV stations that offer internet streaming after downloading some software like TVAnts or SopCast. The quality depends on the person doing the streaming and how much bandwidth you and they have.

Often the quality just sucks.

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Jan 2010 - more recent info available?

I am interested in knowing what the current status of the 'Sky' TV service is, especially in POP. Anybody have 1, 2 years experience? Comments? Negative? Positive? Recomendations? Thank you.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Here in Las Terrenas we have had SKY for several months, picture quality is good except in heavy rain. With the exception of the selection of kids channels most of the channels are dead boring. There is a very small choice of Dominican channels likewise channels showing up to date Telenovellas. International sport with the exception of soccer and North American games is abysmal - no rugby. Although part of the Rupert Murdoch group their technical offerings lag years behind European SKY, no internet, no telephone, no interactive and SKY has this objectionable habit of putting their own publicity on top of the channels own programming telling people all about offers etc to Mexican viewers. As soon as N3 encryption is hacked we?re going back to FTA.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Sky sattelite wanted in cabarete???infoplease???

HI I AM LOOKING FOR THE INFO ON HOW TO CONNECT TO SKY DOMINICANA IN CABARETE ( I CANT GET CABLE) WHERE DO YOU GET CONNECTED(OFFICE??) USED TO BE AN OFFICE IN sOSUA BUT NO MORE I HEARD IS THERE APHONE # TO CALL AND WHAT IS THE MINIMUM TIME PERIOD YOU CAN SIGN UP FOR? THANKS FOR ANY HELP?

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
HOW DID YOU JOIN SKY??I NEED IT IN CABARETE !!hELP PLESPLEASE

i guess if i even knew what an fta was i would maybe think about it. I am definately not on the leading edge of this technology.....lol

i got sky only because i was having such a hard time getting a cable box installed. We waited months for one to be available.

hi i need to know how to get sky in cabarete is there an office some where? Also what is the minimun amt of time period to subscribe? ,,,,,,,also how to you post a new thread on dr1 i am new and dont see how??...clueless in paradise hehe

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to Freddy's across from the small Supermarket just before the light at the gas station in Sosua. There is an office where the Electric Co. is. You can sign up there. I say Freddy's because he has or had the contract. I am not current on this, but awhile ago he could sign you up.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
DO YOU KNOW how long the minimun sign time duration is? And if there are 2 studio apt.next to each other do you think you couldrig it to work in each paying for two tvs?heheh

Reactions: waytogo

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sky

I have had Sky for about a year now here in Las Terrenas. It is very reliable and I very rarely lose service even in a hard rain. The programing options are good and relatively cheap compared to the states. I pay about 1500 pesos a month, which includes a small discount if you pay your bill within 10 days. Also I spoke to a service rep and down the road they will be offering HD. It could be 6-12 months before it happens. They are making it available in Mexico first, which seems to be their home base of operations. I believe you have to sign a contract to commit to service for an initial 18 month period. The cost of the install and hardware was reasonable. They also send your bill each month via e-mail. The only drawback is that you can not pay over the internet but have to take your bill to a bank, which in my case, is Banreserva and pay there. If you are into sports they offer a good mix with soccer as their primary sport. You get soccer games from almost all leagues around the world. They also have NFL football on Sunday afternoon, evening and the monday night game. They offer NFL sunday ticket as an option. They also show various baseball games, hockey games and a little NBA basketball. You have Fox Sports and ESPN Desportes out of Mexico and once and a while ESPN progamming from the US. Also you get NFL channel included in your standard programming. News channels offered are Fox, CNN International and BBC. I really like the service and have had very few glitches with the total package.

S

Reactions: waytogo