Slick Willy to woo Dems?? For how much?

FALCON

May 8, 2005
Carter had that and...

Having the coveted seat next to propagandist-extrordianire Michael Moore and being buddies with the Reverend Al Sharpton ( nice big anti-semite that he is). Belive me, Carter has only one thing he drools over, the prospect of a Nobel Peace Prize. Yet, I digress.

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Carter

He has never succeeded in building a legacy so he has to be content in building houses. He never met a dictator he didn't like, Chavez being the latest. His presidency was glorified by high unemployment and interest rates plus when the chips were down he hung the Shan of Iran out to dry blowing oil prices sky high. Oh did I forget to mention the hostages in Tehran?
Funny they were released when Pres. Reagan was taking office, they didn't want to deal with a Republican president.
Bless you all....

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
What's his name?

I'm always amazed that Canadians are more astute and all knowing about American politics than U.S. citizens. By the way, what was the name of that guy all the Canadians voted for in 2000, Al somebody.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jerry K said:
Funny they were released when Pres. Reagan was taking office, they didn't want to deal with a Republican president.
Bless you all....
Sorry, but Carter was a Democrat.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jerry K said:
I'm always amazed that Canadians are more astute and all knowing about American politics than U.S. citizens. By the way, what was the name of that guy all the Canadians voted for in 2000, Al somebody.
I bet a US citizen can't name one Canadian Prime Minister :laugh:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Muy loco, Senor???

FALCON said:
Having the coveted seat next to propagandist-extrordianire Michael Moore and being buddies with the Reverend Al Sharpton ( nice big anti-semite that he is). Belive me, Carter has only one thing he drools over, the prospect of a Nobel Peace Prize. Yet, I digress.

How did you manage to get President Carter, Rev. Al Sharpton, and anti-semitism related in your post?

You are implying that President Carter is anti-semitic because he belongs to the same political party as Rev. Al Sharpton, who you alleged is anit-semitic.

What utter nonsense, all bull crap, Senor Loco Falcon!!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I guess it shows your ignorance

Jerry K said:
Bless you all....
Late President Regan was a Republican and President Carter is a Democrat. Just a little Civics lesson, Mr. Intelligent Jerry K.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
I bet a US citizen can't name one Canadian Prime Minister :laugh:
Everyone who remembers Carter remembers Pierre Trudeau (roughly the same time period) and his wife Margaret and her tryst with the Rolling Stones.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
rellosk said:
Everyone who remembers Carter remembers Pierre Trudeau (roughly the same time period) and his wife Margaret and her tryst with the Rolling Stones.
If you are an american my friend, I stand corrected. Let me re-phrase my question. "I bet that most US citizens, who are not heavily involved or informed in the political workings of our great society, would most likely not be able to name more than one prior Canadian Prime Minister"

p.s. My quote was said in jest, not to open up a new debate, please don't ruin my poke at fun.

Thank you and once again, Regards.
Ricardo

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
..p.s. My quote was said in jest, not to open up a new debate, please don't ruin my poke at fun.
Ricardo, no debate intended (this is not a debate forum:)), my post was also said in fun. That's why I made the reference to Margaret Trudeau, whom at the time, was more well known in the US than her Prime Minister husband, Pierre.

My bad for not adding smiley faces to the end of my previous post.:):):):)

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Jerry K said:
Guys I think the sentence above has been misinterpreted. I think what Jerry meant was that the hostages were released because no one wanted to deal with the new republican president Mr. Regan Not that president Carter was a republican.

NotLurking

Jerry K

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks NonLurking, this thread has gone seriously off topic
Martin Mulroney

Last edited:

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Right or wrong, former President Clinton has been an advocate of free trade in the Americas for a long time, so it is not a surprise to find him endorsing the DR-CAFTA agreement. It was during his time as President that NAFTA (which was also supported by then former President George H. Bush) was approved. As we can see, sometimes, Republicans and Democrats do agree on things, with the exceptions of idiots on the extreme corners of both parties.

Example: despite recent lies in this respect during a recent speech by presidential adviser Karl Rove, pretty much everyone in the US political spectrum agreed to go into Afghanistan and kick some Taliban butt, as the case was clear that these were the headquarters of Al-Qaida and those fanatics had planned and executed the attacks of 9-11. Quite a different thing with the case for invading Iraq, where reasonable people on both parties questioned the wisdom of a going after Saddam at a time when the fight against the terrorists might have been better focused elsewhere. Some on both parties disagreed on strategic grounds, others on ideological grounds, others on economic grounds, others on legal grounds, etc. The fact that so many friendly nations internationally, as well as unquestionably patriotic, but rational individuals citizens within the nation disagreed with invading Iraq shows that serious questions remained in making a case for that war. Extremists, and some reasonable people think George W. is one, just because they are on "our side" are no less an extremist and dangerous to the world.

That digression having been stated, it is not either immoral nor illegal for a private citizen (even a special private citizen like a former president of a free, capitalist country to speak out on any issue. They can, and should, speak out on behalf of issues they favor, for whatever reason. They can cash on it too, as long as they declare the source of that income. If he hides it then he might have an ethical and/or legal problem, on top of whatever political problem he may have created for himself.

Another digression: during the recent PRD administration- the now infamous, but then wunderkind head of Baninter and the List?n Diario, Ram?n B?ez Figueroa paid Bill Clinton to come to Casa de Campo to address the meeting of the Sociedad Interamericana de la Prensa, which is trade group of hemispheric newsmedia outlets. Does that make Clinton part of the Dominican banking scandal? Of course not.

Oversimplifying logic and similarly biased conclusions as displayed on some posts of this thread, do not clarify nor answer HB's reasonably simple observation, instead they murk the waters with innuendo and ad hominem mudslinging against someone (be it Clinton, Bush or Carter) that they either dislike or like. If I understood the original post, it should be irrelevant whether we like or hate Clinton to try to answer the question posted by our revered guru from Santiago, Mr. HB.

- Tordok

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Back to the original post....I for one think Clinton was a great president and If he's on the side of The DR (even if not because of self altruism) I like him even more. We need people like him to be on our side, because otherwise CAFTA is going to get hammered by people like the cuban/sugar lobby/mafia in Miami.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Clinton was for NAFTA, thus part of the reason the American right dislike him so much.
Say what you will about his moral behavior behind closed doors, but Clinton took Republican platforms, NAFTA and welfare reform, and made them his own and got them passed.

For those who are GOP on this site and are critical of Clinton, because, well, everything Clinton does you'd criticize, remember one thing, NAFTA was Papa Bush's idea, "Slick" Willie just ran with it and got it done.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
but did he get paid to support dr crafta

The question was did he get paid to lobby for the treaty? Since his wife is a person that votes on it then we have a conflict of interest.
John

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
jsizemore said:
The question was did he get paid to lobby for the treaty? Since his wife is a person that votes on it then we have a conflict of interest.
John

Doesn't look like Mr. Clinton would get paid by anyone for his support of CAFTA. Former presidents in the US make most of their money from speaking engagement fees. And they get a lot. But they pretty much choose what to say or not to say, regardless of who's footing the bill or what any given audience expects to hear.

That's NOT lobbying. It's privately funded public policy opinions by a prominent citizen. Actually registering as a paid lobbyist doesn't quite cut it for former presidents precisely to avoid the kind of discussion we are having on this forum since they could be perceived to be favoring positions only in order to aid a particular paying client. Big no, no.

Just so happens that many former members of his Democratic cabinet have supported the Republican CAFTA-DR bill as espoused by President GW Bush.

President Leonel Fernandez of the DR did ask him (not pay) for both his, and his wife's support.

http://www.fibre2fashion.com/news/NewsDetails.asp?News_id=15417

Apparently Leonel had more of an impact on Bill than he did on Hillary. She voted against the trade agreement. There you go, genuine separation of powers in the Clinton household.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...un30,0,5960569.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

- Tordok

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
jsizemore, did he get paid by whom? No one wants this passed more than Dubya, so do you think Dubya's paying him to round up support in Latin America?

Yeah, I doubt it also.