So let's kick off with the menopause -only ladies post

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not really DR-related or women-specific. If I start one it would have to be in OT, unless we get Robert to open yet another forum for all the old farts to moan about their ailments. :D

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ok, I was rooting for the lady only forum, but I am not close to menopause and my problem is oversleeping :rambo:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It's not really DR-related or women-specific. If I start one it would have to be in OT, unless we get Robert to open yet another forum for all the old farts to moan about their ailments. :D

Well my insomnia is DR related as it has to do with cockerels crowing and goats bleating which there weren't a lot of in Central London and the pills I use have Dominican names - so me thinks it is. Add onto that the heat and the mosquitoes and bats in the bedroom, seems pretty DR related to me.

Matilda

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I have heard from many menopausal women that they suffer from sleep interruptions (as a result of lower estrogen levels). So insomnia might be common for all groups but it is of interest in this discussion. Different from the even one glass of wine mid sleep cycle interruption.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Love the pic, Matilda.

I've always had this tendency to wake up too early - it appears to run in the family - even my teenage son is an early riser like me, my dad, and my grandmother. Lately though it's been worse than ever, probably due to the menopause - I get up at 4 or 5, and rarely manage to get back to sleep.

I found this article this morning but already apply most of the advice listed, so any additional tips welcome.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/too-early-to-get-up-too-late-to-get-back-to-sleep

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Like Chiri I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. And it is not a restful sleep. On the occasion I stay at my MIL in the campo forget sleep. Funny thing I do not remember my own mother going through menopause but I surely remember my Aunt (mom's sister) going through it. I think the whole family remembers that.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing helped me until I went on low dose HRT.
I'll ask the gynaecologist next time I visit.

Like Chiri I wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning and can't go back to sleep. And it is not a restful sleep. On the occasion I stay at my MIL in the campo forget sleep. Funny thing I do not remember my own mother going through menopause but I surely remember my Aunt (mom's sister) going through it. I think the whole family remembers that.
The sleep I do get is usually good quality - small blessing. Today I woke up at 6:05 and felt a tremendous sense of achievement.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I found I woke a lot more in DR. In my case, I don't think menopause causes my insomnia, but who knows?  

Dogs in our campo seem to sleep all day and bark all night, roosters think it's dawn at 2 am, motors, music, etc.   When we have electricity at night, the AC blocks most of it because the windows are also closed. The answer for us is white noise. We have a large, noisy pedestal fan that helps a lot. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think my problem is that I am a light sleeper so any small noise wakes me. I now take dormilong which is like benadryl and also 0.25mg of hrt which is hardly anything. I wake with the cockerels at 4ish then if I can manage to keep dozing till they stop at 7.30, I may sleep soundly for another hour. Usually I am up by 6, but that means I am tired by 7 or 8 pm so go to bed then. Most people in the campo are in bed by 9 and up by 5 or 6, so I am like them now.